Milk, Almond Milk, Lactose Free Milk... help!

Options
13»

Replies

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond milk, but I'm not a big milk drinker so I just use it mainly to drink with my protein powder without adding too many calories and to cut the calories of cream in my coffee.
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2% milk like you but for the past few years I have been drinking Silk Vanilla Soy milk and I love it with cereal or in my coffee. It's slightly sweet; not too sweet. I find it doesn't curdle in hot coffee and gives my coffee a slight froth which I like.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, I was originally using Silk Soy, but switched mid-spring. I don't look at the nutrients much, but I know it has more calcium which helps me. I drink the sweetened light.

The problem is that you won't get as much milk as a regular jug will provide. You have to really look at the brands to see which ones you enjoy the taste/consistency.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Almond/Soy Milk
    Almost milk is made from almonds. Soy milk is made from soy beans.
    Pros:
    -Great if you're vegan
    -Sweeter than regular milk
    -Great if you're lactose intolerant
    -Depending on the brand, it may be: lower calorie, lower fat, higher vitamin.
    -You can get it pretty cheap if you buy the cartons that don't require refrigeration

Cons:
    -Does not taste the same as milk.
    -Some brands taste watery. Some taste too sweet.
    -Cannot be used in all baking in place of milk
    -Curdles in hot, milkly acidic coffee

Lactose-Free Milk
    Lactose free milk is cow's milk with the lactase enzyme added, effectively pre-digesting the lactose for you.
    Pros:
    -Great if you're lactose intolerant
    -Tastes exactly the same as regular milk
    -Can be substituted for milk in all baking

Cons:
    -More expensive than regular milk
    -Not vegan
    -Same nutrient profile as regular milk

Thank you for the input. I am the kind of person who has milk and cereal before bed. I was looking for something with a lot of nutrients in it. So lactose free milk is out.

lactose free milk has the *exact* same nutrients are regular milk. if you tolerate milk well, there is no reason to pay the extra money to get it with the lactose altered. if you do not tolerate milk well, this may be a good choice to try.

almond milk is a very poor replacement for cow milk in terms of nutrient profiles. it has its own nutrients, but in no way similar to the cow's milk you're used to. cow's milk can be used as a breast milk substitute at the age of one year, almond milk cannot due to insufficient nutrient profile (particularly protein).

they do make soy milk that has comparable macronutrient profiles. unsweetened unflavoured soy milk is best, brand is a matter of personal opinion.