"Eat to Live" book thoughts?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think he says anyone NEEDS to follow his diet. Like any diet, it's a recommendation for health from one viewpoint.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Eat to live... like you have no life.

No thanks.

I think that's a little harsh.

Not to me. There is no point in that level of exclusion. None whatsoever.

O.K.I understand that. Which is why I found it unsustainable for the long term, we eat too many nuts and avocados (and olive oil) around here to make it work. I don't eat meat or eggs or dairy for ethical reasons, so in my mind my diet isn't restrictive at all, although some people may say it is. I agree that I don't think restriction (within our own eating parameters) is the key to sustainable diet.

I pretty much eat what I want, it just happens that what I want to eat doesn't come from animals.

I don't think that my plant based life is less of a life though. =)

I'm confused, doesn't eat to live encourage avocado and nuts?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you can add meat, it's not a vegetarian plan...

It's not. Really. It's plant based. He actually goes to town on "veganism" and the vegan "agenda" (in one of his books anyway).
    He says if you want to eat fish and meat, do it, but he doesn't believe they are healthy.

It's been a while since I read EtL, but as I recall, there's not much he says "don't eat". But rather a lot of "eat more plants".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Read the review on WebMD

"The Eat to Live diet is a vegetarian, vegan, low-salt, low-fat, and gluten-free (if you avoid grains with gluten) plan. After the first 6 weeks, when some restrictions loosen, you may add animal products in limited amounts, if you like."

Read more at website...

Not for me...

73641431.png
    That's not quite accurate. But then, the webMD review of south beach calls it high protein low carb, which it's not.
    It also ends with "healthy eating can be costly".... wtf?
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I did it once, my whole family did, and I lost 8 lbs in like 13 days. It's hard but you do get a lot of calcium and protein through veggies and fruits. Surprisingly you do eat a lot, since fruits and veggies are low in calorie! Give it a try!! I may actually start it back up now!! Probably wait until March since we have air of celebrations in Jan and Feb!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I did it once, my whole family did, and I lost 8 lbs in like 13 days. It's hard but you do get a lot of calcium and protein through veggies and fruits. Surprisingly you do eat a lot, since fruits and veggies are low in calorie! Give it a try!! I may actually start it back up now!! Probably wait until March since we have air of celebrations in Jan and Feb!
    Why wait. Incorporating celebrations in your lifestyle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

No thanks.

How so?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    jissellc wrote: »
    I'm reading "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman and wanted to know if anyone else read it and their thoughts on it. I got it because I thought I could learn a lot about nutrition from it. Somethings I'm not sure about so far is that he states high protein diets aren't good for you because "diets rich in animal products and low in fruit and unrefined carbohydrates are likely to significantly increase a person's risk of colon cancer". Not sure if this is true? Also I belive his meal plan consists of mainly plants and no meat or dairy for the first few weeks. Not sure if that is good.
    When Fuhrman wrote it, there wasn't as much evidence as now. A 2014 study looked at people over 50 and found 4x more likelihood of dying of cancer in those with high meat protein intakes.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diet-high-in-meat-proteins-raises-cancer-risk-for-middle-aged-people/

No meat or dairy for a few weeks wouldn't hurt you. There are plenty of plant protein sources.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

No thanks.

I think that's a little harsh.

Not to me. There is no point in that level of exclusion. None whatsoever.

O.K.I understand that. Which is why I found it unsustainable for the long term, we eat too many nuts and avocados (and olive oil) around here to make it work. I don't eat meat or eggs or dairy for ethical reasons, so in my mind my diet isn't restrictive at all, although some people may say it is. I agree that I don't think restriction (within our own eating parameters) is the key to sustainable diet.

I pretty much eat what I want, it just happens that what I want to eat doesn't come from animals.

I'm confused, doesn't eat to live encourage avocado and nuts? [/quote

I may have confused it with an 80/10/10 book. I read quite a few books of that ilk a couple years ago. I found 80/10/10 unsustainable.
    And, coffee. Nectar of the Gods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

No thanks.

How so?

Lack of caffeine and alcohol, pointless restrictions. The usual.
    So drink caffeine and alcohol. The thing with eat to live: he makes recommendations. You do them all, you do some of them. Or you do none. It's not really a binary thing.

fwiw, he doesn't say don't drink wine. He says it's not the most healthful choice to make... but whatever.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm confused, doesn't eat to live encourage avocado and nuts?
    I may have confused it with an 80/10/10 book. I read quite a few books of that ilk a couple years ago. I found 80/10/10 unsustainable.
    And, coffee. Nectar of the Gods.
    If memory serves. He talks a lot about the benefits of nuts. And encourages avocado. He's not a big fan of oils and encourages limiting them as he believes they lack nutrients.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I read it a while back, tried it for a few months, but I was really not enjoying what I was eating. I am not much of a meat eater, anyway. Too much fruit was not good for me either...high carb.
    After floundering for over a year and not really making any progress, I stopped logging food and ate with abandon.
    Now, after reading The One, One, One plan, I have finally found my strategy for eating. Having a carb, a protein, and a fat at each meal along with lots of veggies is keeping my macros balanced.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm reading "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman and wanted to know if anyone else read it and their thoughts on it. I got it because I thought I could learn a lot about nutrition from it. Somethings I'm not sure about so far is that he states high protein diets aren't good for you because "diets rich in animal products and low in fruit and unrefined carbohydrates are likely to significantly increase a person's risk of colon cancer". Not sure if this is true? Also I belive his meal plan consists of mainly plants and no meat or dairy for the first few weeks. Not sure if that is good.
    When Fuhrman wrote it, there wasn't as much evidence as now. A 2014 study looked at people over 50 and found 4x more likelihood of dying of cancer in those with high meat protein intakes.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diet-high-in-meat-proteins-raises-cancer-risk-for-middle-aged-people/

No meat or dairy for a few weeks wouldn't hurt you. There are plenty of plant protein sources.

Basically a 400% increase in the likelihood of someone dieing of cancer with a direct causation of that cancer from animal protein and of course nothing to do with any other lifestyle factor, at all.....have I mentioned lately that epidemiology is the weapon of mass confusion. People believe this stuff verbatim, interesting. Information is more often than not confused for knowledge and wisdom.....

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is no need to exclude anything from one's diet short of diagnosed medical issues.

Everybody - every single person - excludes all kinds of foods from their diets.

• WalkingAlong
    Options

Basically a 400% increase in the likelihood of someone dieing of cancer with a direct causation of that cancer from animal protein and of course nothing to do with any other lifestyle factor, at all.....have I mentioned lately that epidemiology is the weapon of mass confusion. People believe this stuff verbatim, interesting. Information is more often than not confused for knowledge and wisdom.....
    I'm not sure why you assume anyone read that as 'causation' or that no one knows how to process information (besides you).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Everyone eats to live. Some just like to live it up better with choices for celebration. And celebration is pretty much a great way to express happiness.
    I wouldn't be happy if I only just ate what is mentioned by the book.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    I don't recall the book saying don't celebrate.
    Didn't state that eating that way COULDN'T be celebratory for those who follow it. I stated it for my own opinion on it. There are definitely cultural foods that I eat that wouldn't fit criteria of the book. And deleting them wouldn't make me happy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Everyone eats to live. Some just like to live it up better with choices for celebration. And celebration is pretty much a great way to express happiness.
    I wouldn't be happy if I only just ate what is mentioned by the book.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I don't recall the book saying don't celebrate.
    Didn't state that eating that way COULDN'T be celebratory for those who follow it. I stated it for my own opinion on it. There are definitely cultural foods that I eat that wouldn't fit criteria of the book. And deleting them wouldn't make me happy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Just "better".
    But regardless I don't think following his approach necessitates that.

For the sake of argument, let's say you're trying to lose, and you're going about your day, you've eaten, say, 2/3 of your calories, you're close to the top of your carb macro...and family calls. Some sort of cultural celebration that involves Mexican food or whatever. What do you do? Do you eat it? Do you not? You make a decision. Either way, it's all good.
  • eatveggies7
    eatveggies7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat to live is great. especially is if you have a lot of weight to lose or have heart disease or diabetes. After my moms heart attack I had her follow the plan about 90% and her heart disease was reversed.
    It is pretty extreme was it's a good way to jump start weight loss and detox