Butter!

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, I use a more-healthy spread on toast, but am finding the toast is as good without it.

On the rare occasion that use butter, I use real butter, but get the "lite" version.

I just don't use it all that often. I worked on decreasing the amount of butter I use and I did it. So, it really isn't a big deal. :)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use real butter for cooking. For spreading on toast, I use Land O Lakes Butter with Olive Oil, just because it's spreadable out of the fridge, and I like the taste.

I went through a margarine phase in the mid-90's. Thank goodness it didn't last long. I can't stand the taste now...

http://www.landolakes.com/Products/Custom/15179.aspx
  • Pamtho2015
    Pamtho2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We use "I can't believe it's not butter - light" for sandwiches when dieting, but I still use real butter where you can taste it, like on fresh bread or toast. I just weigh it out and try to use smaller amounts such as 5g per slice.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What do people use instead of real butter.....that has a the closest proximity in taste to real butter?

I'm another person who uses real butter. I think it is healthier than most substitutes as long as you aren't consuming a pound a day.
    Sometimes in cooking I might use olive oil or something instead of butter.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Eng. I liked Lurpac Now I eat Dairy Lea or Bacel
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What do people use instead of real butter.....that has a the closest proximity in taste to real butter?

Butter. Seriously. The calorie count keeps me from consuming too much, but you ain'ta gonna get me to cook without my butter or olive oil.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My family grew up with margarine and every time we went to Cheesecake Factory, I would always wonder why their butter tasted so much better than what we had at home. It took me years to realize butter and margarine were two separate products.

Never went back. I've heard good things flavorwise about using coconut oil for cooking.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My parents only bought margarine my entire childhood. I never developed a taste for butter. It actually is very gross to me and I'll spit it out. If I need a buttery type of thing (like for cinnamon toast, or to make the salt stick to my corn on the cob) I use Brummel and Brown. Or sometimes Country Crock. But only a little bit. I don't want to be able to actually taste it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Breakstone's salted butter. I'm not a fan of margerine on principle - I don't know if it tastes better or worse, I just don't like the idea of it. I only buy a quarter pound at a time because it lasts forever at the rate I eat it.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Valtishia wrote: »
    I use butter, oils (usually olive or coconut) or animal fats for cooking. We need some fats in our diet. My body reacts badly to soy as well... so margarine is out for sure.

This. Butter substitutes are gross to me.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    MMMM butter!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    We use Earth Balance here. But if you eat dairy, I don't see a reason not to use the real thing. Most butter subs are pretty gross. Earth Balance is acceptable to me.
  • jessthep1rate
    jessthep1rate Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. Butter. Can't go wrong with two ingredients and delicious. Unless you are using an insane amount of it, the calories are negligible/worth it.

Now, my boyfriend is allergic to dairy, so when it comes to stuff for him we use Earth Balance--the tub works great for spreading on toast and whatnot, and the sticks are awesome for baking, and more or less the ONLY non-butter I will use for baking, because the result is almost indistinguishable from using real butter.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My family grew up with margarine and every time we went to Cheesecake Factory, I would always wonder why their butter tasted so much better than what we had at home. It took me years to realize butter and margarine were two separate products.

Never went back. I've heard good things flavorwise about using coconut oil for cooking.
    This happened to me also! I could never understand why the baked potatoes at restaurants tasted so much better than the ones at home. :)
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My vote is for grass-fed butter. Yum.

dbb8a8074e1156a10b646dfb89eeeac0.jpg?itok=2rb8AnbT
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Only real butter. If it's grass fed and organic, even better. Nothing else tastes as good and I end up using more and still craving the butter. I also put whole milk in my coffee for the same reasons.
  • letgoorbedragged
    letgoorbedragged Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice folks!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I use real butter. My husband uses Blue Bonnet and he seems to like it fine. Personally I grew up on margarine and didn't taste butter until a couple of years ago. Once I tried it I haven't gone back.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance because I'm vegan but if I wasn't vegan I'd just eat real butter. Fit it in your day somehow! Most substitute products are disgusting.
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    avocado/coconut oil