Straight Caffeine Pills - Experience or opinions on them?

Replies

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    edited December 2014
    I had Prolab caffeine pills and they didn't do much for me. No jitters but no real change in energy or alertness, either. I ended up throwing them away. I should mention I have a high tolerance to stimulants so that probably factors in since I took the recommended dose every time. Someone else may bounce off the walls using it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I use the prolab I think, rec dose does nothing.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I don't drink coffee, rarely drink soda, and decided to try some caffine powder for those droopy draggy mornings. I didn't feel energized until I hit what their website said was a pretty high dose, and then I had an upset stomach & so forth from it. So while I might try it once in a while, it won't be a regular thing.

51637601.png
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    As with most caffeine products I see people intake: coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc. People become fairly addicted and have withdraw symptoms when cutting back. Why would you put that into your body? It's just a band-aid for an unhealthy habit.

Possible healthy solutions: reduce stress, don't over commit your time/energy, increase exercise, increase sleep, eat healthier, drink more water, etc.
  • dbmata
    edited January 2015
    Caffeine is a useful training tool, used appropriately.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    I have pure caffeine powder that I weigh out (you need a scale that does MG) and slip into my water or my food. One bottle has 100g and costs about $10. Even after buying the scale ($15 on amazon) it's way cheaper than pills. I also like that I can better control how much caffeine I'm getting.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    I get the $5.00 bottle at Walmart. I don't drink soda and only like coffee when I'm cold. They work great! I get pretty much the same effect as a couple of cups of coffee. No side effects.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Your experience with caffeine pills has no reason to be different from your experience with coffee, amount of caffeine and fluids involved kept the same. If you get jitters etc with lots of coffee, expect more of the same.

Always read the dose per pill before taking.
  • esjones12
    edited January 2015
    dbmata wrote: »

The OP specifically said she was using it as an extra "pick me up", not a training tool. Something (stress, lack of sleep, etc) is causing her to need that pick me up. Caffeine pills will not fix the problem, only mask it. Smh.
  • dbmata
    edited January 2015
    esjones12 wrote: »

The OP specifically said she was using it as an extra "pick me up", not a training tool. Something (stress, lack of sleep, etc) is causing her to need that pick me up. Caffeine pills will not fix the problem, only mask it. Smh.

Yeah, you need to read a little closer. You'll see that this person is not some soccer mom looking for a little something to get her from the office to picking up the kids without having to stop at starbucks.

This is a trained individual. Caffeine works well for those types in proper dosing, and used intelligently. She also stated her level of sleep, but you didn't read it. Because it didn't fit your narrative.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Caffeine pills are too much for my heart rate. I'd stick with coffee, but that's just my personal opinion.
  • esjones12
    unhealthy habit? lulz.

Yeah, you need to read a little closer. You'll see that this person is not some soccer mom looking for a little something to get her from the office to picking up the kids without having to stop at starbucks.

This is a trained individual. Caffeine works well for those types in proper dosing, and used intelligently. She also stated her level of sleep, but you didn't read it. Because it didn't fit your narrative.

I did read her information. She is clearly overdoing it to the point her body needs a boost to get through her normal day. So instead of re-evaluating her lifestyle she is reaching for a crutch to keep pushing forward. Sorry, but not everyone agrees with that type of response. I was merely stating that there are other avenues she can look at besides taking caffeine pills. We are all entitled to our own opinions.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    SPNLuver83 wrote: »
    Also I have cut back on coffee, 3 cups in morning to just one... Making my stomach too irritable with the 3 but I'm feeling the reduction too!

If you've had to cut back on coffee for those reasons, I would not at all recommend caffeine pills. I am addicted to caffeine - I get a headache if I don't have some caffeine within an hour of waking up. I do take 1 caffeine pill for my early morning workouts, otherwise I'd end up groggy and headachy, since it's too early to ingest a hot beverage. The pills are just easier. And cheaper. That being said, I don't necessarily recommend them, especially if caffeine already bothers your stomach. The pills will do the same thing (in my experience). I'm a fan of good poops and too much caffeine can be detrimental to that too.
  • dbmata
    unhealthy habit? lulz.

I did read her information. She is clearly overdoing it to the point her body needs a boost to get through her normal day. So instead of re-evaluating her lifestyle she is reaching for a crutch to keep pushing forward. Sorry, but not everyone agrees with that type of response. I was merely stating that there are other avenues she can look at besides taking caffeine pills. We are all entitled to our own opinions.
    Maybe overdoing it for you. Yes.

For her, no. Again, as mention and you're willfully ignoring, caffeine is a quality supplement for those who are in a training situation. She's a trainer, so she's always in a training situation.
  • esjones12

For her, no. Again, as mention and you're willfully ignoring, caffeine is a quality supplement for those who are in a training situation. She's a trainer, so she's always in a training situation.

What does overdoing it for me have to do with anything?

You honestly think because she is a trainer and a trained professional that her body doesn't have a breaking point? Trainers can over-commit to classes and clients and end up burning their bodies out. I know trainers who have done that. She did not provide her exact details on everything she does. I was simply suggesting their are other alternatives to grabbing a bottle of pills that can be considered.

But you are willfully ignoring the fact that there are other options that exist outside of your narrative.
  • dbmata

What does overdoing it for me have to do with anything?

You honestly think because she is a trainer and a trained professional that her body doesn't have a breaking point? Trainers can over-commit to classes and clients and end up burning their bodies out. I know trainers who have done that. She did not provide her exact details on everything she does. I was simply suggesting their are other alternatives to grabbing a bottle of pills that can be considered.

But you are willfully ignoring the fact that there are other options that exist outside of your narrative.
    Awesome! Glad I could provide a reference model for you to adjust your diction upwards.

Again, you don't get what the OP needs. Your contribution is great, for a someone who isn't a trained pro. GG GJ.
  • esjones12
    Again, you don't get what the OP needs. Your contribution is great, for a someone who isn't a trained pro. GG GJ.

My bad. You clearly know the OP personally and know exactly what she needs. You too must be a trained professional who can provide credentials and certifications upon request. They should actually make a part of the forum just for you professionals so us non-trained pros don't mess up your chit-chat and recommendations.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Ok so I went ahead and bought "sundown naturals' pure caffeine 200mg 8 hour sustained release. I wasn't talking about those crack energy pills. I know about the benefits of caffeine for training and all that good stuff. I like my coffee with cream so I'd rather not just drink more coffee. By stomach irritation I meant just having to use the bathroom more often that usual cuz I'm regular as is. I get avg 8 hours of sleep, usually over on fiber goals, I exercise plenty and I always eat breakfast. I am under a lot of stress with rehabbing a home and having to relocate but that's not something I can change until it's done. So I was just looking for something to help the work flow going while that's being done. I tried one pill, as directed, this morning and I did feel more alert and awake but no jitters or crash. I don't plan on using these long term (I've found throughout the years it's very hard for me to actually become addicted to things, quit smoking cold turkey no problem, amongst other things) so I'm not really worried about that aspect. Sometimes ppl just need a lil boost even when doing everything else right! I appreciate all the advice!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If you take them to stay awake, it's a bad habit. You'll end up needing more and more and then you'll need Benadryl to sleep. This is the poor man's drug addiction, lol.

If you find yourself in the habit of taking pills to stay awake and other pills to fall asleep, break that habit.

Personally, I'd advise against the pills. Whatever it is you need the pills to do can be done without them. Pills you don't need...I always vote No.

But ask your doctor. He may give you the thumbs up.