Running socks... how are they different from regular socks?

Options
Does anyone use special running socks? I'm just guessing they might have more cushioning in them, correct?

Does anyone have any they recommend?

Replies

• runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    just make sure your socks are not cotton!!!! blisters!
  • skhny
    skhny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My son is a distance runner and he wears them on long runs. They are tighter fitting so they don't bunch and are made from materials that won't chaffe and help keep your feet drier. They do also have some additional padding because distance spikes are very light and don't have any padding. They also help support your arch. He has so many kinds I have no idea which he likes best, everytime we buy a new pair of trainers he picks up some. You should try a pair and see if you like them! We buy all his running stuff from Fleet Feet they are great there and very helpful!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    They wick away moisture better. I only wear running socks for working out and for running. My husband is a dedicated runner so I usually just steal his.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use special running socks? I'm just guessing they might have more cushioning in them, correct?

Does anyone have any they recommend?

They're different in a few ways:

-First, they are synthetic and designed to wick sweat away from your foot instead of absorbing it. This reduces chafing and blisters as well as helping you to feel cooler. Cotton socks absorb sweat and then the sock moves against your foot, creating friction and blisters.

-They sometimes do have extra cushioning

-Often, they fit the foot more closely to prevent chafing and blisters

-They may also have very strategic seam placement or be seamless, again to reduce chafing and blisters

-Believe it or not, they last much longer than cotton socks, too!

I've always been really happy with the Asics socks. I can't recall which model number I have, but it is tighter around the arch and has cushioning on the bottom.
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I SWEAR by my balga socks. I prefer very thin socks over cushioning socks. I can run long distances in them and my feet do not feel sweaty. They are more expensive but I think they are a great investment!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    PS- I personally like smart wool socks... smartwool.com
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have double layer socks that I wear for running and I never get the "hot spots" on the bottom of my feet when I wear them, which was a problem with my regular sweat socks. They keep my feet pretty dry and I never get blisters running.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When I started c25k and started running I randomly bought some karrimore running socks with my trainers because they were on offer and I've got to say they do feel great! They feel so supportive round the arch of my foot. I would definitely buy more in the future.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i wear a sock made by Brooks. not only do they keep my feet cool and dry but they are more elastic than my other socks and give a little support in the arch as well as some extra padding on the heel.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i wear a sock made by Brooks. not only do they keep my feet cool and dry but they are more elastic than my other socks and give a little support in the arch as well as some extra padding on the heel.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I use Smartwool running socks and Injinji Nuwool running socks. They take some getting used to, but wick away the moisture really fast. And they definitely absorb the stink from my running shoes...
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Never knew such a thing existed until now.
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    This is all interesting.. thank you. I wasn't sure if these were more for long distance runners or just casual runners. I'm only a beginner and probably won't run more than a 5k, but I still may head to Fleet Feet and get a pair and try them out.

I like how it was mentioned they can provide support.. i have problems with my arches/plantar fasciatis
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm a long distance runner and I rarely wear special socks. I do have a few pair of Drymax but I don't normally wear them. I don't get blisters either. I just make sure they are pulled on snugle when I start so that they aren't bunched up. I actually prefer running sockless but my shoes would become pretty offensive, so I wear a low cut sock now.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What people like in thier socks can be just as diverse as what they prefer for thier shoes.
    I love my smartwool socks. I have some addidas socks that are nice too and a pair of Nike dri-fit that now they have stretched out a little are much better than when I 1st got them.
    I have some asics pairs that give me hot spots if I run farther than 3 miles in them.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wore Thorlos for a long time - now my favorites are Balgas and Nike Dri-Fit. I like the ones with the little tab in back that keep the sock from sliding down your heel.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thor-lo running socks are awesome and have allowed me to become such a better runner. Next to being fitted for running shoes, this is the best thing you can do for your feet. Good-Bye blisters!!!

Most socks are made of socks which retain moisture, running socks help remove the moisture from your feet.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I used to wear cheap socks but a few years ago after I did a 10 mile race I had a blood blister the size of my head on the bottom of my foot - definitely convinced me of the importance of good socks.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You can find some cheaper ones at Old Navy or some similar stores because I know some of the running stores can charge you an arm and a leg for a pair of Balegas. I love the synthetic fiber socks so much now, that I'm almost always wearing them. I never get that prunie feeling in my toes after a hard run anymore. I love it!