What do you add to rice?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I kinda want to have rice with dinner tonight (we're having catfish and broccoli too), but plain rice is, well, boring. What do you typically add to it? I have both white and brown rice, both the çook in a bag' kind (because at least this way I can't burn it and it turns out perfect every time).

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    A little butter (I use Earth Balance because of an allergy) and pepper.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A slice of kraft cheese and some plain yogurt. Stir in to melt before serving, super easy sauce.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cooking rice in chicken broth adds a lot of flavor. A bouillon cube adds a lot of flavor (but also a lot of salt). Chopped herbs, fresh or dry, also adds a lot. Also, check out Alton Brown's oven rice instructions -- works like a charm -- fool proof.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Butter, soy sauce, garlic and onion, red pepper, lemon...sometimes I add milk and sugar. So many possibilities!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can also try cooking it in light coconut milk and adding a little curry.
  • Miggie29
    Miggie29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Herb ox has a sodium free chicken and beef broth. I add the beef one along with chopped broccoli or I do the chicjen broth and add chicken to it
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    sticky rice + butter + soya sauce = heaven
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth and add some frozen green peas and parmesan cheese toward the end. Yum.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Butter.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I often put plain steamed rice or quinoa at the bottom of a bowl and then put my steamed/sauteed vegetables and meat on top so the juices/seasonings/oils flow down and get absorbed into the rice. I like having some in the bottom of miso or thai coconut soups.

Sometimes I steam it using pot likker or chicken broth instead of water, or sprinkle some Furikake or Tamari on it.

My favorite way is to cook it in a pot for at least 2 hours (4 at a lower temperature is better) with onions, celery, chili beans, chicken, andouille sausage, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, chili powder and garlic.

or with chickpeas and curry powder and coconut milk

or I add rice wine vinegar when cooking it and make sushi out of it

If you have the counter space to spare, it's worth getting a rice cooker. Even with the cheaper ones it comes out perfect everytime.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've been thinking of getting a rice cooker but we don't eat rice that often, and counter/storage space is starting to be an issue with all the random gadgets I've been buying LOL.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Add a stock cube to the water
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    To have with catfish and broccoli? How about salsa/canned tomatoes?
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sriracha, worcestire,sauteed veggies, salsa
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth, rosemary, and lemon juice. Very simple.
  • FrancesAnnLFM
    Options
    brown white rice in skillet with pat of butter till it almost pops open add l pkg onion soup mix dry from box,add 2 c water add l small can sliced mushrooms, simmer low till fluffy about 45 min
  • ChesireMoon
    ChesireMoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add about four or five saffron threads and a pinch of kosher salt to the water before I boil it. It's wonderful but I doubt it would work for boil in bag rice. :)
  • mfi28
    mfi28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Butter and rice vinegar
  • totalsweetness96
    totalsweetness96 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take leftover rice and cook it with my eggs in the morning along with a little bit of parmesan cheese :smile: sometimes I add tomatoes and ground beef too
  • OrganicSFS
    OrganicSFS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, here’s a simple fried rice recipe which goes great with any fried dish… any culinary oil you have (I use refined coconut oil – very flavorful) + fresh minced garlic (I put a lot of this) fry until light brown in color + left over or cooked rice (white or brown) + pinch of salt and black pepper + finely chopped green onion (garnishing) and it’s done!
    When I’m too lazy to mince, I also use bottled organic garlic granules… just as good. My favorite brand is eSutras Organics. You may visit this site to find out more about them > http://organicsfs.com/brand/organic-superfoods-store/ :)