Do you use a fitness tracker?

Options

Replies

• melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    @missADS1981 I weight train only two days a week with a trainer. When I work out at home it's beachbody videos that I'd say are primarily cardio. Insanity, T25, PiYo, and I'm currently doing Insanity MAX:30. I have a heart rate app on my phone which I just put my finger on the camera and it measures it (I'm sure it's not 100% accurate). It measured my heart rate to be in the 170's each time (day 1 of MAX:30 was called Cardio Challenge so I expected it to be high). Would you still recommend the Polar FT7 watch if I do more cardio? I guess it's considered cross training because it's cardio and strength? Push ups, squats, burpees, etc.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I was using the Fitbit Charge for a week or so but stopped as it wasn't that accurate from what I found in my testing of it. Since I don't need to track all day, I find that my Polar FT 4 is better for my needs since I mostly do HIIT style workouts and weightlifting anyway.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I mostly do at home workouts (Insanity, etc.) and/or circuit training at the gym so my main focus is to track heart rate and a better estimate of calories burned.

You're not going to get a meaningful estimate of calories expended using an HRM for the kind of training that you describe.

I have found that using my HRM during my Insanity workouts is meaningful in terms of estimating the amount of calories that I burn doing them, ymmv.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @melissaka7‌ even when i do cardio i wear it. it will keep track of your HR the entire work out, not just when you want to check it. i wear it during lifting and even warm up. i like to look down at the end and see what i burned. for me its the best and i've tried a ton from the mio to the garmin to the fit bit i've tested quite a few. always go back to the ft7
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I mostly do at home workouts (Insanity, etc.) and/or circuit training at the gym so my main focus is to track heart rate and a better estimate of calories burned.

You're not going to get a meaningful estimate of calories expended using an HRM for the kind of training that you describe.

I have found that using my HRM during my Insanity workouts is meaningful in terms of estimating the amount of calories that I burn doing them, ymmv.

I happen to have a degree in control engineering and 25 years of experience, so I understand how to use instrumentation in the way it's designed. You'll be getting a level of overestimation, but you can't even put a figure on what that overestimation would be.

fwiw I've just done an hour of sprint training on my turbo, and running the heart rate trace through different calculators gives me a range of somewhere between 600 and 900 calories, for the same input data. It's more likely to be towards the bottom end, as towards the end of the session I was seeing heart rate drift, which is a function of hydration reducing during the session, It's very clear in comparing the heart rate trace to my cadence and estimated power output that there is no way I was generating the same power in the final interval. Taking the simple heart rate trace something like an FT4 would just assume an increased calorie consumption, but in practive it probably reduced slightly as I was slowing down.

If I'd done the same distance but at a steady pace, rather than as intervals, then the range of possible calorie expenditures would have been much narrower, because my heart rate would have been generally smoother, although would still have drifted upwards over time.

Just because you've got a gadget giving you a number, doesn't mean that it's an accurate number in comparison to anything else.

Don't believe the marketing hype. They're designed around steady state work in the aerobic range.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You don't need extreme accuracy to lose weight and monitor your progress. You need a general idea and the motivation to keep going.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Which you'd get from an online database.

I've just described a 30% range of potential error, and that was only a lactate threshold session, not even HIIT.

I get that people want something to motivate them, and if it's HR rather than anything else then that's fine. But it's the pretence that the calorie estimation is remotely useful that I'm confused by.

The calorie estimation aspect was invented by marketeers (third up against the wall come the time of the glorious revolution) to improve sales of the devices. They fail to mention that the calorie estimation is only valid for a very small subset of the activities that it could be used for.

• FitPhillygirl
    edited December 2014
    Options

I happen to have a degree in control engineering and 25 years of experience, so I understand how to use instrumentation in the way it's designed. You'll be getting a level of overestimation, but you can't even put a figure on what that overestimation would be.

fwiw I've just done an hour of sprint training on my turbo, and running the heart rate trace through different calculators gives me a range of somewhere between 600 and 900 calories, for the same input data. It's more likely to be towards the bottom end, as towards the end of the session I was seeing heart rate drift, which is a function of hydration reducing during the session, It's very clear in comparing the heart rate trace to my cadence and estimated power output that there is no way I was generating the same power in the final interval. Taking the simple heart rate trace something like an FT4 would just assume an increased calorie consumption, but in practive it probably reduced slightly as I was slowing down.

If I'd done the same distance but at a steady pace, rather than as intervals, then the range of possible calorie expenditures would have been much narrower, because my heart rate would have been generally smoother, although would still have drifted upwards over time.

Just because you've got a gadget giving you a number, doesn't mean that it's an accurate number in comparison to anything else.

Don't believe the marketing hype. They're designed around steady state work in the aerobic range.

I don't recall my post above sating that it was 100% accurate. What I said is that I use it to "estimate" the amount of calories burned during my cardio workouts. To be honest, I really use it to as a guide to make sure my HR is where I want it when I exercise. Some people use it to see how many calories to eat back, but I don't as it isn't necessary for me to keep track of how many calories I have coming in or out. Hey, I get from reading your posts on here that you don't care for HR monitors and that is fine. But I like them and will continue to use them as long as they work for me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Duplicate post.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree with your points that its valid for a small subset of activities. But it doesn't mean that it is not useful. I lost a lot of weight using an HR monitor. Here's how

I used the elliptical machines mostly with the heart rate training setting. I started zone 1 and as it got easier, I continued to increase the programmed HR level. What that did was make the resistance a little tougher and allowed me to burn more calories. When I entered the calories into MFP, and measured my weight loss versus the standard 3500 calorie a week to burn fat, it was fairly close. Was it extremely accurate? I don't know. However, I got the results I needed. I tested it with rowing, kickboxing, and biking. Was it accurate? I don't know, but I got the results I expected based on the numbers.

Does it work for weightlifting? Don't know, I never used it for that. However, you can't just deny that it is useful for something other than motivation. Instrument reliability also comes in to play. Yes it may not be accurate 100%, but this is not mission critical. Failure isn't going to cause death. If it gives reliable data every time, then I can adjust to that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey, I get from reading your posts on here that you don't care for HR monitors and that is fine.

It's a useful training tool for performance improvement, used in conjunction with GPS tracking, speed and cadence sensors, power meter if available.

It's not the magic bullet so many are looking for here, as in the original question; calorie count for training that's neither steady state nor consistently aerobic.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    melissaka7 wrote: »
    Like fitbit, jawbone, polar hrm, garmin, etc? What do you like about it? What all does it do?

I've researched these damn things to death and cannot decide if I need one. I work a sedentary job, but I do fitness vidoes like Insanity, T25, PiYo, and Insanity Max:30. I also weight train 2 days a week. My wants are something that tells me how many calories I've burned either through the whole day or just during my work outs. I'd also like to know how many steps I've taken. I just don't know if I really need something or not.

I've used Polar. It worked great. The only thing I did not like was that the model I had did not have GPS...which wasn't too big of a deal because I would track that with Map My Run.

I've since started using a Garmin product with GPS and I love it. The only problem so far is that I'm having problems syncing MFP with the Garmin software (Garmin Connect). It worked in the beginning but then stopped.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I started zone 1 and as it got easier, I continued to increase the programmed HR level. What that did was make the resistance a little tougher and allowed me to burn more calories.

Notwithstanding that zone training is pretty discredited nowadays that's a reasonable way to use the tool. It's comparable to Rate of Perceived Exertion, but can be slightly less subjective to filter other factors.

That wasn't the question though.
    I tested it with rowing, kickboxing, and biking.

Well the algorithms are based on research done on ergos and cycle ergos as well as treadmills.
    If it gives reliable data every time, then I can adjust to that.

Indeed, at least consistent inconsistency for the training you're talking about can be compensated for. Inconsistent inconsistency on the other hand...
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i think it all boils down to what helps motivate you, some need a tool for motivation for those hard times and others are self motivators.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    @deup I think I've found that with what everyone has posted and some private messages I've gotten.

I really need to stop doing threads because they always seem to get out of hand! But it's to be expected with a public forum. :smile:
  • SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use the Gear Fit. I've had it for about a week now and I love it. It has a HRM, Pedometer, Sleep monitor, exercise tracker( you can set it to running, cycling or walking) and I can see any texts I received and send a quick response from it. I can also control my music on my phone from it.

I love it and it has given me a huge motivational boost by allowing me to track my BPM after moving around heavy boxes at work or taking the stairs. It sends all the information to my phone, directly on the app and it has charts galore on comparing my heart rate through out times of the day. I'm still playing with it and learning how to use it to its full potential though. :smiley:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia FIT... they don't make them anymore as Jawbone bought the company out and took the technology to make another fitness tracker (UP3). My BMF has been extremely accurate for the couple of years I owned it. It also accurately tracked my burns from lifting and HIIT.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Even if the calorie burn is off, just be smart about it. Just cause I ran 4 miles and it says I burned 500 calories doenst mean I am going to eat another 500 calories. I just use it for motivation and numbers. I usually dont eat back any calories. I stay within my range no matter my exericse for the day. Its purely motivational for me. Plus I like gadgets not spreadsheets online. Hahaha
  • beatrizrivera520
    Options
    @melissaka7‌ even when i do cardio i wear it. it will keep track of your HR the entire work out, not just when you want to check it. i wear it during lifting and even warm up. i like to look down at the end and see what i burned. for me its the best and i've tried a ton from the mio to the garmin to the fit bit i've tested quite a few. always go back to the ft7

So the Polar Ft7 can be worn all day long and it tracks calories burned for cardio, weight lifting, warm ups, everything?
  • cjgsmg
    cjgsmg Posts: 131 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I am actually on my second Fitbit. I got my first one 2 1/2-3 years ago and had it until the case broke. I love that they updated the case and it isn't connected now. I also work in a professional environment and it I didn't want something on my wrist. I want my tracker to be hidden but I wear my Fitbit everyday.

Trackers are as useful as you want them to be. I thought it would be the THING, the KEY, the END ALL for weight loss and it isn't. It is a simple tool that helps me know how active I've been. It isn't accurate enough for me to track distance because sometimes my steps are little and sometimes they aren't. I also don't feel like is accurate at tracking calories burned.

Comparing to friends, it seems like the Fitbit One is more accurate with steps. I have tried to see if other movement adds steps and it doesn't for the most part. For me, only very strange movements will add unwanted steps. That was a fun experiment ...

I wore it at night to track sleep until I decided that it really just told me that I feel better when I get 7+ hours of sleep. I still wear it when I want a vibrating alarm in the morning so I don't wake the hubby.

It has been incredibly eye opening to see how little I walk with a desk job sometimes, but sometimes I'm just tired at the end of the day and I have 4 kids to catch up with and chase to soccer, cheer leading, and cross country that sometimes my steps are what they are. Sometimes it motivates me to move more, but mostly it helps me know how my day was. If I am going to run I do it because I want to regardless of numbers.

A tracker is simply a tool that helps awareness. I do feel like it is a fancy pedometer but I like that it is very accurate. I also have a Garmin running watch for outside and a chest heart rate monitor that works with my treadmill. Tools are simply tools.