"Eat to Live" book thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Here are his current thoughts on coffee, like any nutritionist he has his own agenda and opinions but it all boils down to the same THING

moderation and the standard nutritional recommendation of one cup per day, which is what I hear out of every professional dr/nutritionists mouth, no different than anyone else, bet he thinks the same on wine and liquor because ANYTHING in excess, coffee, wine, bacon can be bad for your health and that is his ANGLE beyond the plants....

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/does-coffee-have-health-benefits.aspx

I personally find him to be one of the most controversial and informative nutritionists out there today, yes some of his views are extreme it is up to you to decide what to adopt or not, alot of his information is really quite current, standard and very good.

He left out many of the potential positive benefits of coffee consumption eg. Reduced risk of Parkinson's, Alzheimer's Disease, liver and colorectal cancer, depression, increased cognitive function, several large cohort studies suggesting reduced risk of type 2 diabetes. His opinion piece didn't provide a balanced discussion of pros and cons. Like you said, he has his own agenda.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Everyone eats to live. Some just like to live it up better with choices for celebration. And celebration is pretty much a great way to express happiness.
    I wouldn't be happy if I only just ate what is mentioned by the book.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    I don't recall the book saying don't celebrate.
    Didn't state that eating that way COULDN'T be celebratory for those who follow it. I stated it for my own opinion on it. There are definitely cultural foods that I eat that wouldn't fit criteria of the book. And deleting them wouldn't make me happy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Just "better".
    But regardless I don't think following his approach necessitates that.

For the sake of argument, let's say you're trying to lose, and you're going about your day, you've eaten, say, 2/3 of your calories, you're close to the top of your carb macro...and family calls. Some sort of cultural celebration that involves Mexican food or whatever. What do you do? Do you eat it? Do you not? You make a decision. Either way, it's all good.

how would you handle it if you ate 2/3 of your calories? You would go and try to fit it in?

make a salad out of taco toppings?

bring your own food if you have to

you handle it how you have to when your trying to lose weight

how would you handle it if you only had 1/3 calories left and were invited to a taco feast regardless of your food preference?

You can still eat the taco, your not a vegetarian here you would go and eat a taco, and use moderation as usual.

While this was specifically for Niner, who spoke of the role of cultural foods, sure.
    YES, this is probably how you'd do it if you followed "eat to live". You'd make some choices.You might eat a taco salad, you might bring your own food.... You'd make choices. Some folks who follow eat to live, would eat some animal products, be it cheese or meat, some wouldn't. Some would bring their own food, some would know their goals well enough to find something at a Mexican food cultural feast that exactly fit their plan. Some folks would say: heck, it's "just one day" and eat whatever they want. They'd make choices.

Fwiw, my own heritage involves cultural eating, as does my husbands. He's a vegetarian, so he makes some choices. I'm not, but do watch what I eat, so I make some as well.
    And we have a great time.

I *strive* to eat the most nutrient dense diet I can. I think it's a great goal. Not something to bemoan or consider unsustainable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Everyone eats to live. Some just like to live it up better with choices for celebration. And celebration is pretty much a great way to express happiness.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Didn't state that eating that way COULDN'T be celebratory for those who follow it. I stated it for my own opinion on it. There are definitely cultural foods that I eat that wouldn't fit criteria of the book. And deleting them wouldn't make me happy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Just "better".

For the sake of argument, let's say you're trying to lose, and you're going about your day, you've eaten, say, 2/3 of your calories, you're close to the top of your carb macro...and family calls. Some sort of cultural celebration that involves Mexican food or whatever. What do you do? Do you eat it? Do you not? You make a decision. Either way, it's all good.
    The approach from the book would be to select a lower meat laden choice. If it were Mexican, I'd eat a steak (rare) taco salad with the works. Eating a taco salad with no meat isn't a taco salad to me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Here are his current thoughts on coffee, like any nutritionist he has his own agenda and opinions but it all boils down to the same THING

moderation and the standard nutritional recommendation of one cup per day, which is what I hear out of every professional dr/nutritionists mouth, no different than anyone else, bet he thinks the same on wine and liquor because ANYTHING in excess, coffee, wine, bacon can be bad for your health and that is his ANGLE beyond the plants....

I personally find him to be one of the most controversial and informative nutritionists out there today, yes some of his views are extreme it is up to you to decide what to adopt or not, alot of his information is really quite current, standard and very good.

He left out many of the potential positive benefits of coffee consumption eg. Reduced risk of Parkinson's, Alzheimer's Disease, liver and colorectal cancer, depression, increased cognitive function, several large cohort studies suggesting reduced risk of type 2 diabetes. His opinion piece didn't provide a balanced discussion of pros and cons. Like you said, he has his own agenda.

Of course he has an agenda just like Dr Atkins, or Weight Watchers.

EVERYONE touting their views has an agenda, he does NOT say "dont drink coffee"

he says drink it in moderation

we could all list the numerous wonderful things we know that coffee can do, we can list the numerous negative things it can do

be realistic what healthcare professional is going to condone over consumption of coffee?

he, like any other healthcare professional, states enjoy coffee in moderation.

All his other views and opinions on coffee outside of that are irrelevant.

So basically because he did not have an opinion of coffee that you liked, he is wrong and extremist? Even though his professional advice (coffee in moderation) falls in line with what 95% of what most health care professionals would tell you?

be realistic. Separate facts from opinions.

Really? Is that what you read from my post?

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

we could all list the numerous wonderful things we know that coffee can do, we can list the numerous negative things it can do

be realistic what healthcare professional is going to condone over consumption of coffee?

So basically because he did not have an opinion of coffee that you liked, he is wrong and extremist? Even though his professional advice (coffee in moderation) falls in line with what 95% of what most health care professionals would tell you?

The meat and coffee additions to his original text is to sell more books....bigger audience, more cash, simple. Everyone has a price it appears.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Just "better".

The approach from the book would be to select a lower meat laden choice. If it were Mexican, I'd eat a steak (rare) taco salad with the works. Eating a taco salad with no meat isn't a taco salad to me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And again, you make choices. If you chose the meat: one decision that didn't "follow his book" wouldn't negate all the decisions that did. If that *were* the case, there would be no Christians/Catholics out there.
    In fact, his book considers that:
    Many of my patients choose to eat only vegan foods in their home and eat animal products as a treat once a week or so when they are out.

But regardless, it's a general lifestyle choice. You don't like it. Fortunately you don't have to live it.
    Doesn't make it sad or invalid as a choice, just not one that you like.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options

The meat and coffee additions to his original text is to sell more books....bigger audience, more cash, simple. Everyone has a price it appears.

fwiw
    I pulled out the first book.
    Many of my patients choose to eat only vegan foods in their home and eat animal products as a treat once a week or so when they are out.

and
    These individuals should still follow my general recommendations for excellent health and can accommodate their individual needs by keeping animal-product consumption down to comparatively low levels.

were the the first two references to eating meat in the first book.
    Hasn't differed much since then

Fuhrman, Joel (2011-01-05). Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss. Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had about 90 lbs off and stalled for an entire year doing South Beach. So, I read Eat to Live, did the diet (the strict vegan plan) for 6 months, lost about 35 lbs, woke up one day and said, "I can't look at another bean," and quit. It's just so restrictive that I could never do it again. I'm not even sure I could do it if my life depended on it.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    PS, My doctor cut down my cholesterol meds twice while I was doing Eat to Live. It really works for weight loss and cholesterol lowering. It's just so darn restrictive and difficult to do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I had about 90 lbs off and stalled for an entire year doing South Beach. So, I read Eat to Live, did the diet (the strict vegan plan) for 6 months, lost about 35 lbs, woke up one day and said, "I can't look at another bean," and quit. It's just so restrictive that I could never do it again. I'm not even sure I could do it if my life depended on it.

Fabulous loss! Do you find that you still consider some of the principles? I don't think I could be a vegan either, but do like the notion, as you know, of being plant "based".
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

fwiw
    I pulled out the first book.

and
    These individuals should still follow my general recommendations for excellent health and can accommodate their individual needs by keeping animal-product consumption down to comparatively low levels.

were the the first two references to eating meat in the first book.
    Hasn't differed much since then

Fuhrman, Joel (2011-01-05). Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss. Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.
    Thanks, my mistake. He personally doesn't endorse either and had read that it had changed, again thanks.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who tries to follow eat to live. He finds it really time consuming, and difficult, and often falls off the wagon, sometimes for months at a time, swearing that NEXT time he'll get it right.

The food requires lots of prep, and multiple expensive ingredients. So that rules it out for me, personally.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have a family member who tries to follow eat to live. He finds it really time consuming, and difficult, and often falls off the wagon, sometimes for months at a time, swearing that NEXT time he'll get it right.

The food requires lots of prep, and multiple expensive ingredients. So that rules it out for me, personally.

It's a lot of salad. Why would that require any more prep than any other eating style?
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Maybe I dont understand, but he makes a lot of soups. With ground cashews/nutritional yeast, organic spices, and hard to find locally produce. Is that not eat-to-live?

Cuz...even I eat salad FFS.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    edited to add- eating a very large broccoli and fruit salad today for lunch, with shredded quorn ch'kn.