Who cycles?

Options
I'm new to this forum. Just started a weight loss program a few weeks ago and decided on cycling for my cardio. I previous have run (up to a half marathon) but find the getting in shape portion of running to be way too painful for me. I love the bike cause I can hop on and workout for an hour straight at a good intensity. That is something I can't do with running as I will gas out and just want to go home. Love the speed aspect of cycling too.

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a future triathlete to me... :wink: Welcome to MFP!!
  • sociologygirl
    Options
    I'm attempting to get into outdoor cycling, though I've taken cycling classes at my local gym which I LOVE. I burn easily 800 cals in that class. I know that outside you'll end up burning more, as you're dealing with the elements. I try to map out a good route. I think the issue with some cycling is that typically its not a high intensity exercise like running can be, as you're not forcing your body as much as running requires. However the impact from running can be challenging and damaging to the body....I'm mending a torn meniscus (surgery soon)....so I had to give up running, and some anticipated 5-10ks coming up soon.

I think if you incorporate some hills (if possible) or go to some trails, with a mountain bike that you can increase your endurance and calorie burn!! good luck!
  • Case0099
    Case0099 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love cycling! I've tried running too and its painful to get into running shape, but I can jump on my bike whenever and do 20 miles no problem! It burns a lot of calories fast too (probably my favorite part about biking!)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I teach a spin class and it's how I've lost a total of 90 lbs. i love to bike.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about buying a bike so I could cycle to work a day or so a week.
    Mainly for gas savings as opposed to excericse, but the added cardio is always a bonus.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Cycling is great especially if you have joint pain. It isn't as rough on the joints but you can still get a great workout. The best part is, it makes your legs look great! Have you ever seen a cyclist with ugly legs? I think not! haha
    Anyhow I agree with you about cycling, it's a ton of fun and it's definitely something you can get others to do with you.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I do. Can't say much now because I am at work and typing on my phone. But feel free to friend me if you are looking for cycling friends on here. :)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I do and I love it!! Cycling can be just as high intensity as running and it's a great calorie burner. You can also add me if you're looking for cycling friends.
  • spiritmachine
    Options
    Glad to see that I am not alone. And thanks for the link to the cycle club. OK well all this talk about cycling has made me want to go out for a ride!
  • sociologygirl
    Options
    Anyone have any good recommendations on bikes as well?? I've researched a couple, and looking for a beginner bike. I'd like to keep it under $400.00 , as I realize they are NOT cheap :))
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good recommendations on bikes as well?? I've researched a couple, and looking for a beginner bike. I'd like to keep it under $400.00 , as I realize they are NOT cheap :))

your best bet is to look for close outs, last years bikes that are still at the shop. Or craigslist. But make sure you know your size and take someone knowledgeable with you. You can get a decent entry level mountain bike for that price. Road bikes usually run more.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I cycle. Not as much as I'd like. I'm currently working out some logistics. Next week I plan to start commuting at least one day a week on my 2002 Specialized Rock Hopper. Not exactly a commuting bike, but part of commuting is about saving money, and buying a road bike certainly wouldn't do that.

Here's website that will tell you more about bikes, the biking community than you ever wanted to know. Some hardcore riders hangout in the forums. It's mostly geared toward Mt Biking, but there are links to other websites if you don't find what you're looking for: www.mtbr.com
  • spiritmachine
    Options

I have a hybrid bike now. So not a mountain bike but not quite a road bike. I have the Trek 7.3FX. Think I paid around 500-600. You can probably find a used one on CL for $400. It's a pretty good bike. I normally do about 14mph average, which is a good bit slower than a road bike but still fun. Agree with other poster that road bike is not really possible for that money.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of bike you are looking for. I bought my first good bike just over a month ago. I got a Giant Sedona, which is considered to be a "comfort bike". I bought it for riding to work instead of buying a second car. I ride it around three days a week for now, and I absolutely love it. It cost $404, brand new, after tax and all.

If you are just looking to buy a bike that you can take out riding for fun and exercise, or something to commute on, or just to get around town on, this type of bike will suit your needs just fine and you can get one for that price.

If you are looking for something more specialized, like a racing bike, you will need to spend more.

For me, my bike suits me fine as a beginner, and I go out riding all the time. During the week to get to work and on the weekends just for fun even.
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    catcher_in_the_pie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love my bike. I have a Jamis road bike now, but I also want a folding bike for commuting.