Baby belly pooch?

Options
It's been about a year since I had my last baby. My pooch (on my tummy) has shrunk quite a bit but now I'm left wondering if it s skin sagging or fat. I really hope it is fat and not skin sagging. Anyone know how to help the skin go back if it is sagging skin rather than fat? Anyone know how to tell? LOL

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    I wish I could find a magic cure for this! I have the same problem. :frown:
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    It's probably loose skin. Most of my stomach is lose skin (fat is in the back!) and just regular toning can help, but depending on how big you got and all that, it won't ever be the same as pre-baby.
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i know mine is sagging skin because i can see muscle when i flex so im sure a bit is probably fat too but ill take it to have my daughter. i just accept it and my sagging tatas as a part of life
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    The thinner I get the worse the skin sags (less fat to support it). I have tried everything on the market....I just figure "hey I got 2 great kids and my stretch marks and extra skin are my badges of motherhood"!! No bikinis in my future but they sure make some nice one piece suits!!
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's probably loose skin. Most of my stomach is lose skin (fat is in the back!) and just regular toning can help, but depending on how big you got and all that, it won't ever be the same as pre-baby.

I gained 85 pounds with my pregnancies...so I got pretty big and I lost most of it in a year. Hopefully it shrinks back a lot more yet.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It gradually shrinks down, but really doesn't completely go away. The skin will shrink, and you can loose a lot of the leftover fat by trimming fat all over your body (it takes from everywhere about evenly, no "spot touching").

But it won't every quite go back to the flat tummy you had pre-baby. Even years later, when I was in great shape, I still had a bit of a pooch. I just remind myself that I earned it with 3 beautiful children and I don't have to have the same body I did before kids. A few minor wardrobe and swimsuit adaptations (slightly higher waistline) and nobody else could tell the difference.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    the tummy that gets so saggy is sometimes loose skin that needs to tighten up
    I am not completely flat in that area as I would like but its getting to be...just keep toning that area up and eating well
    there are things you need to cut out like soy, sugar, and lower your sodium.
    good luck!
  • jjjohns
    jjjohns Posts: 27
    Options
    same problem here! I had my second kid in Aug '09 and still have that lovely pooch. I was all belly with that pregnancy and I think that made it worse! I'm stuck with saggy belly and love handles! I'm slowly getting rid of the love handles - down 2 inches so far this year, but I have a long way to go! Good luck!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Mine is sagging skin... tummy tuck is the cure but I'm not having one. I accept it as is and wouldn't trade it for an unnecessary surgery.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've burned through a lot of my baby pooch by doing a ton of cardio. However, I bent over the other day - looked down and ewww.. I realized that some of what I have left isn't fat --- it is saggy skin. I knew this because of how it looked when I bent over. It looked.. well, "saggy". I did notice that it isn't as "jiggly" as it was before, so I've tightened the muscles up some. But, I figure the saggy skin is going to have to be a battle scar from pregnancy because I doubt without a tummy tuck it'll go completely flat again.
  • Reykur
    Reykur Posts: 18
    Options
    LOL I have the same problem, my brilliant cure is to were gurdle type panties and see if it stays were its suppose to the skin might be able to shrink, my theory is if it sags it cant tighten because its pulling itself down. It seems to be working better than nothing but, I've only been trying it about a week. I realy don't know, but mine was both fat and skin.
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options

I gained 85 pounds with my pregnancies...so I got pretty big and I lost most of it in a year. Hopefully it shrinks back a lot more yet.

I gained 60 with my daughter and 30 with my son. My skin just hangs on my lower tummy. It's the worst area of my body and I work hard but it's still the same. In due time, I hope!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure im going to have the same problem when i lose 60 lbs. i gained about 60 with my daughter and she was over 9 lbs when she was born. I may not ever be able to wear a cute bikin but ill settle for a tankini :) I guess my hubby will just have to deal with the lose jiblets lol
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think most of us moms have the same problem!! It's probably a combination of some fat and some extra skin, you may be one of the lucky ones and it might bounce back or it might not. I've had three kids and have a good amount of extra skin left. I do want to go in for a tummy tuck but only after I get off this extra weight. I say do a lot of cardio and ab work outs and see if that helps. If it doesn't it might not ever go away without surgery. If it doesn't bother you then don't even worry about the surgery but if it does then do what you know will make you feel better about yourself!!!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yeah- I had two 'super-sized' pregnancies, and my lower stomach has a pooch that will never go away- saggy skin. I could have a tummy tuck, but it's just not worth it when I can just dress my body smarter.

Sometimes I sure wish I had those super model genetics!