oatmeal challenge

Options
eat a serving of oats for breakfast every day for a year. whole grains are an important part of a balanced breakfast.
A balanced breakfast has 1 tbs nuts or seeds, 1/2 cup fruit, and 2 whole eggs.
Whole grains have a good source of fiber, and start your day with some good carbs, insoluble fiber that will keep you fuller longer. Anyone want to do this with me. I need some encouragement.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would you want the same breakfast EVERY DAY for a year...? No thanks!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    But... But bacon!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bmm7414 wrote: »
    eat a serving of oats for breakfast every day for a year. whole grains are an important part of a balanced breakfast.
    Whole grains have a good source of fiber, and start your day with some good carbs, insoluble fiber that will keep you fuller longer. Anyone want to do this with me. I need some encouragement.

Think I'd go mental!!! Why do you want to limit yourself to the same meal every day? there are sooooo many other foods with good nutritional value that you can have, keep it different :p

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but variety is the spice of life! :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I need some encouragement.
    You'll also need a plunger.
  • katsiavac
    katsiavac Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I stick to 30g traditional oats, 80g natural yogurt with about 10 blueberries, morning tea & coffee,
    An egg if feeling hungry. I vary on weekends but find the oats are fantastic and long lasting.
    My breakfasts equate to approx 1100kj's and keep me going to lunch.
    Good luck and wish you every success!! You can do it!!! Happy New year!!!! May 2015 be a memorable year, full of possibilities!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    But... But bacon!
    put the bacon in the porridge. problem solved.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast isn't a requirement to lose weight or be healthy. And the same goes for whole grains.

And your example of a balanced breakfast doesn't even include the oatmeal. Or whole grains.

Measuring nuts, or anything else really for that matter, in cups and tablespoons will lead to wildly inaccurate calorie counting. Liquids belong in cups and tablespoons, solids should be weighed with a food scale.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Also OP, your profile says you're 18 but in your picture you look 15.
  • bsracer
    bsracer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal does me no good because I have to load it with butter abd suger to eat it sooooooooooo, pass lol
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal on the daily, though not always as breakfast ;)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    You can do it... I have for the past 2 years. One serving of oatmeal, cinnamon, 3 tbsp. hemp hearts, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries - 450 calories...holds me from 7 a.m. to 12 noon. the only thing that changes - the fruit I add... on weekends when I am home - I will use fresh berries and rarely a banana. Berries because they are lower in sugar.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal for the past year and it gets old fast. Had to change peanut butters for flavoring. Today was the first day that I changed my breakfast, changed to ezekiel bread with 2% cheese. Good luck on your challenge
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I like oatmeal, and eat it for breakfast from time to time for variety's sake, but do much better with a vegetable omelet or even sometimes leftovers from dinner. This morning I wasn't in the mood for an omelet/eggs so had some veggies, some fruit, some smoked salmon, and some cottage cheese. Why these kinds of breakfasts tend to work better than oatmeal for me is more protein and fat. I'm also not sure why whole grains for breakfast are important or why you think a balanced breakfast must be something so specific. Are the other meals also required to meet so many requirements, or just breakfast?
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ive been on the porridge for above 7months now.every day except when on holiday .. all the new flavoured varieties make it less daunting than the normal every day stodge it used to be :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Count me out because I'm Salicylate Sensitive, (its a toxin) and the fruits you mention and spices mentioned by another in those quantities would have me curled up in pain or on crutches before one day was out.
    Good for those who can, may be.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :D now that is truly the ultimate challenge that i have seeing in a while in MFP LOllllll , eating the SAME for a year! bravo to you i guess if that's what you want i guess butttttt i will just say No, but thanks No.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, and I eat it regularly, but if I signed up for a 'challenge' to eat it for a year straight and got tired of it after 6 months and wanted to eat something else, well, I would feel like a failure, even though it's not really a failure.

Setting up a program where you 'must' eat x for xxx many days to me is a prescription for a wounded self esteem.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but this would get old, very fast. Especially in the summer.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no.