do you find you cant eat some foods in moderation?

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think there is no such thing as a food you cannot eat in moderation; the issue is how we view moderation.

Most people hear moderation and think of it as "only eating one portion size of said food." Which is true, you can do moderation by portion size, and for some people, that works. There are people who can have one serving of chocolate every day and be perfect content.

However, moderation can also be about frequency. If there's a food that you know you are going to overeat, you can enjoy it in moderation by moderating the frequency in which you have the food. For example, I know that if I have a bag of trail mix with the dried cranberries and dark chocolate, that whole bag is going down. I'm not even going to apologize for it. So I only have that on rare occasions. It's still moderation because I am limiting how much of that food I have in my diet (in the big picture sense) and am not eliminating the food from my diet.

I know this viewpoint is a bit of semantics, but I find for the mental aspect of weight loss, it can be very empowering to view it in the sense of frequency rather than as a "I can't have this." It also eliminates the tendency to focus on something I "can't" have, not that human beings ever do stuff like that. :wink:
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Salt and Vinegar pringles! I've actually hidden them at my boyfriends house so they are out of sight, my mouths watering just at the thought of them lol. I know tomorrow once I've worked out I'll have a few extra calories so will be able to have a few and satisfy my craving.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    Chips/crackers -- anything salty are my trigger foods...So, I also can't eat just a few if there is a bag in the house....At least I'm aware of this type of behavior -- it's bad though if I go to a party and try to eat just a few....Can't stop!!! Ha.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Soda. I had to give it up completely.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    peanut butter. Okay, it's in the house because my significant other can have a tablespoon on toast... and he stops there. I would have a tablespoon sans toast... and then switch the tablespoon out for an ice cream scoop! I can pass by the peanut butter very easily as it has been 18 months for me... just afraid of what would happen if I indulge myself. I even went so far as to buy prepackaged individual servings of peanut butter but couldn't bring myself to have it.
  • ladyyueying2014
    ladyyueying2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also peanut butter! Was scooping it straight out of the jar and gobbling it down yesterday :( Thankfully I stopped before I made too much of a dent in my allotted calories for the day. Guess I'm back to staying away from it again, since I still can't control myself. Sigh.

Also tortilla chips (Chipotle's chips mmmhmm) esp with guac. I make myself get the kids' size chips when I have them (very rarely).
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Refined carbs, man. Especially salty ones. I know I'm heading for a downward spiral when I buy pasta, rice, potato chips, fancy breads, etc., because I simply can't practice moderation with these things.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Baked goods, pretty much. Chocolate and ice cream also depending on what time of the month it is.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Oreos, Chips Ahoy, and Halloween/Christmas small size chocolate bars.

It's crazy though because it's JUST those. I can bake better quality cookies, scones, pie, and eat it moderately. My husband and I regularly keep big bars of nice quality dark chocolate (especially with toffee, caramel, etc) in the pantry and share them spaced out over a week. But if I had a little bag of Snickers fun size they would be GONE in a day.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, none.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can't eat in moderation (still fits into my TDEE but I overdo it at times) is cake with sweet icing.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    M+Ms, Reese's cups (the mini ones...perfect chocolate to PB ratio), mashed potatoes.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I find I need to buy Talenti Gelato pops over the pints. I can be satisfied with one pop, but if I buy a pint I can't stop until I've basically licked the container clean.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    White pasta and bread. Once I have it, I want more.

Skittles and Starbursts - I like those much more, but I can have one Skittle a day and leave the bag. I don't crave those like I do the pasta.

People say it's not chemical and is just a lack of self-control. Maybe they're right. Maybe it's all in my head. But, it does seem odd to me that I can resist things I like much more and will still cave on the pasta.

I don't even cave because I want to eat it. I cave because I don't want to feel like I must. I get sick of the craving and just want it to go away...but it doesn't. Even eating more doesn't help for long. An hour or so later, I'll be craving it again and nothing but sleep ends the cycle. The next morning, the pasta leftovers can sit in the fridge and won't bug me at all, unless I eat some.

So, I quit buying it and switched to whole grains, which is better for me, anyway. :)
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dr. Pepper and apple pie
  • zenobia50
    Options
    Absolutely - chips, baked goods, dairy milk chocolate
    - So I just don't keep them around the house
  • hoopdancer11
    hoopdancer11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    rice, peanut butter, and homemade oatmeal cookies. However, I can have the first two in the house; I just have to enter what my serving will be BEFORE I get any. The cookies... well, it's good to be human.
  • Randy589
    Randy589 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Since I've started logging everything I've done really well. Prior to that my crack addiction was Zesty Cheese Doritos. I still eat them daily but only 50g weighed out, if I have calories left in the evening. Otherwise I eat 40g if that's all I can consume to stay under my calorie limit.
  • AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing I can't eat in Moderation: Sunflower Seeds, I will eat and eat and eat and eat all day long those things.

I may or may not be eating some right now.