oatmeal challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I actually do eat oatmeal nearly everyday for breakfast and have been doing so for the past few months! I don't add any additional sugar or butter, but I do add cinnamon, bananas, or any other fruits so it doesn't get boring ever!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life, and all that. Also, I like eggs but two eggs a day would be overboard for me.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    graciiekim wrote: »
    I actually do eat oatmeal nearly everyday for breakfast and have been doing so for the past few months! I don't add any additional sugar or butter, but I do add cinnamon, bananas, or any other fruits so it doesn't get boring ever!

hey so do I, i loveeeee oatmeal, i eat it quite often, you eat it because you like it and have being doing it now for a while but i suppose when you start to do it , you didn't label as a challenge and said you know im gonna eat this for the next 365 days :s , if it happens great but that extra mental pressure from having to do it everyday believe me it's may get boring
  • missemmapeel
    missemmapeel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast. I add protein powder so it keeps me full until lunch, and I've started adding some Qia to make it more textureful and interesting. I vary the berries and sometimes add cinnamon to change it up a bit. I've also switched up for steel cut oats in the past to get over the gruel blahs. For a real treat I'll add raisins or dried apricots cut up.

I've never tried adding bacon, and the thought of bacon sprinkles is making my mouth water a little.

Happy New Years!
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Also OP, your profile says you're 18 but in your picture you look 15.

What does that have to do with her post?
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lol i have my own version of the oatmeal challenge where whenever i'm hungry not around meal-time, i have a bowl of oatmeal. mostly just to train myself to not mindlessly snack so much hahaha i don't like oatmeal enough to eat it regularly but when i need to stop over-eating this helps if i do it for a few days.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh God no... Everyday?! I love oatmeal and eggs, but everyday?! Oh God no!! I'd be so bored of the same thing every morning... besides, wouldn't having eggs everyday give me cholesterol or something like that? NO THANK YOU!! Having so many different kinds of food in the world, and you want to be stuck to just that? Ok, enjoy it. Ni modo, que se puede hacer? ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No eating eggs every day would not give you cholesterol.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I need diversity.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    No eating eggs every day would not give you cholesterol.

OMFG... out of the whole post that's what you focus on? Please... move on. If you wanna eat eggs everyday, be my guest. If you want to follow her challenge, be my guest. I don't know you, and I don't wanna know you. That post wasn't about you or for you. So scat. :noway:
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Oh God no... Everyday?! I love oatmeal and eggs, but everyday?! Oh God no!! I'd be so bored of the same thing every morning... besides, wouldn't having eggs everyday give me cholesterol or something like that? NO THANK YOU!! Having so many different kinds of food in the world, and you want to be stuck to just that? Ok, enjoy it. Ni modo, que se puede hacer? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Dietary cholesterol has minimal effects on blood cholesterol levels; reducing dietary cholesterol to less than 200mg/day only lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol by 3-5%. Decreasing saturated fat intake to less than 7% of total Calories for the day can reduce LDL cholesterol by 8-10%, followed by weight reduction (5-8%), and increasing soluble fiber (3-5%). (Now I'm really happy I saved my nutrition notes -I never knew I would be constantly referencing them.)

In regards to the OP's challenge, I'll happily decline. Though oatmeal is high in fiber and whole grains, it wrecks havoc on my blood sugars (surprisingly, I found a few other diabetics who have the same issues with oatmeal). The "balanced meal" also seems a bit unbalanced for my needs. I prefer having a high-protein, moderate-carb, moderate-fat breakfast (or even skipping breakfast and having an early lunch) instead of what looks like a high-fat, high-carb, low-protein breakfast.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    prestigio wrote: »
    I eat oatmeal on the daily, though not always as breakfast ;)

Oatmeal + 1 T. Trader Joe's Sunflower Nut Butter = my favorite meal (also doesn't matter what time of the day for me either) at the moment. <3

OP...I love your Oatmeal/fiber idea, Oatmeal is really a healthy food. <3
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Eating breakfast isn't a requirement to lose weight or be healthy. And the same goes for whole grains.

And your example of a balanced breakfast doesn't even include the oatmeal. Or whole grains.

Measuring nuts, or anything else really for that matter, in cups and tablespoons will lead to wildly inaccurate calorie counting. Liquids belong in cups and tablespoons, solids should be weighed with a food scale.

I don't eat breakfast at all (as in, I don't eat in the morning when I wake up, not until midday at least). I don't eat grains either generally speaking (I low carb, no I don't think sugar is the devil), and I've lost 115+ lbs and improved all applicable health markers.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but variety is the spice of life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always get so excited about the idea of oatmeal, then I make it and... nope. Still bland no matter what I put in it...
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Options
    Hey y'all. I am really good at making challenges that I cannot stick with. I am trying to start smaller like with drinking more water, and exercising three days a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    eat a serving of oats for breakfast every day for a year. whole grains are an important part of a balanced breakfast.
    A balanced breakfast has 1 tbs nuts or seeds, 1/2 cup fruit, and 2 whole eggs.
    Whole grains have a good source of fiber, and start your day with some good carbs, insoluble fiber that will keep you fuller longer. Anyone want to do this with me. I need some encouragement.

I ate oatmeal six days a week for a year and was so thoroughly sick of it by the end of that time that it took me a good 10 years before I could touch the stuff again.

I do much better on a higher protein breakfast.

I like oats, strawberries, and yogurt as a pre-bed snack.