Zero motivation

Options
Hi,

So, I'll spare you most of my sob story. Basically, I've been up and down weight-wise and emotionally over most of the last 20 yrs. They seem to go together for me. Depression = monster weight gain...seems like I get back in shape, get myself into another dysfunctional relationship, end up alone and put it all back on. Now, I'm 43, just devastated by what I thought was the 'one', for real this time...and I am disgusted with the pounds I put on. I am an athletic person, I've always been able to keep up even when I haven't been working out. But, I guess, as you get older it gets harder. I know what I need to do. My eating habits aren't bad, though I do indulge in wine more than is helpful. I plan on avoiding booze in the New Year for awhile and I'm hoping that will give me the energy to work out again. I'm just so apathetic to it all right now...probably depressed, but I don't really want to go back on antidepressants, I'm hoping to work it out naturally, just have to get there. Any words of wisdom or silliness are much appreciated. I moved back to my old hometown a couple of years ago and don't have any consistent friends I can talk to, hoping to move back West within the year.

Replies

• lola656
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom, I wish I did. I yoo , have my issues, which seem to go hand in hand with my weight. I lost 25 pounds earlier this year and gained it all back plus 7. So.....now I sit here in bed hoping for some miracle motivation to get me back to where I was. I'm trying isagenix but I just don't like the shake thing every day. I just lack that spark to kick my butt into gear. I think what you are doing here will help. Document it-it holds you accountable.
  • gr8mother00
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. I'm 35 single mom of 2. Past 6 months I've been without insurance so that,means without meds. I'm telling you now its the disease that's the worst. I don't want to be on antianxiety/depressiants for the rest of my life either but I don't get better without it. Maybe you can find a doc that recommends natural supplements. Not sure what words of wisdom or silliness I can give but I know the longer I work through this without meds...the longer I will have the same problems.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Some times you just have to fake it 'till you make it. Regular vigorous exercise has really helped with my mood. Something that takes my mind off of everything that is bothering me. It also seems to help with energy, sleep, hunger, and motivation. Getting over that intial hump to get started is the hardest part. Tackling just one small thing at a time may help. Good luck everyone :smile:
  • jeannine71
    jeannine71 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Helps to know I'm not alone! I guess I just have to get over that giant hump I've been looking at for months and get my butt back in gear. I know I'll feel better once I get back to working out. I wish you all good things in the New Year!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start small. Even taking a short brisk walk can do wonders for you physically and mentally.

As for weight, start logging your food intake and keeping a deficit and you will lose it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It sounds so cliche but there is at least some truth to the fact that exercising and eating better will help you feel better both physically and emotionally. I know from recent/current personal experience that this is MUCH easier said than done...especially when sitting on the couch binge watching (whatever) is so appealling. But you've already made the first step in realizing it's what needs to be done to help change your current situation. The next step is to put some time and energy into coming up with a plan to put your intentions into motion.

For instance, I've got all the ingredients ready to cook up meals this weekend so I can have better food choices handy. And I plan to start back at the gym tomorrow.
  • aprilhaselhuhn
    Options
    I feel like I have no motivation at all anymore . I'm about to start paying people to follow ,e around and slap me when I make a lazy choice . I want to eat healthy and clean, along with working out four to five times a week but don't know where to start, I'd love for people to add me .
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    People need to stop making excuses for not eating healthier and working out. Its up to ourselves to get motivated. We lie to ourselves, oh I dont have time, im so tired after working all day etc etc....its all *kitten*!! if you have time to watch tv you have time to workout, if you can sit eating a bag of chips you have time to work out. Its mind games Jeannine that we play with ourselves, were all grown ups and need to quit making excuses and we need to kick our own butts and yell shut up! im doing this.

Sorry to be the bad cop here but Im 42 years old, I weigh 269lbs and I have pins and screws in both of my ankles. I work 12hr rotating shifts, have a family and everything that goes with that and I still make time to eat healthy and go to the gym 6 days a week, whether its getting up at 4:30am to go before work or going in the morning straight after a nightshift. I make it work.