"Eat to Live" book thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Maybe I dont understand, but he makes a lot of soups. With ground cashews/nutritional yeast, organic spices, and hard to find locally produce. Is that not eat-to-live?

Cuz...even I eat salad FFS.

That is eat to live too, sure. A bit more involved than many folks would probably do it. It doesn't have to be any more time consuming than any other eating style that involves a lot of home cooking. And in theory could be less, since Fuhrman advocates eating a lot of the vegetables and fruits raw, and lunch is commonly a big salad.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Maybe I dont understand, but he makes a lot of soups. With ground cashews/nutritional yeast, organic spices, and hard to find locally produce. Is that not eat-to-live?

Yeah, I lose interest when some recipe wants me to soak and puree cashews. I did it once. Not worth the effort and a waste of good nuts!
    On the other hand, I love my nooch!(nutritional yeast)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think the family member I am talking about is trying to make this as difficult as possible. Perfectionism, like if I cant do this JUST SO than I might as well just eat an entire pizza to myself.

Its frustrating. Because I dont have a lot of time OR desire to cook labor intensive meals, and I make simple food at home.

Somehow despite this I lost all the pounds I had to lose, and have been maintaining since July.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Yeah, I lose interest when some recipe wants me to soak and puree cashews. I did it once. Not worth the effort and a waste of good nuts!
    On the other hand, I love my nooch!(nutritional yeast)

I'd lose interest in that recipe as well. But yes, nutritional yeast is great. Nooch. Sounds like Booch, which I also love.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love nooch too! It has this particular flavor, and I do crave it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Everyone eats to live. Some just like to live it up better with choices for celebration. And celebration is pretty much a great way to express happiness.
    I wouldn't be happy if I only just ate what is mentioned by the book.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    I don't recall the book saying don't celebrate.
    Didn't state that eating that way COULDN'T be celebratory for those who follow it. I stated it for my own opinion on it. There are definitely cultural foods that I eat that wouldn't fit criteria of the book. And deleting them wouldn't make me happy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Just "better".
    But regardless I don't think following his approach necessitates that.

For the sake of argument, let's say you're trying to lose, and you're going about your day, you've eaten, say, 2/3 of your calories, you're close to the top of your carb macro...and family calls. Some sort of cultural celebration that involves Mexican food or whatever. What do you do? Do you eat it? Do you not? You make a decision. Either way, it's all good.
    The approach from the book would be to select a lower meat laden choice. If it were Mexican, I'd eat a steak (rare) taco salad with the works. Eating a taco salad with no meat isn't a taco salad to me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And again, you make choices. If you chose the meat: one decision that didn't "follow his book" wouldn't negate all the decisions that did. If that *were* the case, there would be no Christians/Catholics out there.
    In fact, his book considers that:
    Many of my patients choose to eat only vegan foods in their home and eat animal products as a treat once a week or so when they are out.

But regardless, it's a general lifestyle choice. You don't like it. Fortunately you don't have to live it.
    Doesn't make it sad or invalid as a choice, just not one that you like.
    Don't see where I've ever stated it's invalid as a choice for others to embark on if they wish too. OP asked for a view and I gave one as a view of celebration when "partying" with foods that may be restricted by the book. IF one is intending to use this diet as their lifestyle, I think it's legit to look at it objectively since the usually cause of weight regain is indulgence of foods that people restrict or abstain from because they actually like them. If one feels they can abide by the lifestyle with no regrets, then by all means do it. It's statements from people who are on restrictive diets (by choice not because of a medical reason) that usually catch my ear. When they say "I wish I could eat that" while on a restrictive diet, I don't really believe that that approach is always going to be best.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes ma am

And it was an OPINION on coffee I have yet to hear any sound data that supports that coffee can reduce the risk of diabetes and depression..... those are all speculation

it is FACT the too much coffee can deplete your body of calcium stores over time, cause mild arithmias, the jitters, sleep disruptions.....

I would be appalled at any doctor to bring mention of speculation that coffee has been correlated to reduce depression and diabetes, as a depression sufferer and coffee drinker I myself have not had my depression helped by my daily joe, hope its working for someone.

I was very much aware that it was his opinion, but he justified it with some studies, and I was pointing out that he tended to mostly choose studies showing negative effects. There are a number of studies showing positive effects.

I had actually linked some of these studies in my original post, and then I lost the post. It took me quite some time so I just rewrote it without. I would be happy to link again if you would like to have a look at them. For example there is a very large meta-analysis showing reduced risk of diabetes. The depression research is not as convincing.

Ps. BTW, my comments are for the sake of discussion, not argument, so I'll bow out now if you want to argue about differences of opinion. I have better things to do. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Everyone eats to live. Some just like to live it up better with choices for celebration. And celebration is pretty much a great way to express happiness.
    I wouldn't be happy if I only just ate what is mentioned by the book.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I don't recall the book saying don't celebrate.
    Didn't state that eating that way COULDN'T be celebratory for those who follow it. I stated it for my own opinion on it. There are definitely cultural foods that I eat that wouldn't fit criteria of the book. And deleting them wouldn't make me happy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Just "better".
    But regardless I don't think following his approach necessitates that.

For the sake of argument, let's say you're trying to lose, and you're going about your day, you've eaten, say, 2/3 of your calories, you're close to the top of your carb macro...and family calls. Some sort of cultural celebration that involves Mexican food or whatever. What do you do? Do you eat it? Do you not? You make a decision. Either way, it's all good.
    The approach from the book would be to select a lower meat laden choice. If it were Mexican, I'd eat a steak (rare) taco salad with the works. Eating a taco salad with no meat isn't a taco salad to me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And again, you make choices. If you chose the meat: one decision that didn't "follow his book" wouldn't negate all the decisions that did. If that *were* the case, there would be no Christians/Catholics out there.
    In fact, his book considers that:
    Many of my patients choose to eat only vegan foods in their home and eat animal products as a treat once a week or so when they are out.

But regardless, it's a general lifestyle choice. You don't like it. Fortunately you don't have to live it.
    Doesn't make it sad or invalid as a choice, just not one that you like.
    Don't see where I've ever stated it's invalid as a choice for others to embark on if they wish too. OP asked for a view and I gave one as a view of celebration when "partying" with foods that may be restricted by the book. IF one is intending to use this diet as their lifestyle, I think it's legit to look at it objectively since the usually cause of weight regain is indulgence of foods that people restrict or abstain from because they actually like them. If one feels they can abide by the lifestyle with no regrets, then by all means do it. It's statements from people who are on restrictive diets (by choice not because of a medical reason) that usually catch my ear. When they say "I wish I could eat that" while on a restrictive diet, I don't really believe that that approach is always going to be best.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I replied because your OP suggested it was a rather bleak approach. But thank you for clarifying. And again, you're focusing on what folks don't eat, rather than what they do and the benefits they derive from it. Again, evoking a Christian/Catholic metaphor here....

And as I've said: it's a lifestyle, you make choices. Sometimes those choices aren't 100%, nor does the approach ask people to be 100%, it gives folks a goal for more healthful eating... I think your comments also suggest everyone shares the same "tastes" deep down. Some folks don't really like meat, for example. Or store bought pre-packaged pastry like sweets. And some folks just choose not to eat them.

I also often think when people here comment on "eat to live" they're really only looking at the six week plan, rather than the lifetime plan. That's a bit like judging someone's lifestyle by their "cut" periods. (People also do "cuts" for a certain benefit, que no?)
    But to judge someone's lifestyle by their "cut" wouldn't be an objective or fair assessment either.

ps: my in laws are raw food vegans. We have lots of culturally based food celebrations with them.

But thanks for clarifying.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I love nooch too! It has this particular flavor, and I do crave it!
    not quite nutty, not quite savory.... but yum.
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm so not a vegetarian, and I must have my morning coffee! However, I have used the information to change many of the things I eat and how much of what I eat. What now tastes good to me has changed dramatically from before, and my mood and energy levels are much better. I think the point is actually to eat foods with high nutrient value rather than to deny yourself food. Beans and eggs with pico de gallo for breakfast, large salad and handful of nuts for lunch, greens and lean meat for dinner with whatever else sounds good, berry smoothie for late snack. Pretty easy for me to hit all my macros and micros too. I can really tell a difference the day after if I don't follow a high nutrient diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm so not a vegetarian, and I must have my morning coffee! However, I have used the information to change many of the things I eat and how much of what I eat. What now tastes good to me has changed dramatically from before, and my mood and energy levels are much better. I think the point is actually to eat foods with high nutrient value rather than to deny yourself food. Beans and eggs with pico de gallo for breakfast, large salad and handful of nuts for lunch, greens and lean meat for dinner with whatever else sounds good, berry smoothie for late snack. Pretty easy for me to hit all my macros and micros too. I can really tell a difference the day after if I don't follow a high nutrient diet.

Me as well. I *KNOW* when I haven't been eating healthfully.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I read Eat to Live. It was an interesting read. I think it's a useful exercise to spend some time reading and thinking about some of the nutritional opinions that are on the fringe of the US medical community. Obviously you have to keep in mind that most "authors" have an agenda, but in my opinion with a little critical thinking you can still learn something and add to your level of understanding.

What I have taken away from books and documentaries like Eat to Live (or In Defense of Food, which was also fascinating) is a passion for adding a greater variety of fruits and veggies into my everyday diet. I was raised on the SAD diet thinking veggies were the mushy, colorless lump taking up one-quarter of my dinner plate every day. Now the produce section is part of the foundation of what I eat and I love to experiment with new veggies I've never tried and all the different yummy ways to eat them! And hopefully it has contributed to me being healthier. I still eat meat, and fast food, and frozen meals, etc. I just eat them a little less!

Anyway, I am always reading something, so I never think reading anything is a waste of time :).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I read Eat to Live. It was an interesting read. I think it's a useful exercise to spend some time reading and thinking about some of the nutritional opinions that are on the fringe of the US medical community. Obviously you have to keep in mind that most "authors" have an agenda, but in my opinion with a little critical thinking you can still learn something and add to your level of understanding.

What I have taken away from books and documentaries like Eat to Live (or In Defense of Food, which was also fascinating) is a passion for adding a greater variety of fruits and veggies into my everyday diet. I was raised on the SAD diet thinking veggies were the mushy, colorless lump taking up one-quarter of my dinner plate every day. Now the produce section is part of the foundation of what I eat and I love to experiment with new veggies I've never tried and all the different yummy ways to eat them! And hopefully it has contributed to me being healthier. I still eat meat, and fast food, and frozen meals, etc. I just eat them a little less!

Anyway, I am always reading something, so I never think reading anything is a waste of time :).
    Now THAT is a great book.

Another heavy reader... post more, please! :D

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

The fitter and more active I get, the easier and quicker the "you're eating crap" warning light goes off.

Just another reason to add lots of exercise to the weight control regime...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options

It was a great book wasn't it? I love Pollan. I think what resonates for me with ALL the popular "nutrition" books, documentaries and studies and what not can be summed up in his "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

The fitter and more active I get, the easier and quicker the "you're eating crap" warning light goes off.

Just another reason to add lots of exercise to the weight control regime...

Agreed.
  • Laurend224
    Options

In Defense of Food and Omnivores Dilemma were both amazing!
    Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver was great too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Animal Vegetable Miracle? Hmm. Haven't heard of that.

btw, did you see the Pollan family cookbook that recently came out?
  • Laurend224
    Options

Not yet. =) something to look forward to!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Not yet. =) something to look forward to!
    Until I saw it I'd forgotten that Michael J. Fox's wife Tracy is Michael Pollan's sister. It has some nice recipes. http://pollanfamilytable.com