Corn Intolerance

Options
I was diagnosed with corn intolerance (I know that this is not a true allergy) but what I did not realize is that a lot of foods contain some sort of derivative of corn. Does anyone else have a corn intolerance/allergy? Can you give me some ideas of things that do not contain corn or a derivative of corn in them?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't have a corn intolerance, however I am keenly aware of how corn has "snuck" into the industrial food system (thank the US government and their corn subsidies). The more you eat real whole foods, the less of a problem this is. Corn is in many processed foods, whether it is via oil, sugars like HFCS, or starch. The more you eat from whole ingredients, the less of an issue you have. For example, if you have a chicken stir fry for dinner, you may have some rice, some chicken, some assorted veg stir fried in a little oil. Other add -ins may be soy sauce or sesame oil. Compare this to a frozen heat and eat bag of chicken stir fry and the ingredient list will be a mile long, and likely include all sorts of corn derivatives.

Also, I am not sure if your intolerance goes so far as you can't eat standard supermarket beef since they are fed corn vs. grass fed.
  • Formerhealy
    Options
    I have a corn intolerance myself. I have been suffering with it for about 3 or 4 years now. I am definitely able to pinpoint that my problem is corn..and anything made with a corn starch or corn flour, etc. I am able to tolerate corn syrup fortunately. Anyway, I have learned through trial and error over time...that corn is in many foods you would not expect. I had to learn what chips I could eat that would be okay to dip in salsas or cheese when eating mexican foods, etc. Stacy's Pita Chips are really good to dip and they even make dessert chips. That gives me the crunch I need that is similar to corn chips. Many restaurants will provide you with flour chips if you only ask. Please be careful when you eat pizza. Make sure the bottom is not dusted with corn. I find that many pizzas are made that way. Also, be cautious when ordering sandwiches out at restaurants. A lot of rolls and buns are dusted with corn too (kaiser rolls). I often ask about breadings when I'm eating out...but I've learned to not trust most people when they say it doesn't contain corn. Most anything breaded and deep fried like fish will have some type of corn meal in the breading. Chicken fingers have been traditionally safe though. Of course, it's best to limit any fried foods to begin with for heart health. But these are just some findings I've noted. I am able to eat Rice Chex or Rice Krispies, but many cereals are out of the question. I even got sick one time off eating some animal crackers (cookies) that my kids had on a trip. Same thing with some gold fish. Being in the south, I've also learned that I cannot eat anything containing grits. Another mistake I made was eating rice at a friend's house. Rice seems perfectly normal, right?? WRONG. It was a mix that contained some corn derivative. One good thing about avoiding (although it stinks), is that your diet usually gets healthier. Good luck with your intolerance. I ate some fish today breaded in panko crumbs...which the chef told me was okay...and I have been sick all evening...waiting on the pain to subside.
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    corn allergy here. My symptoms are quite mild, but I keep my intake to a bare minimum.
    Read the label of everything you purchase.
    Go online and read nutrition facts from companies large enough to maintain a list.
    Ask your server at restaurants to check with the chef.
    But honestly, it boils down to one thing.
    Cook your own food.
    It's the only way to be sure.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! I so thought this was going to be a joke thread. I didn't realize that there was such a thing as a corn intolerance.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the documentary 'King Corn'? Check it out. It's on Netflix instant. I really enjoyed it.

The most terrifying part for me was when the scientists tested the filmmaker's hair. They determined their hair was MADE OF CORN. That's how much corn we take in as part of our regular diets.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wow! I so thought this was going to be a joke thread. I didn't realize that there was such a thing as a corn intolerance.

Yep. Kind of like my friend that is allergic to green beans.

I think it's pretty new. Check out the documentary I mentioned above: King Corn.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Thought it was gonna be "corny" didja? :laugh:
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    [quote/]I think it's pretty new. Check out the documentary I mentioned above: King Corn.
    [/quote]

not necessarily. I was diagnosed 25 years ago.
  • nicamanda68
    Options
    About 3 years ago, I was having so much trouble with my digestive tract, that I ended up in the emergency room. Everything major was ruled out and eventually I was tested for celiac's disease and I was negative. But by the advice of my SIL, I went off of gluten. I was feeling better for about three days, but had started eating more of other things (such as corn) while cutting out gluten product. I was getting sick again and worse.

My mom had remembered that when I was 10 (36 years ago),I had chronic stomach aches, so I went to the allergist and was tested for everything. I tested positive to corn. They sent me home and told us to remove everything they tested for, then add back things slowly to see what I would react to (at home). When I returned two weeks later, we had told them that I didn't have any reactions and they tested me again. I then tested positive to everything! So they called it a false positive and that was that.

I have battled stomach pain all my life, but it got worse as I got older.

Flash forward to trying gluten free. I decided to reintroduce gluten and try to cut out corn. Immediately, I noticed a difference. I have cut out as much as possible, but hidden ingredients get me every time. I agree with the person that said that whole foods is the safest way to go. I am finding out today that even citric acid (which one associates with lemons, limes and oranges, but also included veggies which proves to be too expensive to manufacture) actually comes from corn. It's cheaper and is considered "natural" since well, it's corn. It's in diet drinks, "flavored" waters and some "healthy" drinks as well. Oh and salad dressings, unless you make your own.

It is nearly impossible to avoid corn all together, unless you only eat whole foods, nothing processed at all. I haven't resorted to "if it's in a box, don't eat it", but I am going to have to. I've had two very severe reactions in the last two weeks. The first one was digestive and has created a few other related issues, then last week I developed sever headaches (which I get them with accidental corn ingestion anyway) along with skipping heartbeats for 8 hours. I also develop (and did) a poisony feeling that I can only describe as just that. I waited until the next day to see if the skip beats and sever headaches would go away, and they did. Since trying to cut out corn for the last two years, my reactions have gotten worse. I am worried the next one will be the worst one yet. I have an allergist appointment next week, but until then I am cutting out eating out, alcohol, and "anything in a box", if I can. I need to get a handle on this allergy/intolerance.

p.s. Nut thins, found at Whole Foods, other organic stores and even some regular grocery chains (Kroger and Walmart) sell Nut Thins. Check the box for ingredients on the other flavors, but the Sea Salt nut thins should be corn free and I use them instead of corn chips and they are very delicious. Good luck to you with corn issues. Glad I found this message board!
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just narrowed down my digestive issues to corn and corn derivatives over the summer. I tried cutting sugar, dairy, gluten, alcohol first so I am certain it is corn/corn products. I am highly disappointed when I shop that almost everything has corn in it and I end up putting it back on the shelf. I usually steer clear of things with "modified food starch" also because I don't know if its corn or potato and don't want to take the chance.

nicamanda68, you mentioned skipping heartbeats - I get some issues periodically with my heart seems to slow down or skip a beat - has yours gotten better since you cut out everything else?
    -
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »
    Have you seen the documentary 'King Corn'? Check it out. It's on Netflix instant. I really enjoyed it.

The most terrifying part for me was when the scientists tested the filmmaker's hair. They determined their hair was MADE OF CORN. That's how much corn we take in as part of our regular diets.

Yeah, no. Hair is not made of corn, no matter how much you eat. Your food can't change the physical and biological structure of your body parts, that's the silliest thing I've read so far.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My nine month old grandson had a severe reaction to a corn filler in baby food. Landed him in the hospital on intravenous. I'm terrified. The stuff is everywhere.
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to corn. I also have gluten and rice intolerances so eating is fun. For more information about allergies, intolerances, and what to avoid, try this website. http://www.cornallergens.com/