Sugar or Subsitute?

Options
Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
Which one do you prefer and why? I like the sugar better cause it doesnt make things taste as sweet but then again sweetner has no calories

Replies

• natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I prefer Sugar, I have just cut down and so use less these days.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that sweetner can make you feel hungry? So I stay away where I can from them. Plus sugar is more natural, must be better for health.

Nat x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid refined sugar and stick to natural sweenteners like honey, molasses, stevia, etc. In moderation, of course. ;) As I've gotten older I've found I feel better if I stick to whole natural foods as much as possible.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree, sweeteners are horrible chemicals. Natural products are better. I use fruit sugar. Its the same in calories but you dont need as much as it is very sweet. I also use honey.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    what do you use for coffee?
  • Flocker1979
    Flocker1979 Posts: 96
    Options
    Only sugar, but then again, I'm allergic to the artificial ones... I've read so many horrible things about them.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No calorie artificial sweeteners are definitely something to stay away from. Stevia on the other hand is a no calorie natural sweetener. Some people don't like the taste and it is a little more expensive. Otherwise I agree with using honey and other natural sweeteners.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners taste terrible (to me) and I am afraid of their affects on my health. In my opinion, if you use enough sugar daily where you feel the need to go to the no calorie stuff, you are ingesting too much sugar in your diet to begin with considering the real stuff is only 15 calories per teaspoon.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed!

I used to be an aspartame addict - Equal in the coffee, Diet Coke galore. I then switched to plain 'ol sugar (and cut out the Diet Coke) and now I'm trying out blue agave nectar. I'm liking it although I have to make sure to measure it accurately since it's easy to pour it heavy!
  • CityGirlLost
    CityGirlLost Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything new to add that hasn't already been said, but I use sugar instead of the artificial stuff because I'm trying to ingest fewer chemical products. I'm so proud of myself for decreasing the amount of sugar in my coffee from 2+ teaspoons to 1.

The hardest thing for me is avoiding soda. I love soda. When I feel like I have to have one or I'll start obsessing about it, I love the Pepsi throwback made with real sugar instead of corn syrup.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    what do you use for coffee?
    I don't often drink coffee but I would use fruit sugar. It's just like normal granulated but you need less as it is sweeter.
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    xylitol tastes great in cookies (it mimics the taste and texture perfectly). otherwise i use stevia : )