Quest bars

Options
So while I am trying to increase my fiber intake I've been using these to help reach that goal. I like the taste of most of the chocolate ones but I find the chewiness and texture turns me off to them. I've been thinking of blending a bar and drinking it. Has anyone tried this? If so, did it come out decent or just a gooey mess that is even worse?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Stick them in a microwave for thirty seconds. Blending will not end well

This would work when I'm home but unfortunately I typically eat them at work where I don't have access to a microwave :(. Is there a specific reason you say it won't end well?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the cookies n cream flavor? They seem to be softer and less chewy than the chocolate ones, while still having, you know, chocolate.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Have you tried the cookies n cream flavor? They seem to be softer and less chewy than the chocolate ones, while still having, you know, chocolate.

I bought a whole bunch of different flavors to try- cookies and cream being one of them. Haven't tried it yet though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try blending. You don't need the protein, just the fiber? That's a pretty expensive way to add fiber. Fiber is cheap. You can take pills or drink a powder in water or chew a gummy or even just munch veggies.

Or if you prefer something that's more of a pre-packaged, high fiber meal replacement, I'd pick up a canned protein drink or make one from protein powder and add psyllium or other fiber supplement powder, if there are no high fiber ones sold.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    I sometimes bake mine for 5-10 minutes to crisp them up. Particularly the cookie style ones. Then it does feel like I'm having just regular cookies rather than a protein bar.

They're probably still the best textured bars I've tried though, others are WAY too chewy.
  • freyja1197
    freyja1197 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Benefiber is awesome if you're just looking to increase your fiber intake :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    I wouldn't try blending. You don't need the protein, just the fiber? That's a pretty expensive way to add fiber. Fiber is cheap. You can take pills or drink a powder in water or chew a gummy or even just munch veggies.

Or if you prefer something that's more of a pre-packaged, high fiber meal replacement, I'd pick up a canned protein drink or make one from protein powder and add psyllium or other fiber supplement powder, if there are no high fiber ones sold.

I had been using psyllium capsules but it wasnt high enough in fiber per capsule. The quest bars have 15+ fiber per bar.
    freyja1197 wrote: »
    Benefiber is awesome if you're just looking to increase your fiber intake :)

Unfortunately I can't use benefiber because they can not guarantee their product never was cross contaminated with something contains gluten :(.
    lolly715 wrote: »
    I sometimes bake mine for 5-10 minutes to crisp them up. Particularly the cookie style ones. Then it does feel like I'm having just regular cookies rather than a protein bar.

They're probably still the best textured bars I've tried though, others are WAY too chewy.

Ill try that and try to eat the bars at home instead of at work so I can do this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with microwaving it.. I generally did it for 15 seconds otherwise they would blow up...

On a side note, could you just eat more veggies?
  • elphie754
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I agree with microwaving it.. I generally did it for 15 seconds otherwise they would blow up...

I am working on eating more fruits and veggies but was using these during the transition.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am working on eating more fruits and veggies but was using these during the transition.

Cool.. if you want some good recipes, check out www.mccormick.com . They have really helped me get my fiber.

• elphie754
    Options

Cool.. if you want some good recipes, check out www.mccormick.com . They have really helped me get my fiber.

Great! Ty for the suggestion :).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would think that blending a Quest bar would be hard on the blender. Since they are hard but chewy I'd imagine it would really gum it up and be hard to wash.

I recommend Combat Crunch bars.
  • elphie754
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would think that blending a Quest bar would be hard on the blender. Since they are hard but chewy I'd imagine it would really gum it up and be hard to wash.

I recommend Combat Crunch bars.

No can do. Label on them says manufactured in a place that uses wheat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I had been using psyllium capsules but it wasnt high enough in fiber per capsule. The quest bars have 15+ fiber per bar.
    I don't think there's any reason you can't use psyllium powder to get 15+mg of fiber per day. It's just plant fiber. I'm not arguing against Quest bars, I like them, but it's just such an expensive source of fiber and if you don't like them, why spend so much?

Can you eat Fiber One products? A half cup of Fiber One cereal has 14g. A cup of beans has around 15g.

• elphie754
    Options

I don't think there's any reason you can't use psyllium powder to get 15+mg of fiber per day. It's just plant fiber. I'm not arguing against Quest bars, I like them, but it's just such an expensive source of fiber and if you don't like them, why spend so much?

Can you eat Fiber One products? A half cup of Fiber One cereal has 14g. A cup of beans has around 15g.

Sadly no I can't since most of their products contain oat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Can you put the Quest bar in a place that generates heat? Like on top of your computer tower or even under your thigh for a bit? Even a little heat can really help it go down. I can't eat any of them without them being heated.

I second (or third) the cookies and cream bar suggestion. It's the only one I can actually eat.

You can try blending, but I can't imagine that ending up the way you'd like.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Microwave and the cookie dough ones rock!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have access to a microwave what about throwing it in on your dashboard in your car while you are out? The heat should heat it up quite ab bit. I've done this while I am at work.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    IDK about quest bars but you could increase fiber by adding chia to that smoothie or making a "pudding" by letting chia soak in milk and maybe adding some protein powder or cinnamon...Personally I am on a kick of mixing chia with peanut butter....ch-ch-ch-chia! lol
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Stick them in a microwave for thirty seconds. Blending will not end well

This would work when I'm home but unfortunately I typically eat them at work where I don't have access to a microwave :(. Is there a specific reason you say it won't end well?

If I don't have access to a microwave, I'll just put the quest bar in one of my pockets for half an hour or so to warm it up. While it's not as great, it works in a pinch.