vegan diet plan

Options
Just turned vegan a month a go and start diet plan this week. I do struggle to get protein in my diet...any help please

Replies

• dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Beans, peas, and lentils are great for protein and fiber. Nut and seeds have protein and fat. Tempeh, seitan, and tofu are all good sources as well, once you learn how to prepare them right (there is nothing worse than poorly prepared tofu :P)

But unless you're under-eating, doing competitive bodybuilding, or subsisting on primarily processed food it shouldn't be hard to hit your RDA for protein. How much are you shooting for?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, it's been 2 years and I'm still learning. ;) I have been thinking about incorporating a protein powder lately to see if that makes a difference in how I feel. You can add me as a friend and look at my diary if you like, though my food is far from interesting. =)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I try to incorporate more vegan dishes in my diet. I do still eat some meat. I use a protein supplement, muscle milk. There are others that may be more to your liking. I cant have soy, milk, or nuts. My goal is rather high minimum 70-100 g/day, which I rarely hit. I am trying to gain some muscle. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan for weight loss purposes? If so, don't bother being vegan. If you are doing it for moral reasons then you will most likely need a supplement to more easily keep your macros in check without going over in calories. things like beans and lentils and nuts are all calorie dense and are better sources of carbs/fat than they are protein.
  • 1976mmm
    1976mmm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply. Its for moral reasons. Been veggie for 12 years.
  • 1976mmm
    Options
    Thanks Lauren. Have added u as friend. I love smoothies so im trying protein powder. Havent found one I like yet flavour wise. I did try to use them in bfast muffins (yuk). Wasnt very nice..lol
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Protein from Veggie sources are not as easily absorbed by your body as Protein from animal sources. So you should consume a bit more protein than regular recommendations. Also take vitamin supplements since some vitamins like B12 are not present in vegan diet.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegan for ages and have around 200g of protein a day. I use pea protein and flavour it with a bit of stevia. That with almond milk is pretty great! I add some leucine to the protein powder to to make sure i get the full range of BCAAs. I also eat tofu to round it all out.
    Getting enough protein is most definitely possible and quite easy being a vegan i assure you. Pretty sure Muscle Milk isnt vegan too, just in case you were considering that
  • 1976mmm
    Options
    What % is advisable for loosing weight. At the moment im trying for 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat. Must say some of the ingredients mentioned is foreign to me so might need to do a bit of research..lol.
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd be interested to know why people decide to go vegan. I can understand people who have moral concerns about how animals are treated (I do too), but I have the feeling this is not the main concern of a lot of vegans or at least of those who I know. What other reasons are there?

From a dietary perspective, especially if you are try to lose weight, doing without all animal products makes it rather difficult to maintain a healthy marco ratio without supplementing.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Animal welfare is my main concern- but the impact on the environment is another.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Some weeks I eat vegan. Most weeks vegetarian.
    I can fit in my protein with vegetables like Kale, Broccoli, Swiss, Chard, romaine.
    Also lentils, beans, nuts, hemp seed, and some protein powder some days.
    I stay away from carbs with very little protein in ratio to the calories like rice and bread.
    There are tons of carbs in beans.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    LutzMol wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know why people decide to go vegan. I can understand people who have moral concerns about how animals are treated (I do too), but I have the feeling this is not the main concern of a lot of vegans or at least of those who I know. What other reasons are there?

From a dietary perspective, especially if you are try to lose weight, doing without all animal products makes it rather difficult to maintain a healthy carb intake.

Some of us have strong moral reasons that go beyond animal treatment.
  • 1976mmm
    Options
    Just go and look into the dairy industry than u can understand why people go vegan.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On a baser note ...how do you cope with the flatulence? Beans and lentils play havoc with my digestive system, I've even had to remove them from my veggie chilli even though I love the taste
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm not sure where you guys are from, but here in Germany you can buy animal products that are in harmony with nature - at least to my standard. Obviously, this excludes all supermarket products.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    1976mmm wrote: »
    Just go and look into the dairy industry than u can understand why people go vegan.

Short answer is that the spices and other ingredients in the bean dish are important for some people.
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/avoid-gas-from-beans.html/2
  • RodaRose
    Options
    LutzMol wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you guys are from, but here in Germany you can buy animal products that are in harmony with nature - at least to my standard. Obviously, this excludes all supermarket products.

Yes we have that here too for a price. And availability depends on location.
    Some of us have other concerns -- such as the very high degree of injury of men working in the U.S. meat processing plants -- usually manned by recent immigrants.
    That is just one of my concerns. Mostly, I like plants better than meat.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    On a baser note ...how do you cope with the flatulence? Beans and lentils play havoc with my digestive system, I've even had to remove them from my veggie chilli even though I love the taste

Your body adapts. I cook with a lot of dried beans and they always get an overnight soak, which helps. If you regularly eat a lot of fiber, it's something your body gets used to.

Before I was veg, like 8 years ago I was doing weight Watchers when Fiber One bars were all the rage. Those were way worse in the flatulence department!

• LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 80% vegan. I will eat crustaceans from time to time but no dairy. I've never had a hard time getting enough protein. I use hemp seeds in my green smoothies and make sure I have some form of protein (tofu, seitan, tempeh, beans) with every meal. If you're a strict vegan you must take B 12 supplements but the protein isn't that difficult.

As for flatulence, skim the foam off when cooking beans. Beano helps too.