sugar addiction

Options
Hi, 43 yr old mom of 2 babies (18mth and 3mth) and I am really struggling with a sugar addiction. I've had this problem all of my life and have been 50 lbs over weight most of my adulthood. I really want to get healthy to keep up with my kids but the cravings are a killer. Any suggestions?

Replies

• humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I AM WITH YOU ON THIS!!!! Sorry. excitement. Anywho... I've realized the only way to deal with sugar addiction is to eliminate it completely. None of that thinking "well, it's new years...ill treat myself to ONE cupcake" etc. Problem with this thinking is that there's ALWAYS something to celebrate. It's a negative way of thinking. Maybe when you set out if you KNOW you are going to go out for dinner for your birthday, allow THAT to be your one plurge if you need it. OR better, to find alternatives. I find most of the times im wanting sugar is when im bored or stress eating, not when im hungry. Put a note on your fridge-- and cabinets--- "am i hungry?" learn to ask yourself that before you eat!
    feel free to add me! :o)
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Likewise.The only way I could beat it was to go Keto.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction?? Like rummaging in the trash bin for your next lollipop fix? :huh:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I like to start with a short period of abstinence (a week or two), then reintroduce in small amounts. Vigorous exercise helps control the cravings, as does a higher protein/lower carb diet. When I am PMSing, I generally allow myself more calories but zero sweets. When cravings are not strong, the reason I try to have some treats is because, frankly, I LOVE sugar, and I find myself overdoing it when I do ultimately "fall off the wagon" because I feel like I am "owed", or have been deprived. Good luck!
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Calorie free sweeteners? makes coffees/teas sweet and makes me forget about my sugar cravings :)
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    sweeteners are good, but getting off refined sugars and getting more sugar from natural sources (basically fruit) is also a huge step forward. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries - God's candy!
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ...isn't a real thing...
  • Rawrsy
    Rawrsy Posts: 1
    Options
    EmoJew wrote: »
    ...isn't a real thing...

Haha. Yes it is a real thing. It's biochemistry my friend.

Maybe try nakd chocolate bars or similiar as a treat every so often. I also found that drinking green tea helps curb cravings? I'm not sure if that's just me though.
  • xxmandy101xx
    Options
    Completely dreading going off sugar but it's the only way because chocolate is my ultimate weakness and if I had one bit I wouldn't be able to control ah sure what's another bit and so on moral of the story I'm weak so best eliminate I find chewing sugar free gum and drinking water helps keep the mouth busy;-)
  • jennat007
    jennat007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips. I'm doing the water thing and trying distractions, I have the same problem with chocolate, 1 bit leads to a binge. Think I may need a psychologist.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sigh ...do I even want to ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - unless you are rummaging through a dumpster to get your sugar fix or eating spoons of sugar out of a bowl, you are not addicted to sugar. Do you have some self control issues with certain foods, perhaps...
    -
    My suggestion - create a calorie deficit, try to eat the foods that you like (yes, I mean some ice cream, cookies, etc), get a food scale and weigh log measure everything that you eat. Foods are not "good" or "bad" they are just food that your body uses for energy. Try to make better choices and maintain your calorie deficit.

you can lose 50 pounds and eat sugar...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ellisboyd1 wrote: »
    sweeteners are good, but getting off refined sugars and getting more sugar from natural sources (basically fruit) is also a huge step forward. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries - God's candy!

wait - one form of sugar is superior to another, really?
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No heck no.. back away quickly.... please... :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

too late, I am already in ....
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif
  • OCcubanita
    OCcubanita Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try The Belly Fat Cure this time around. It limits your sugars and carbs but not completely. The reviews for it have been mostly positive. I think it's worth checking out.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

too late, I am already in ....
    ugh here we go... yet again... in all the time you have been on here how many of these would you say start every month at least 4?

• slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    This topic caught my eye, because i am currently on Day 2 of a 10 Day "no sugar" challenge.... just for me, and not permanent, I love my sugar tooooooo much!!! But rather this than gaining back 10kg before I hit the breaks. It is hard, I must be honest. But going cold turkey for me, just to bring things back into perspective is key. No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc. Had to do something, because every day I would have 3 tinkies (twinkies), ice cream, cookies with my coffee. Things got waaaaay out of hand. :s

Good luck. Be strong. You will find a balance.
This discussion has been closed.