Dukan Diet

Options
Hello everyone,

I have been hearing a lot about the Dukan Diet and then I even seen Dr. OZ talk about it on his show. I went to the bookstore for the book but had to be put on a wait list. They tell me they cannot keep this book on the shelve, it just flies off.

So anyway, is there anyone on MFP who are on this diet? I have read some about it online but would like to know more. I did read you cannot drink any alcohol and if you are on this diet, do you drink it from time to time. Although I am very interested in this plan , I have gave so much up in my life and I really do enjoy my drinks every now and then. I mean I know it has a lot of calories and you should stay away no matter what plan you are on, but I do not drink the sugary drinks or beer. If I do drink anything I mix it with diet drinks :drinker:

Replies

• cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i would like to know too!!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    watching
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Its diet ! in my experiance you do "A DIET" you go back to eating "NORMALLY" and you put it back on and then some, better to change your life stle and eatting habits a bit at a time ...

Saw this today ! this makes sense! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232427-hungry-girl-advice
  • Corismom
    Corismom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a week. Talk about gross. bad breath...yuck,

watch your calories and work out...that is the trick.

eat less and move more.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I looked into the web site, it has so many typos and seems more of a scam diet than anything healthy or lasting to be honest. Not very professional or filled with actual medical science behind it despite its claim to be from a Dr.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of a diet that has a name. I believe in eating well and working out. I know this sounds simple but I think that works the best (at least that I have tried). But good luck. I know what you mean about drinking. I really don't drink often but when I want to I am going to. I don't drink beer or sodas EVER. All the more reason. Everything in moderation though. :flowerforyou:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    Options
    I tried it for a week. Talk about gross. bad breath...yuck,

watch your calories and work out...that is the trick.

eat less and move more.

here , here quick fixes don't work!
  • frenchee40
    frenchee40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to wait to read it, your local library must have a copy. I know my library has it but there was a short list ahead of me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's another post on this that I just responded to, so I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote there:

The Dukan Diet was named one of the 5 worst diets of 2011 by the British Dietetic Association. There is NO research to back up any of their claims and, personally, I find a protein only diet (the first phase) to be more than a little scary. You can actually get really sick eating only protein; your liver can't process more than 200-300 grams of protein a day.

Dukan is advertising itself as the "French Atkins". If you want to follow that type of plan, I think you'd be better off looking into the REAL Atkins plan, which has been around for over 30 years and has a ton of scientific research to back it up.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    "diets" don't work... you end up putting the weight back on once you start eating normally...

MFP lets you eat normally, and still lose weight, its slower, but your chances of keeping the weight off go up significantly.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Why try yet another fad diet when MFP works so well for so many? Making permanent changes for a lifetime beats out any fad diet, so many come and go, there'll be another 'new diet' tomorrow. Permanent changes cost nothing and actually save money on health costs in the future and frustration in the short term.

I have to say it surprises me so many of those jumpin on this Dukan thread have been here so long yet are still looking for that magic fix that simply just doesn't exist.

ETA: Cheers to those of you not getting sucked into the Dukan diet and sharing your knowledge on 'fad diets' not working. You all got your posts in ahead while I was typing mine. :wink: Always LOVE to see the majority on a fad diet thread cheering on MFP rather than the fad diet itself.

Wisdom is everything when making life changes, doing it the MFP way gets us to our wanted results far more quickly actually because we don't have to keep starting over each a new diet comes along.

Have a great day All:drinker:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    Options
    Also just looked at your diary , in my opion your not eatting enough

please read this eating to little can do more harm than good...

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The diet has been increasingly popular ever since the royal wedding and Kate's mother has said that she lost a lot of weight on it. I decided to give it a try, I'm currently in the Attack phase day 3. I'm planning on being on it for 5 days of just pure protein, and then start the cruise phase where you can incorporate veggies and proteins...so far it's been challenging to just stick to proteins, but it's only for 5 days so it's not too bad, and you can have as much protein and lean meats as you want
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    I agree, I think the diet that works the best is healthy proportional meals and daily exercise. Diets like the Dukan Diet or anyothers can leave you feeling deprived and lead to binges or worse, going wild and forgetting that you could gain weight back after you've reached your goal.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    My boss was telling me about this last week...she takes a different approach to weight loss than I do. That sort of thing is not for me at all. I am of the firm belief that only lifestyle changes can take you where you want to go and KEEP you there. I mean, seriously, any diet that has "Attack" as a phase is just plain scary. My body doesn't need to be attacked; it needs to be nourished, strengethened, and maintained. Never attacked.
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A guy in my office just started the Dukan diet this week. From what he described, it sound really hard with lots of sacrafice. I started with Atkins which worked great and then I added calorie counting and exercise. Instead of Dukan, my suggestion is to use MFP to keep your carbs around 20 and your calories at the number MFP calculates. Less sacrafice means it has a better chance of long term success
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I saw that too but I rather just use portion control. I would not be able to stay on it for long . I just don't fele like I could do it for the rest of my life even though I'm old.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Even on it's own website it says that 95% of people who go on the diet gain ALL the weight back. Not good.

This diet is similar to Atkins except it's a low fat version. You are incredibly limited on what you "can" eat and the stress to the liver is incredibly high. To me, the benefits come no where close to outweighing the risks. Plus, if you are anything like me, you won't stick with such a restrictive diet for more than a week if that ---- then you'll have a binge.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It's aspects of everything else out their combined uniquely and RE-Branded with yet another Drs. name .
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    Dr Oz program was very informative .. laid out the diet's each phase .. was interesting to see that Dr Oz was not against the diet ...

... his final words were ... he was ok with phase one since it was short lived and one is not on it for a long period of time ... and produced fast weight loss .. was ok with phase two since it provided long term management skills .... as for phase 3 or the consolidation phase .. he would like to see people stay off processed food and not go crazy with " eat what ever you like" for 6 days period and protein one day ...