WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

Sign on company bulleting board: “This firm requires no physical-fitness program. Everyone gets enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying of the handle, running down the boss, flogging dead horses, knifing friend in the back, dodging responsibility, and pushing their luck.”

:D
  • TatianaMacKenzie
    TatianaMacKenzie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this group (just found it). Not sure if I can continue to find it as I have only used this site to track... and so find it hard to "navigate" around.
    I live in the Niagara Peninsula region, am retired (over 60), a mother (he is launched), divorced, and am sorry my bike is put away for the winter months. Walking now for exercise, although I will restart curling next week, join a yoga group and go swimming once per week.
    I have been somewhat successful since mid-June in slowly losing pounds and inches (with the tracking), but fell off the programme the month of December and gained back 4 pounds. Got back on the wagon 2 days ago as I got serious again! My target is early April to complete the loss and then start maintenance. I am looking for support and also ideas that have worked for others who are on this journey to better health.

January goals:
    1) "Move" 6 days a week for 60 minutes (or more) at a time.
    2) Start a Gratitude Jar: write one thing I am grateful for every day on a piece of paper and place in the Jar. To be read at the end of 2015.
    3) Try one new vegan or vegetarian recipe a week.
    4) Be present: focus on each day, don't regret the past.
    5) Do something totally new (to me) once per week.
    6) Act the way I want to feel (happy) every day.

I have read this saying in the past and will keep it in mind every day:
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Tatiana
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Welcome J and all the new people. You will find this group to be so supportive and helpful in your journey.
    J, what works is to eat at a calorie deficit. If you follow the recommended calorie intake (which should be less than what you burn) and try to keep the sugar, carbs, fats, proteins, etc. in line, you will loose weight. I was shocked at how many calories are in some of the foods I used to eat. Just seeing how high it was gave me the incentive to stop eating those things. I also look at the calories in certain foods and pick the ones that have fewer calories, so I can eat more of them. o:) I'm not real keen on just eating 1/4 cup of something. LOL
    Just remember that this is a journey and not a sprint. It's all about changing your lifestyle and eating habits. Any exercise is better than none and you will notice lots of ladies here are avid exercisers. It's very inspiring.

Best of luck to all of us and keep up the good work.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    this is such a great group......I read through the posts and think that I should answer the questions asked by the new people and by the time I finish reading, I find out that all the questions have been answered....you are so wise and so willing to share what you know.

On my first day on MFP, I planned and logged my food for the day and made the decision to stick to the plan no matter what. That day I got a ride to a meeting with some friends and when I got in the car one of them said "we bought you a bagel" and I said "no thank you". That was the beginning for me of a way of life that has served me well. In the following days I learned more about healthy eating and began planning days with food that was more nutrition dense and more exercise.

Best wishes to everyone to never, never, never give up.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,651 Member
    Options
    6y0hqi2mc6de.jpg

Finally got to sorting some of these bibs out. This is most of what I could find so far. The oldest one was an MS bike ride when I was a volunteer and Kirby was riding. I found a St. Patty days run back in March 2000 (was 40 then). I wrote my time, 4 miles- 1hr 11min 13sec! That is just under 17min mi!!! What a difference 15 years makes.
    bibs.jpg 248.4K
  • Dkuffer
    Dkuffer Posts: 12
    Options
    Happy new year everyone. I'm 56 and need to lose 50 pounds. What I've read so far on this list has been very motivating. The hardest part for me is to "just do it". I give up on logging food, give up on going to the gym and end up giving up on myself. Prior to leaving for the holidays, I signed up for a training package at my gym - 2 workouts per week for 6 months. Since I am paying for it on a monthly basis I hope that motivates me to actually going :wink:
    -
    Eating is my big issue - I just love to eat! But I'm focusing on portion size and hope that MFP will help me to see how much is too much.

So, as I begin this journey I look forward to the motivation from this group and providing motivation to others. I will post my daily progress - let's do this thing!

Dorene
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Evening all and Happy New Year! Spent New Year's Eve and today with a good friend -- her house last night and she came to have dinner with DH and I tonight. Dogs traveled with both ways - her little pooch has gone blind in recent months and gets anxious, mine went with me as DH was out and about and I knew there would be fireworks, which upset her. She wore her thunder shirt for several hours, but we did not have to medicate her.

Gail, metro ATL
  • prfktpup
    prfktpup Posts: 112
    Options
    Happy New Year all! Dkuffer we are very similar, same age, same amount of weight to shed! Eating is my problem too, but eating on a regular basis is my biggest problem. I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch and when I get home I'm starved (well not really but it feels that way) and I eat not till I'm satisfied but till I can't think of anything else. I just want to feel good and get my blood pressure down so I don't have to medicate anymore. Lets get busy ladies and get this done.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Jeanette Jenkins 21 Day DVD. I liked this one. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class then maybe go to mahjongg.

Joyce - words cannot begin to describe how horrible things must be for you. You have such a great attitude. So many people would just cancel the celebration, but not you. Congrats on bookmarking this site!!!!

Karen - welcome! Come here often and you'll get lots of support.

Heather - have fun today!

Linda - I'm suspecting that the reason my stomach felt funny was because I made this fudge for Vince to use up some things that I had. Didn't follow any recipe just threw a little of this and a little of that in. I bought too many bars of bakers chocolate, so I threw them in, wanted to use up a can of sweetened condensed milk, so that went in, needed to finish up some butter so that went in, thought it might be too sweet with the sugar so threw in some ocoa (that's the ONLY thing I measured, I know I put in 1/4 cup). He'll probably like it because it's so sweet, but that's probably the reason that I didn't go for it.

trfree - congrats on the great loss. You'll get to goal, that's sure.

I know I gained at Christmas but now I'm finding that I'm losing at a much more slower rate. So, everyone, DO NOT give up, it just seems to go slower the closer you are to goal

Lisa - a personal trainer is a great way to start! Good luck to you. Come in often

Welcome to everyone new that I may have missed.

Jan- that's just wonderful that you can still zipper and button your pants. Makes you feel good, huh? Especially after these holidays

beth - loved that post

toni - the only problem with reducing time on the computer is that when you finally get here, there are so many posts to catch up on!

barb - awesome way to start the new year -- lighter. Congrats on becoming a grandmother! You WILL let us know when it happens! How does an action film burn more calories than a comedy? I would think that by laughing you'd burn more calories.

terri - isn't that bowling coach concerned about winning????? Stay away from those cookies!!! If his team doesn't win, it's not your fault

Diana - WTG on those steps!

patceoh - what a nice gift your daughter gave you, house cleaning. My problem would be that I'm too OCD about some things and would want them done just so. Vince has already said that he'd only get me a maid if I absolutely needed one because he knows me and I'd clean before she got here because I didn't want her to see the house a mess and then I'd clean after she left because she didn't do it my way. and he's right. You dinner sounds just wonderful!

Sue in SD - great walking!

Allie - welcome. I've learned so much on this thread, too.

Heather - you are an amazing hostess! I'm in awe how you do so much

wjhankins - if you have any question, don't hesitate to ask. Someone can help you, that's for sure

tatiana - welcome! Sounds like you're going to be one busy lady. any questions, just ask away

Michele in NC

Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present - Faith for the Future
  • knjiuv
    knjiuv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome to so many new people. To the new ones, I am not one who can remember a lot of names. So please excuse that. Yes, paying for a membership is encouragement to stick to the plan. I am a member of the Y but get it free through Silver Sneakers and I don't go as I should.

Michelle came over today and she is one mean machine. Charlie and I had already got everything out of the spare bedroom and back in the storage room so that the bedroom could be used. We did some organizing done in the family room got all of our folding chairs out and then we realizes we needed 'the facilities'. So off to the mall we went. Glad it is just a mile away and it is our old mall and only used by mall walkers and doctors offices now. So with that done we were ready to do some more work. Before we went I had kind of laid a lot of emotion on my oldest daughter. I got her all worried. So I texted her after I got home from the mall and told her I was better. And apologized. Then Michelle came over with her carpet cleaner and steamer and got to work. I stayed upstairs and cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, well the things you can do without water. It's amazing how much you can do with a single pot of water and paper towels or a scrubbie. You go outside, throw the water out and start over again. So the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms are done. Tomorrow we will put some resolve on the floor, rub it in and let it sit and then vacuum again. She does this with her dogs all the time to keep the smell out and the carpets clean. Can't cleN the sinks yet but tomorrow afternoon they will be. Dishwasher is already filled. So tomorrow afternoon we will be ready for Christmas!!!! Oh, I went over to Michelle's house and took a shower!!!!! My hair looks good, I feel good, tomorrow I get hugs from grand kids so everything is good with the world. Now if this plumbing fix tomorrow doesn't fix you will find me at our local mental institute and not as a visitor.

Joyce, indiana, the one with clean hair
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone,
    I joined mfp Jan 7th of 2014 and joined the YMCA' s 12 week choose2lose program, they recommended mfp. I lost 16 lbs and then I continued with keeping track of my calories and
    exercising to lose a total of 50 lbs, but gained back 4.5 lbs back over the holidays. I'm not going to
    beat myself up. (The old me would've thrown in the towel) not this time, being apart of this 50+ group has been my saving grace.

Barbie- Thank you for keeping us going and I love what you write in your posts."The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the most for what they want at the
    moment". Except I changed it for myself to " The reason I fail instead of succeed is that I trade what I want the most for what I want at the moment".

Joyce- sorry about your plumbing. I can relate a little, on Christmas day my hot water heater went
    Bad and flooded my basement. Of course it happened while we were sleeping, so the pump kept pumping water out covering the whole basement. We spent most of the day pumping it out with shop vacs and airing stuff outside, luckily it was nice and breezy. Tomorrow a crew is coming out to tear up the floor and baseboards.hopefully they only have to tear out the lower 2 ft of drywall to to tear out the wet insulation. Then they have to set up dehumidifiers and run it for a few days. Then it's picking out new flooring, paint color etc. I am so not ready for all this. Depression and making big decisions does not mix well.

Brenda from Md

Ps I'll post my goals tomorrow.
    Welcome new ladies, you're going to love it here.
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Diana – Congrats on the weight loss success! Not easy to do during the holidays!

Patceoh – I love the gift that one of your daughters gave to you. I remember when mine used to create coupons that were good for jobs around the house. I loved those days. Every year the kids ask what I want for Christmas or birthday or whatever. My answer is always the same, “A clean house!” LOL!

Lisa from MN – I so understand you trying to get used to the idea that we are a bit slower now. This afternoon I was doing some exercises for the 60+, whoa! I was huffing and puffing. So just when was it that I stopped loving to exercise? When DH and I got married, I loved it. He used to make fun of me for exercising. He was extremely skinny and I always struggled with my weight. In my 30’s and early 40’s, I was overweight but I was still doing cartwheels with my children in the yard and jumping with my nephews on the trampoline. I don’t like feeling that I can’t do something when it looks like it should be easy to do! (Like that exercise video I did today!) LOL! We will get there! One step at a time!

Thecat – Welcome! We are all here for mutual support. Please tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know one another. I’ve only been here for a couple of months, but I’ve grown to really count on these ladies for support and they haven’t let me down. They are a great group!

Melody – Sounds like you have a plan. You can do this!

Allie – It’s a great time to start. New day, new year, new beginning. We are here to support you. Good luck!

Terri – It’s so hard when we see our family members hurt. Sometimes, it hurts more than if we had been hurt ourselves. It think Barbie is wise to say that “it is what it is!” Sometimes there isn’t a thing we can do about the hurt except stand firm and support. Unfortunately, it’s something we will deal with our entire lives. Better to teach not to hold on to resentment and just roll with the punches. You can do it. Hugs to you!

Wjhankins – I hope that you will find this group really supportive. Please let us know if there is anything we can help with regarding mfp. We are all here for the same reason – to support one another.

Donna – Welcome. It sounds like you are already finding things that will help you accomplish your goal. I love that you are focusing on being healthy and not just on numbers! Good for you!

J – Welcome! I have well over 100 lbs to lose as well. I have been very encouraged to see that several of my friends and group members have accomplished that goal. It makes me feel like I have a chance. I hope you will find this group as supportive as I have.

Tatiana – Welcome! Congratulations on the good habits that you have already made and good luck with those in your future. I hope you will find this group as supportive as I have.

Dorene – Welcome! You have such a positive attitude and you’ve already identified your weaknesses of the past. I think you will do great. This group gives wonderful support.

I want so much to join some of you in your New Year's resolution to spend less time on the computer, but then I wouldn't be able to read all the posts! LOL! I must be a slow reader!
    Wishing everyone much success on the goals they have made for 2015. I know that we can do this together. Thank you all for the support that you give to me and to each other. Together, we can make it happen! We can do this!

Goals for 2015:
    * Continue to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day
    * Do something nice for someone every day, even if it's just to give a compliment
    * Exercise at least 3x/week. Start out slowly and work up gradually
    * Focus on eating healthy one meal at a time/one day at a time

Hugs to all and Happy New Year!

Barb from South Louisiana

• Flowerbaby2
    Flowerbaby2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi all.I consider this year to be the year I am starting to take care of me.I started in Oct and have lost 30 lbs.One of my biggest issues is that I am a nurse and a caretaker by nature.My husband was permanently disabled by cancer when our kids were 3,5,and 11.He was paralyzed for a year ,he was able to walk again but not return to his job .We kept a roof over our head and 1 girl graduated from college,another is going to college and is doing awesome as a manager.My youngest had ADHD and been very difficult.She graduated high school.That was huge but life has been very challenging and I was always trying to direct her toward good decisions and referring with her Dad who also has chemo induced ADHD..It's been time intensive and exhausting.She is expecting a baby in Feb and the father is not being very upright about things.I want to be supportive of my daughter but don't want to loose myself yet again.My goals this year are to show some self care,.I will do that by exercising 6 days a week and eating less.I will not eat my stress.I have bone on bone arthritis which honestly is very painful.I want to start going to water aerobics twice a week.I will be 56 in 19 days and I want to drop back to working 32 hours a week.I want to carve out a place for me.Life is always so darn complicated.I love my husband and kids but if I don't take care of me then I won't be able to take care of them
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    how did my post appear with kunkiuv's name???? All that post above is by me. Basically it is saying I had a satisfying day, house is pretty much ready for Christmas and I got a shower today!!!! Now fingers crossed that this plumbing job tomorrow will work 100%. Tired, 7AM comes early for me.

Brenda, so sorry it happened to you also. I'm just glad we didn't have that much water that everything has to be replaced. Just a apin in the royal patuty. Of course there is the issue of sewage and not being able to run any water in the house that might go down a drain. We can run water, it just has too go into some receptacle that then goes outside and pitched. Good luck. I guess with your damage insurance should help you.

Goodnight, Joyce, indiana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    knjiuv wrote: »
    Welcome to so many new people. To the new ones, I am not one who can remember a lot of names. So please excuse that. Yes, paying for a membership is encouragement to stick to the plan. I am a member of the Y but get it free through Silver Sneakers and I don't go as I should. I think all this was me in the system.

Michelle came over today and she is one mean machine. Charlie and I had already got everything out of the spare bedroom and back in the storage room so that the bedroom could be used. We did some organizing done in the family room got all of our folding chairs out and then we realizes we needed 'the facilities'. So off to the mall we went. Glad it is just a mile away and it is our old mall and only used by mall walkers and doctors offices now. So with that done we were ready to do some more work. Before we went I had kind of laid a lot of emotion on my oldest daughter. I got her all worried. So I texted her after I got home from the mall and told her I was better. And apologized. Then Michelle came over with her carpet cleaner and steamer and got to work. I stayed upstairs and cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, well the things you can do without water. It's amazing how much you can do with a single pot of water and paper towels or a scrubbie. You go outside, throw the water out and start over again. So the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms are done. Tomorrow we will put some resolve on the floor, rub it in and let it sit and then vacuum again. She does this with her dogs all the time to keep the smell out and the carpets clean. Can't cleN the sinks yet but tomorrow afternoon they will be. Dishwasher is already filled. So tomorrow afternoon we will be ready for Christmas!!!! Oh, I went over to Michelle's house and took a shower!!!!! My hair looks good, I feel good, tomorrow I get hugs from grand kids so everything is good with the world. Now if this plumbing fix tomorrow doesn't fix you will find me at our local mental institute and not as a visitor.

Joyce, indiana, the one with clean hair

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,318 Member
    Options
    I am posting a photo of my crumpets as some of you wanted to see them. They were delicious! The ones you buy from the shop have more holes in the top and are more rubbery.
    Probably not a good photo for those of you with New Year resolutions! I only had one with Marmite and no butter. o:)
    DH'S daughter and boyfriend are arriving in half an hour. Nearly ready, just a bit of cutlery to come out of the dishwasher. We haven't met the boyfriend before. Apparently he is a "fussy " eater.! ! ! !

See you later folks!

99mzds06ujju.jpg

Heather, feeling tired, but happy in Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's a rainy day in Georgia here! Good thing is that the temperature is pretty mild.

I want all of you wonderful ladies to know how much I enjoy reading your posts. My life is pretty much the same day-in and day-out. I am a retired teacher and now live on the computer reading and playing games while watching television. Never thought I'd become addicted to "General Hospital" but have become so. My mom is in a nursing home about 60 miles south of Atlanta and I try to go down and visit at least every other week. She has dementia and needed to be in a place where she would eat regularly and take her meds at the correct dosage. I have one adult son and two lovely grandchildren. I mentioned last week that my son intended to go to AA with his alcohol problem. He fell off the wagon NY's day. Hoping he will try again since the holidays are over.

For those of you who have plumbing problems, my heart goes out to you. My DH makes his living as an antique dealer. Once our water heater went out during the night and our basement flooded ruining many of his things. It was a major pain to clean up and take care of the damage.

I lost 20 pounds in 2013 and put 12 of them back on in 2014. My goal is to try to get those 12 pounds off. I need to lose about 20 more additional pounds after that. My mantra is, "I can do this!"

Carol
    Marietta, GA
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not technically overweight, but am at a historical high for me. My body fat percentage is very high. I've been bored, sedentary, and surrounded by food. I've pigged out when I consciously haven't been hungry. The last few days of the year I decided to eat with abandon.

Plan:
    • Go on a Protein Sparing Modified Fast or other Very Low Calorie Diet until my weight is under control. (I am not looking for advice on this. This is what works for me.)
    • Avoid alcohol and sweets if I go off the more rigid eating plan.
    • Perform mild resistance training while on PSMF or VLCD. (Vigorous aerobic exercise is not recommended.)
    • Refrain from judging myself, while understanding that non-judgment is not the same as acceptance. It was the holidays, I overindulged. But I do not accept this upward trend.
    • Bear in mind that my standards are all that matter. If other people around me choose to eat poorly and not exercise (or engaged in behaviors that made them overweight or obese and now unable to exercise), that's them, not me. I am not giving up, nor is it in my interest in any way to do so. A small or moderate problem unchecked can quickly become a big one.
    • Meditate regularly, to work on seeing things as they are, without cloaking them in an exaggerated, negative narrative.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :D Verdenal, you will like the women on this thread. We follow many paths to weight loss, health, and fitness and encourage each other in our chosen plans. No one gives advice unless it is asked for. We have a common goal and encourage and support each other to reach it.

:D Flowerbaby, this is the place for you.....many of our members have challenges and they will share how they've found balance between family and self.

:D Breakfast is finished, gotta wake hubby so he can take the truck for servicing, and the dogs are staring at me.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
    My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :D Verdenal, you will like the women on this thread. We follow many paths to weight loss, health, and fitness and encourage each other in our chosen plans. No one gives advice unless it is asked for. We have a common goal and encourage and support each other to reach it.

Thank you so much. I was a bit defensive based on other encounters on MFP.

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL! :smile: