Do you count tea and coffee as part of your water intake?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I count it because it's mostly water with a little stuff dissolved in it.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    thingal12 wrote: »
    The only reason you should be too focused on exactly how much water you're consuming is if you think you're retaining water (water weight). Is this an issue with you?

No, this is not an issue for me.
  • cocates
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Yes... I do count tea and coffee. The dehydrating effect of caffeine is negligible (according to multiple peer-reviewed scientific studies) . I see no reason to force myself to drink extra water just so I can formally tally 64 ounces of plain water in my daily food diary. I like to be properly hydrated, but I'm not going to drink so much water that I have to pee every 90 minutes. That's just silly and doesn't provide any health benefits. In fact, when I used to force myself to drink 8-10 cups of water on top my other beverages, it gave me heartburn. The gastroenterologist told me to lay off the extra water and just drink when I was thirsty. Turned out, all the extra liquid was making my stomach contents too voluminous.

Some folks feel differently - I suppose it just boils down to a personal preference. :-)

Thank you! This helps a lot!
  • cocates
    Options
    People are too obsessed with this water thing.

If it's blue or purple, you may be an alien.] LoL :smiley: Point well-taken! Ha!
  • cocates
    Options
    I log water only. Water (approx. 72 oz./day) makes me feel so much better that when I'm only drinking coffee coffee, tea (decaf or otherwise), etc. Logging simply motivates me to drink more water. There's something about clicking that water glass icon.

^^ This... yes, I agree!

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't ever count coffee towards water intake. Whether you're drinking coffee/tea or not doesn't change the fact that you need to be drinking enough straight-up water. However, make sure to log any milk you're adding; it's so many carbs!

You do not need to drink any straight up water. Fluids are fluids (other than 'hard' alcohol which does dehydrate more than it hydrates).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to track my water intake again, as I've been very bad at it lately as my urine has been darker than normal. I don't count regular coffee (I suppose I could, but whatever), but count all my milk and any non-caffeinated beverages (herbal teas, no cal drink mix, the pint of water in my protein shake, etc.).

It's made a difference--urine is light again. I'm just one that needs to track it to stay on top of hydrating my body properly. Tracking makes me drink enough, I guess.
  • cocates
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for your feedback! :smile:

• Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I add coffee and tea as part of the meal I am drinking it with, or if it's in between meals, as a snack. Especially if I add creamer or honey or something to it. I do not count it as water. I log only water as water.
  • motherwesser
    motherwesser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No. I just want to ensure I get ample water. Water is in nearly everything anyway.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I log my daily tea as water intake - I only put a little stevia in it (half a packet for a big mug), so that's all it is, really.
  • HP921
    HP921 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea can be dehydrating so I don't count them unless its green tea with no additives. I am trying to quit coffee and am in the process of switching to an antioxidant green tea which I will count it in my water intake. Regardless of that I get 64 oz of water in daily.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    As someone noted – Water is water and coffee dehydrates. I know my cardiologist has told me to drink lots of water for my heart (& to limit coffee) and I know water helps balance body fluids.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as water but instead log it but that's just personal preference.

In regards to what some have I wanted to point out two things. Tea/caffeine can dehydrate but in large quantities. A glass or two will not have a large effect on hydration. Second the 8 glasses of water "rule" is not always necessary. Urine color is a good indicator of hydration. The lighter the better. Foods and other beverages such as teas and soups can contribute to hydration lessening the need for lots of water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    As someone noted – Water is water and coffee dehydrates. I know my cardiologist has told me to drink lots of water for my heart (& to limit coffee) and I know water helps balance body fluids.

No it does not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    HP921 wrote: »
    Coffee and tea can be dehydrating so I don't count them unless its green tea with no additives. I am trying to quit coffee and am in the process of switching to an antioxidant green tea which I will count it in my water intake. Regardless of that I get 64 oz of water in daily.

They are not dehydrating.
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just watch the color of my urine. Totally helps you determine if you need more water or not :)
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    sphft2o1llrm.jpg
    pee.jpg 61.3K
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just to keep my log accurate I put coffee and tea as part of my meal or snack and keep my water as a separate category.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nope- 1.) I don't track water as it is.
    - 2.) I drink way to much tea and coffee to log- it's just obscene- waste of time to me- it doesn't count calorically - so therefore I do not log.