Scale down, jeans won't fit!

Options
I'm ALMOST down to my "goal weight" but I'm still not overly impressed with what clothes I'm fitting into. The scale is showing slow, but promising results, but every time I get the jeans out... I end up pretty disappointed. I have MFP set to 1lb a week (I've lost 42 lbs so far) and I've incorporated running into my schedule. Any suggestions? Advice? Words of encouragement?

Replies

• calisandy
    calisandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just keep tracking and dont give up. Your body is probably still adjusting to the weight loss. You will continue to "shrink". Congrats on your loss!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! Lower your goal to .5 lb. per week. The smaller deficit will help you transfer to maintenance.

It's time to change your focus from losing pounds to increasing your lean body mass, aka body recomposition or recomp. I'm sure people in the Exercise forum can advise you on that—it involves lifting weights and/or doing body weight exercises.
  • chb92
    chb92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I've been in the weight loss mode for awhile and now; it is going to be hard to switch to body toning! Just frustrating when I don't see the results I want.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I tell myself "I got smaller. Now I want to get stronger."
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,221 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm going to agree with editorgrrl - body recomp is the way to go. Lifting weights will allow you to shrink down a bit more without losing more weight than you had planned. I get that it's frustrating to have had expectations and then be disappointed when you thought you should have been there. But you've lost 42 pounds - you're doing freaking awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you lifting?

If it's jeans you want to fit ..squats, lunges, push-ups, weights are your friends

(We've lost the same amount :smile: yay us!)

My other advice would be to go jeans shopping and try on lots of different brands and styles because one type does not suit all..
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, lower your body fat.

Or try new pants.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Classic judge your success based on feel rather than a scale number. Good for you for hitting your weight goal, but if anything this should mean you should look for other ways to measure your success. Eg clothes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    as others have said, just keep on going, those jeans will fit you again :) I agree with incorporating strength training, even if you don't have gym access you can do strength workouts from home with either your own body weight or with dumb bells. I've lost several inches off my hips/waist due to strength workouts and running 5 days a week yet the scale hasn't moved an awful lot.
    Well done on your success so far :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Do you lift?
  • chb92
    chb92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all the replies, everyone. Looks like everyone agrees on lifting. :) I've recently started doing body weight exercises (squats, lunges, pushups etc...) And of course I Gained a few pounds automatically! I'll keep going though, we can do this! Thanks for the support!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    chb92 wrote: »
    Thanks for the all the replies, everyone. Looks like everyone agrees on lifting. :) I've recently started doing body weight exercises (squats, lunges, pushups etc...) And of course I Gained a few pounds automatically! I'll keep going though, we can do this! Thanks for the support!

Hurray! And start taking progress photos and measurements—they'll show you your progress much better than the scale.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to start lifting.

About 10 years ago I weighed the same as I weigh now-- ~185lbs. I wore a size 16 pants and 18/20 shirt. I gained weight and hit my high of 230lbs. A month into my weight loss journey, a wonderful man convinced me to add weights to my gym routine. I lost about 35 pounds and got down to a size 14. Ten months ago I started training with a bodybuilder. I've only lost about 5lbs, but i am now comfortable in a size 12, and I can zip a 10.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercises does the body builder have you do? Anything that can be done at home with minimal equipment?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you pear-shaped? Are you doing weight resistance lower-body exercises that build up the lower body? That could be a factor.

Otherwise, you may simply have not lost enough weight (and specifically fat) to see a big difference yet. Keep going.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    what kind of exercises does the body builder have you do? Anything that can be done at home with minimal equipment?

Of course! There are lots of free workouts using just your bodyweight on youtube try Hasfit, Jessica Smith, Fitness Blender.