Why do Brits still use stone as a measurement?

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Stuart107 wrote: »
    Not all "Brits" do... I use Kg :) (and grams for food weight) but my wife only ever thinks in stones.

Why? Tradition! We do have a rather mixed up weights and measurements system. On the roads distances are in miles/yards but bridge heights in metres. Petrol is sole in litres but consumption measured in miles-per-gallon. Temperatures are in Celsius - unless it gets really hot when people switch to Fahrenheit (98F sounds so much warmer). For (food) energy we use kCal rather than kJoules but at least we get the values per 100g rather than a nebulous serving size!

The metric system is becoming increasingly pervasive and, to me, is much easier to use. It's been taught exclusively in schools for 40+ years so maybe we'll see the demise of the stone as a unit of measurement.

Here in the States, you can go either/or.

One of my previous cars had a computerized dashboard, and it gave me the option of going conventional or metric. I went metric for a bit--till I started going on a freeway and noticed my speed heading north of three digits. Seems I had suddenly forgotten I was in metric and thought I was speeding! :# Quickly switched back to conventional.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Why do Brits say "ello Guv'nah" all the time?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member

Why would you ask a butcher for only 100g of meat?
    That's less than 4ounces, tinsy amount![/quote]

100g IS 4oz and its a reasonable amount for 1 person.[/quote]

4oz = 113.4grams
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    My 14 times table is getting much better since I started using MFP ...I weigh myself in stones and pounds and convert to pounds to log on here. I wouldn't mind but I own a digital scale which actually gives me the option to weigh in either kg or pounds only

I have no reason...I'm British ...we like to be eccentric
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    However, to clarify:
    "America" is not a continent.
    South America is not the same continent as North America. They're two separate continents. It is not one big continent with many many countries. It's two big continents with many many countries.

Just sayin'.
    [/quote]

Lol i knew it had to do with how they teach you things in school, you see on other parts of the world where i grew up they teach they are 6 continents; Asia, Europe, Antartica , Australia, Africa, America , in english speaking countries im seeing in google they teach the 7 continents form dividing America in North America and South America. so we're both right i suppose in our ideas , but by definition north america and south america are not 2 different continents.. umm No.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member

Why would you ask a butcher for only 100g of meat?
    That's less than 4ounces, tinsy amount!

100g IS 4oz and its a reasonable amount for 1 person.[/quote]

4oz = 113.4grams
    [/quote]

thanks for clearing that up for me, I wasn't that far out though and my cakes have been turning out great based on my calculations anyway ...which is really all that matters LOL
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    What about you yanks and your bloody cups, that change according to the substance you are measuring!?!

I don't know why I'm being defensive, I'm of the age that I was only taught metric weights at school. I use kilos and grammes and had a rather embarrassing conversation with a butcher some years ago when I asked for 100 gm of mince.

We only decimalised our currency in 1971. You can't expect people to change so quickly - Google the 'metric martyrs' if you don't believe me.

'My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it'

Don't get me started on cups!!!! Its so inaccurate!! I look at a recipe, seems nice, see its in cups, move on!!

I work in Lbs mostly as Im used to it (and I watch Biggest Loser!). But its no differnent that using any other form of measurement. Why do you drive on the right?? We're just all different!!

And weight in Lbs can mean different clothing sizes too, depending on who is wearing it!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    karyabc wrote: »
    However, to clarify:
    South America is not the same continent as North America. They're two separate continents. It is not one big continent with many many countries. It's two big continents with many many countries.

Just sayin'.

Lol i knew it had to do with how they teach you things in school, you see on other parts of the world where i grew up they teach they are 6 continents; Asia, Europe, Antartica , Australia, Africa, America , in english speaking countries im seeing in google they teach the 7 continents form dividing America in North America and South America. so we're both right i suppose in our ideas , but by definition north america and south america are not 2 different continents.. umm No.

[/quote]

By what definition? How are they not two continents? Do you say that because they're connected by a tiny strip of land? If so, then Europe, Asia and Africa are all one big continent as well. Just sayin'.

And as for us calling ourselves American, what else would we call ourselves? United States of Americans? Because that doesn't sound ridiculous at all.
    How about United Statesians? But no, that not only sounds dumb, it's nondescript as there are several nations called "United States of ____." Maybe Citizens of the United States of America? No, way too much to say. Plus, it wouldn't be fair for us to have to identify ourselves that way unless everyone started calling themselves "Citizens of Canada" instead of Canadians or "Citizens of Germany" instead of German.

But is there another country that incorporates America into their name? Nope (American Samoa comes the closest). For that matter, it's worth noting that our country's name, The United States of America, is not focused on "The United States." That part is descriptive. When we founded this nation we called it America and gave it the name "The United States of America" to show that this new nation, America, was comprised of several states united together. It was not to say "We are the United States. And for clarification, we are the United States which are geographically located in the North American continent."

So maybe (depending on where you're from) you might not realize at first whether I mean a country or a continent when I say 'America." However, if I say America in reference to a specific country or American in reference to my nationality, there is no question that I am speaking about The United States of America.

And who identifies primarily with their continent anyway? If you ask a man from China where he's from do you expect him to say "Asia?" No, you would expect him to identify as Chinese. So why does the rest of the world (looking at you, Europe) act like the Brazilians, Mexicans, Hondurans and Venezuelans want to call themselves Americans? Do they think the American continents are so special that everyone in the western hemisphere primarily identifies with the greater land mass than they do their own country?
    Go to Chile. Ask someone where you are. They will not say "America." They will not say "South America." They will not say "The Americas." They will say "Chile."
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Funny story. When we moved here from the UK we brought most of our household belongings, including a bathroom scale that measured in stones. It's probably still there in my dad's house.

When my parents had guests, invariably some woman would hop on the scale when using the loo and would ask how many lbs were in a stone.

My father, with a perfectly straight face, would answer "15". And watch them do the math.
  • Sued0nim
    MrM27 wrote: »
    However, to clarify:

Just sayin'.

So if here they taught us there are 7 continents and over there they taught you there are 6 continents, how can you say that by definition they are not separate continents? Makes no sense [/quote]

That's because a continent is a connected land mass...

Eg google definition

any of the world's main continuous expanses of land (Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America, Australia, Antarctica).
    synonyms: mainland
    "the continent of Europe"
    antonyms: island

See how it's North and South America? That's how we are taught.
  • Sued0nim
    ythannah wrote: »
    Funny story. When we moved here from the UK we brought most of our household belongings, including a bathroom scale that measured in stones. It's probably still there in my dad's house.

When my parents had guests, invariably some woman would hop on the scale when using the loo and would ask how many lbs were in a stone.

My father, with a perfectly straight face, would answer "15". And watch them do the math.

Lol

Mean

And rather British :grinning:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2014
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So if I go to the UK and step on a scale will it read 11 stone or will it show 154 lbs?

I have a digital that reads in, stones and lbs, KGs and lbs. I have an old one downstairs that's in stones and lbs - so yes, a lot of our scales are still in stones and lbs.

c4lrgswoxzjd.jpg

• 3laine75
    edited December 2014
    I was a bit p'd off there as I weighed in at 145 this morning but it came up at 10 stone 9 when I changed it over but I just realised I had my porridge :/

Edit: also, I need a pedicure - don't judge me!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    By what definition? How are they not two continents? Do you say that because they're connected by a tiny strip of land? If so, then Europe, Asia and Africa are all one big continent as well. Just sayin'.

And as for us calling ourselves American, what else would we call ourselves? United States of Americans? Because that doesn't sound ridiculous at all.
    How about United Statesians? But no, that not only sounds dumb, it's nondescript as there are several nations called "United States of ____." Maybe Citizens of the United States of America? No, way too much to say. Plus, it wouldn't be fair for us to have to identify ourselves that way unless everyone started calling themselves "Citizens of Canada" instead of Canadians or "Citizens of Germany" instead of German.

But is there another country that incorporates America into their name? Nope (American Samoa comes the closest). For that matter, it's worth noting that our country's name, The United States of America, is not focused on "The United States." That part is descriptive. When we founded this nation we called it America and gave it the name "The United States of America" to show that this new nation, America, was comprised of several states united together. It was not to say "We are the United States. And for clarification, we are the United States which are geographically located in the North American continent."

So maybe (depending on where you're from) you might not realize at first whether I mean a country or a continent when I say 'America." However, if I say America in reference to a specific country or American in reference to my nationality, there is no question that I am speaking about The United States of America.

And who identifies primarily with their continent anyway? If you ask a man from China where he's from do you expect him to say "Asia?" No, you would expect him to identify as Chinese. So why does the rest of the world (looking at you, Europe) act like the Brazilians, Mexicans, Hondurans and Venezuelans want to call themselves Americans? Do they think the American continents are so special that everyone in the western hemisphere primarily identifies with the greater land mass than they do their own country?
    Go to Chile. Ask someone where you are. They will not say "America." They will not say "South America." They will not say "The Americas." They will say "Chile."[/quote]

relax honey, you can keep calling yourself whatever you feel like, you see i though that in the whole United States of America the country name is United States and the part of America was referring to the fact that it is located in the Continent America, now you're telling me that America it's actually the name of your land, and therefore that's why the nationality is American, cool i got that one, but again if it is that way many spanish books have a lot of errors in it.

now let me clarify something, in every spanish speaking country, they call you *Estadounidense* as your nationality not American/Americano, meaning that you're from the United States, umm does that could lead to confusion because other countries have the whole United States in their title, yes, but not more confusion that cause the America the country/nationality continent thing.

you could possibly not understand how awkward it becomes when for example you're in a foreign country and people ask you where are you from or where you live and you say America and then the next question it's what state and you say something like Buenos Aires or Caracas or whatever and they're faces is like *kitten* Please -__- ! and then you go clarify that is a whole continent and they're like; ohhhh (and yes it happens a lot to me and many people) so that's why all the city that you've mention don't call them self Americans even when they could

i've met a lot arrogant 'Americans' ; i'm not gonna judge a whole country on a couple of people, in my original post could may be look as a rant but actually it came from a sincere place, just trying to get opinions from your point of view.

i suppose in the end it's all about semantic :)
  • 3laine75
    ^^ coffee needed :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    I like what this has spiralled into.

But Brits really, really shouldn't call anyone out for enforcing cultural hegemony and being b*stards on a global scale and feel smug about it.

Stones, glass houses and all that.

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited December 2014
    relax honey, you can keep calling yourself whatever you feel like, you see i though that in the whole United States of America the country name is United States and the part of America was referring to the fact that it is located in the Continent America, now you're telling me that America it's actually the name of your land, and therefore that's why the nationality is American, cool i got that one, but again if it is that way many spanish books have a lot of errors in it.

now let me clarify something, in every spanish speaking country, they call you *Estadounidense* as your nationality not American/Americano, meaning that you're from the United States, umm does that could lead to confusion because other countries have the whole United States in their title, yes, but not more confusion that cause the America the country/nationality continent thing.

you could possibly not understand how awkward it becomes when for example you're in a foreign country and people ask you where are you from or where you live and you say America and then the next question it's what state and you say something like Buenos Aires or Caracas or whatever and they're faces is like *kitten* Please -__- ! and then you go clarify that is a whole continent and they're like; ohhhh (and yes it happens a lot to me and many people) so that's why all the city that you've mention don't call them self Americans even when they could

i've met a lot arrogant 'Americans' ; i'm not gonna judge a whole country on a couple of people, in my original post could may be look as a rant but actually it came from a sincere place, just trying to get opinions from your point of view.

i suppose in the end it's all about semantic :)
    From Wikipedia:

There are numerous ways of distinguishing the continents:
    4 continents
    Afro-Eurasia

America

Antarctica

Australia

5 continents
    Africa

Eurasia

America

Antarctica

Australia

6 continents
    Africa

Europe

Asia

America

Antarctica

Australia

6 continents
    Africa

Eurasia

North America

South America

Antarctica

Australia

7 continents
    Africa

Europe

Asia

North America

South America

Antarctica

Australia

The seven-continent model is usually taught in China, India, the Philippines, parts of Western Europe and most English-speaking countries[citation needed], including Australia and England
    The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is mostly used in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan.
    The six-continent combined-America model is used in Spanish-speaking countries[26] and in some parts of Europe, including Greece (equivalent 5 inhabited continents model – i.e. excluding Antarctica – still also found in texts).[18]

There you go. The end.

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited December 2014
    As an American living in Canada on the US/Canada border with a Canadian man with an American parent and a British/Canadian parent this thread really hits home for me. LOL

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    your gun laws are the exact opposite to here. They're pretty much banned in Aus. But alas the bad guys still get hold of them. But they're not as easy to get as in the US. I've never seen a gun store in my life or a real life gun!

In WA we carry them.

In our pockets even.

Not nature's pocket though.