"30 Day Shred" vs. "Ripped In 30", opinions?

Options
I am currently doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (just started on Saturday). So far I love it. I feel challenged, and I'm sore in all the right places. :)

For those of you who have done this one, as well as Ripped In 30, how would you compare the two? It looks like she uses the same basic outline (3 min/strength, 2 min/cardio, 1 min/abs) in both videos. Is Ripped in 30 more challenging? Or about the same, just different?

I'm curious to see your opinions because I'd like to think about whether or not I'll just repeat the 30 Day Shred when I'm done, or move on to the Ripped In 30. :)

Thank you!

Replies

• AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this as well.

Also, I have some questions about 30DS:

1) How heavy were the hand weights you used?
    2) How long before you started noticing a difference? Both in how you ended up looking AND feeling?
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels said in an interview that she thought ripped in 30 was better than the shred if that helps?
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb weights for the 30ds and noticed a difference by day 7 or so Level 1. I was able to do the exercises longer and better. After level 1 there was a definite difference in my shape.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    RI30 has the same 3-2-1 min exercise routine. But instead of 2 exercises, 30 sec/1 min intervall for the strength circuit, you will do 3 exercises for 30 sec each, twice, adding up to 3 minutes strength. This makes it IMO a little easier, as compared to curling and rowing for a full minute each time in 30DS.
    There are 4 levels in RI30. Each is meant to be done for 5-6 days, then rest.
    They use 2 sets of hand weights, one light, one heavier. I'd say, start with 3 lbs and see how you are doing. There are always modifications without weights. Just keep moving and practice form.
    I have done individual circuits RI30 many times, recently completed 30DS.
    In my experience, it's good to have a variety of different weights at hand, so you can switch out quickly, if you need to go lighter or even heavier for some exercises. This way, I made great progress in strength and endurance. Depending on the exercises, I use dumbbells from 5-12 lbs for the workouts.
    As far as results, those are extreme programs, set for a limited time, and only effective with a strict diet. The workouts won't burn as many calories as you might think, while rubbing your sore bits.
    If you want to make this work longterm, don't restrict yourself to just 30 days. Keep going!
    I would not recommend doing more than one of the workouts per day. Work as hard as you can once, then rest your muscles. I found it effective to add a session on my stationary bike on the same day to burn some extra calories, but that was about all my muscles could handle....

Good luck!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    rosestring wrote: »

2) How long before you started noticing a difference? Both in how you ended up looking AND feeling?
    I just started 30 day shred after not working out since February. I am on day 2 level 1 and I alternate between 3-5 lbs currently. Last time I did this I moved up to alternating 5 and 10 lb weights the stronger I became.
  • brimingus
    brimingus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What h7463 said!

And if you're anything like me, I started to get really bored with 30 Day Shred. It whipped my butt into shape, yeah, but then by level 2, I was over it. By day 6 or so, I start getting used to the workout. I don't like doing the levels for 10 days. I like Ripped in 30 because you only do the workouts for 6 days.

I'm sure I could have spiced up the 30 Day Shred by using heavier weights and I may do it again after I finish Ri30 but so far, hands down Ri30 is better and harder.

By the end of Week 1 of 30 Day Shred, I saw toning in my stomach and started to get lines....that's about the only change I saw during 30 Day Shred.

I have results on this thread, page 10: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/743399/5-52-girls-i-want-to-hear-your-story-and-pics#latest

The left is 1 week (7 days) into 30 Day Shred on about September 22 and the right is week 1 of Ripped in 30 on about October 29. I finished 30 Day took a rest day and went right into Ripped in 30.
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    rosestring wrote: »

I use 8 pound weights because that's what I have at home... however, they are too heavy to complete the repetitions so I would recommend something lighter. As for your 2nd question, I just started the program so I'm not seeing my results yet. ;)
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    fatboyliz wrote: »
    Jillian Michaels said in an interview that she thought ripped in 30 was better than the shred if that helps?

Yes that helps. Thank you!
  • AniLandSmiles
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    RI30 has the same 3-2-1 min exercise routine. But instead of 2 exercises, 30 sec/1 min intervall for the strength circuit, you will do 3 exercises for 30 sec each, twice, adding up to 3 minutes strength. This makes it IMO a little easier, as compared to curling and rowing for a full minute each time in 30DS.
    They use 2 sets of hand weights, one light, one heavier. I'd say, start with 3 lbs and see how you are doing. There are always modifications without weights. Just keep moving and practice form.
    In my experience, it's good to have a variety of different weights at hand, so you can switch out quickly, if you need to go lighter or even heavier for some exercises. This way, I made great progress in strength and endurance. Depending on the exercises, I use dumbbells from 5-12 lbs for the workouts.
    As far as results, those are extreme programs, set for a limited time, and only effective with a strict diet. The workouts won't burn as many calories as you might think, while rubbing your sore bits.
    If you want to make this work longterm, don't restrict yourself to just 30 days. Keep going!
    I would not recommend doing more than one of the workouts per day. Work as hard as you can once, then rest your muscles. I found it effective to add a session on my stationary bike on the same day to burn some extra calories, but that was about all my muscles could handle....

Good luck!

Thank you!! So much useful information, thank you all. ;)
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I completed both.. Ripped in 30 has exercises that are more challenging. Also you quickly switch levels so you don't have a chance to get bored. But you also get less of a chance to feel confident with a level, once you get the hang of it, you switch...

On another note, Jillian Michaels is a little bit annoying in Ripped in 30. Trying too hard to be tough or something. So for that reason, I prefer 30 day shred...

I only have 8lb weights, so that's what I use.
  • Pickles175
    Options
    Have any of you done shred it with weights? I was thinking of doing that after ripped.
  • h7463
    Options
    Pickles175 wrote: »
    Have any of you done shred it with weights? I was thinking of doing that after ripped.

Hi! Yes, done it... It's only got 2 circuits, about 25 minutes each, non-stop. You can do it the same way as RI30, 6 days and 1 day rest, repeat as liked, just keep using higher weights as you improve.
    The workouts are done with either 1 dumbbell or one light (!!!!) kettlebell. I'm using !!!! here, because it's not a classic kettlebell workout, but a weight/cardio circuit. Using the classic heavy kettlbells for the swings and other exercises that she does, would be too hard.
    I started out with a 8 lbs kettlbell, and progressed slowly to 10-12-15. I got the kettlebells on sale at a local sporting goods store, and I prefer the single kettlebells to the adjustable kind. For me, it's important to make a quick switch to a lighter or heavier one, depending on the exercise. All about improving, right...
    If you are not sure about the correct form of the exercises, there are many videos on youtube about how to 'swing' correctly.

Have fun!
  • Pickles175
    Options

Hi! Yes, done it... It's only got 2 circuits, about 25 minutes each, non-stop. You can do it the same way as RI30, 6 days and 1 day rest, repeat as liked, just keep using higher weights as you improve.
    The workouts are done with either 1 dumbbell or one light (!!!!) kettlebell. I'm using !!!! here, because it's not a classic kettlebell workout, but a weight/cardio circuit. Using the classic heavy kettlbells for the swings and other exercises that she does, would be too hard.
    I started out with a 8 lbs kettlbell, and progressed slowly to 10-12-15. I got the kettlebells on sale at a local sporting goods store, and I prefer the single kettlebells to the adjustable kind. For me, it's important to make a quick switch to a lighter or heavier one, depending on the exercise. All about improving, right...
    If you are not sure about the correct form of the exercises, there are many videos on youtube about how to 'swing' correctly.

Have fun!

h7463, Thanks for the answer! I have not done any strength training other than using weights in Jillian's workouts. Do you find you need to have a certain "level" of strength expertise to do the workout or do you think beginners would survive just fine?
  • h7463
    edited November 2014
    Options

Have fun!

h7463, Thanks for the answer! I have not done any strength training other than using weights in Jillian's workouts. Do you find you need to have a certain "level" of strength expertise to do the workout or do you think beginners would survive just fine?
    There are modifications with and without weights, and you can even use a water bottle, if you don't have any hand weights. Practice good form and just go for it!
    I started this one with an injured calf muscle. I just skipped the cardio moves at the time, and I still did ok. You can always make it as hard or light as you need it.
    Good luck!

PS...try not to hit the TV or the ceiling fan in the process....don't ask.... =)
  • Pickles175
    Options

Have fun!

There are modifications with and without weights, and you can even use a water bottle, if you don't have any hand weights. Practice good form and just go for it!
    I started this one with an injured calf muscle. I just skipped the cardio moves at the time, and I still did ok. You can always make it as hard or light as you need it.
    Good luck!

PS...try not to hit the TV or the ceiling fan in the process....don't ask.... =)

Lol, thanks! I have handweights by no kettlebell. I can just picture me swinging it and it going flying!

• NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you're really frugal (like me), a can of diced tomatoes weighs almost exactly 1 pound. I started out with two cans of tomatoes then hit up thrift stores to find 2, 3, and 4 pound weights. I made it two and a half times through 30DS this summer, and am starting over again with the 2# weights today.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I haven't use either of the DVDs as a "program" so to speak-- I just use them to sneak in a good work out at home a few times a week. That said, I'm partial to the 30DS. I'm fairly in shape but still cannot do some of the more awkward positions of ripped in 30 (hate side planks... hurts my shoulder/wrist). The 30DS also has more cardio/ gets my HR higher... Ripped in 30 only makes my muscles hurt. I don't mind the repetitiveness of 30DS, as I use my work out time to "zone out" anyway.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've done both and I liked Ripped in 30 better. I did it right after 30 Day Shred, which made level 1 way too easy after coming off level 3 in 30DS. But she made up for that in the next 3 levels. I like that she has you do 3 strength moves in RI30 rather than 2 like in 30DS. I feel like I got better results with RI30. I'm getting waaaaay better results with Body Revolution though.

I also really like her No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I alternated those for a few weeks and I felt amazing.
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Thank you for all of your input! I just came across this and I'm excited to try both of them :) Do you use any other workout videos?