Lifting for women

Options
bmfrazie
bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
I am just about to finish up doing my t25 workouts and looking at heading back into the gym on a regular basis. My goals for this year include building muscle and toning up. I haven't done major lifting though since I was 18 (14 years). Anyone know of any good workout plans to look into?

Replies

• haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use SL 5x5's. It has an app that makes it easy to follow.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    HaiLDodger wrote: »
    I use SL 5x5's. It has an app that makes it easy to follow.

I have also been following SL 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Woman (NROL for short) is a popular one but I haven't tried it. Strong Curves is another. I liked it but I like SL better. SC does have different levels.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    After the first few stages, I found NROL4W needlessly complicated. SL 5x5 was good and allowed me to progress in measurable ways. After doing it for a while, if you get bored you can add on accessory lifts.
  • JessMcD86
    Options
    Depending on the type of lifting you are looking at doing, I would highly recommend a trainer, they can check your form to make sure you don't get injured. I know it's another expense but I spent about 12 months with mine and am now confident in going it alone (I do deadlifts, clean and jerks and snatches so form is very important). If this in not an option, there are plenty of youtube and books to reference
  • hungryrunner30
    Options
    Look up burn the fat, feed the muscle PDF. Great program. I'm seeing some amazing results with it
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 here too. I highly recommend the group for women here too, full of supportive and knowledgeable women.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely SL 5X5
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    Look up burn the fat, feed the muscle PDF. Great program. I'm seeing some amazing results with it

I def will read that one today!
    logg1e wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5 here too. I highly recommend the group for women here too, full of supportive and knowledgeable women.

I was just going to ask if there was a group for women on here because I know I need support.

Thanks for all your help. I will be look at the 5x5 today and if that doesn't look right for me I will order the book and see what that is about