Healthiest way of eating

Options
With all the information available online (and much of it contradictory), is anyone able to offer an insight into the healthiest way of eating long term?

Replies

• ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yes, all of this can be extremly overwhemling.
    I have tried every "diet" out there! you name it, and I have done it. then of course I put the weight back on, somtimes even more.
    For me...the only way I could make healthy eating long term, and a LIFESTYLE change, was to prep all my meals for the week. every sunday I would sit down and make a plan depending on my goals and write out a shopping list. Then I would come home and litteraly cooked EVERY MEAL ( 6 meals a day) for the entire week. This left me with ZERO excuses! I always had food ready for me. for me this is easy to stick to. :)
    I have truly changed my lifestyle of eating and staying in shape

Best of luck to you!
  • daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I won't tell you IIFYM is the best, I will say I used and still continue to use IIFYM and lost 170lbs. You won't be missing out on the so called "bad foods", the majority of your intake will be healthy, you'll hold on to your sanity and for me, I found it a lot easier to maintain and stay consistent.
  • kwirky112
    kwirky112 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of IIFYM but have googled it so will read up on it. Thanks :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ....is eating everything in moderation, your welcome. :D;)

ETA: Lost 121 pounds doing that.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different needs. So I dont think there is a one size fits all on this. I think the "myplate" template or oldways pyramids are good in helping plan meals/days.

I personally eat a low fat vegetarian diet,and that is how I like to eat. I count calories to make sure my weight stays were I want it to.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Some people are totally turned off by the way I eat, (beans and rice! Soup! Potatoes!) and I in turn find some ways of eating that are totally boring and unappetizing to me.

different strokes and all.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition which requires avoiding certain foods, eat what you want in moderation.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as healthiest way of eating. What one person deems healthy could be unhealthy for another. For me? Higher protein and moderate carbs and fat keeps my body balanced and my levels in check.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Figure out a 500 calorie deficit and eat to that number.
    get a food scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    log all your food.
    adhere to marco percent/breakdowns if you care about body composition
    no food is "healthy" or "bad" or insert descriptive here..at the end of the day it is just food that your body uses for energy.
    Do not restrict anything. If you want bread, eat it; if you want ice cream, have it; just make sure you maintain your calorie deficit.
    sugar and carbs are no evil
    work out/move more if you want to, but it is not necessary for weight loss.
    repeat all this until you get desired results…
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you can adhere to, if you have any medical co.ditions, if you are training, what you are training for, etc. all have to be considered
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Healthy vs unhealthy is very subjective. There's also a big difference if we're talking about healthy in terms of weight or healthy in regards to overall wellness.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    There is all kinds of research showing a plant based diet is great for long term health......check out nutritionfacts.org.....
  • Born_2_Lose
    Born_2_Lose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eat as close to the earth as possible...shop only on the outsides of the grocery store. Whole foods, grains, sprouted breads, lean meats, loads of fruits and veggies...no processed or canned foods. Rule of thumb....Eat like our ancestors did (they were farmers). Best of luck to you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Meet your essentials (macros and micros) for optimal performance regardless of what you do physically and stay within a reasonable calorie limit. What is considered healthy to some isn't healthy to others. A vegan would deem meat as unhealthy. Paleo people don't do grains. And keto people don't feel carbs are ideal at all.
    IMO, there are no real bad foods, just foods that are less nutrient dense than others.
    But first and foremost, meet your essentials.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Eat as close to the earth as possible...shop only on the outsides of the grocery store. Whole foods, grains, sprouted breads, lean meats, loads of fruits and veggies...no processed or canned foods. Rule of thumb....Eat like our ancestors did (they were farmers). Best of luck to you!
    I'm already eating on the earth so does this makes me ultra healthy?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

as opposed to eating on Mars?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I like to eat like our hunter-gatherer ancestors. Naked and hairy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I'm already eating on the earth so does this makes me ultra healthy?
    Only if you're lying on the dirt outside naked while eating = Uber healthy
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    ardavis23 wrote: »
    yes, all of this can be extremly overwhemling.
    I have tried every "diet" out there! you name it, and I have done it. then of course I put the weight back on, somtimes even more.
    For me...the only way I could make healthy eating long term, and a LIFESTYLE change, was to prep all my meals for the week. every sunday I would sit down and make a plan depending on my goals and write out a shopping list. Then I would come home and litteraly cooked EVERY MEAL ( 6 meals a day) for the entire week. This left me with ZERO excuses! I always had food ready for me. for me this is easy to stick to. :)
    I have truly changed my lifestyle of eating and staying in shape

Best of luck to you!

Could you share what an example of your week's prep might be? I am really interested in doing this.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options