sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    How odd that at this point this has turned into two posters against it being an addiction arguing why those studies don't prove anything.

I wasn't arguing that the studies didn't prove anything... I was stating that it wasn't current research.
    duty_calls.png

Seriously?

That was a joke that we were relatively splitting hairs on a discussion we overall agreed upon and the general banality of things that end up being disputed on an internet discussion. Perhaps if I would have put those two together in one post it would have made more sense. I was making fun of the situation.

I guess reading it as two different posts I didn't get the joke- my bad. It's been a very long week.

It's not your fault, my humor is a bit dry and I don't use many emojis... I'm old. ;)

I promise I won't derail anymore- But you gotta get on the emoji train dude! :)
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What kind of sugar stuff are you addicted to? Sweet stuff like cakes and cookies? Soda? Desserts? I was hooked on drinking only juice, milk and soda. I like to drink Kombucha now instead of soda. Can you sub fruits for sweets? For chocolate sweets I just found these Go Raw chocolate coconut crisps. Really tasty. They are now going to be my sweet fix.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    slimbettie wrote: »
    I do eat fruit. Fruit does not have "added" sugars. :)

It is only 10 days to get me back on track and away from the cakes....

oh so added sugar is worse than natural sugar…totally legit argument..

you realize your body has no way to distinguish between the two, right? Because they are all the same at the molecular level...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

If you don't even understand the problem the woman is dealing with, why bother to reply. As it is your advice of no use whatsoever.
    Patttience wrote: »
    "OP - unless you are rummaging through a dumpster to get your sugar fix or eating spoons of sugar out of a bowl, you are not addicted to sugar. Do you have some self control issues with certain foods, perhaps...
    -
    My suggestion - create a calorie deficit, try to eat the foods that you like (yes, I mean some ice cream, cookies, etc), get a food scale and weigh log measure everything that you eat. Foods are not "good" or "bad" they are just food that your body uses for energy. Try to make better choices and maintain your calorie deficit.

you can lose 50 pounds and eat sugar…"

If you don't even understand the problem the woman is dealing with, why bother to reply. As it is your advice of no use whatsoever.

OK - find me the case study of the person that eats bowls of sugar by the spoonful or goes rummaging through a dumpster to get their "sugar fix" and I will re-consider my position ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - unless you are rummaging through a dumpster to get your sugar fix or eating spoons of sugar out of a bowl, you are not addicted to sugar. Do you have some self control issues with certain foods, perhaps...
    -
    My suggestion - create a calorie deficit, try to eat the foods that you like (yes, I mean some ice cream, cookies, etc), get a food scale and weigh log measure everything that you eat. Foods are not "good" or "bad" they are just food that your body uses for energy (or for tissue repair, muscle growth, to maintain bones, to prevent cancer or disease, or to protect vision, the cardiovascular system, the nervous system, the brain....) Try to make better choices (based on what?) and maintain your calorie deficit.

you can lose 50 pounds and eat sugar...

Italics in above mine.

As someone who has gone through the garbage can to eat sugary treats, yes - sugar activates reward pathways similar to how drugs do. Individual responses to addictive substances vary, however. Some people are more likely to become alcoholic, some are more vulnerable to opiate addiction, and sugar addiction varies from person to person. None deserve judgement. Blame does not help anyone manage their weight.

As the OP is asking for help overcoming sugar addiction, not to be advised on the state of her willpower, this is my perspective:
    • Make sure you are hitting your macro and micronutrient goals. Dairy cravings have destroyed several of my diets - pica is a thing, eating smart works better than willpower
    • Especially be sure you are getting enough protein. Try for .8g per kg of body weight. MFP recommendations may be too low. Protein will help you feel more satisfied, and may help you to feel fuller longer.
    • Don't set yourself up for failure. I eat before I take my kids to the food court. It's easier to say no to ice cream if I'm already full.
    • Don't try for too high a deficit and eat back some of your exercise calories
    • Make sure to get enough sleep
    • Consiously try to change bad habits and eliminate mindless munching. Or, replace go-to snacks with something lower calorie (i.e. celery and carrot sticks instead of a bag of M&Ms)
    • Exercise. When the cravings hit, take a walk instead of eating. Intense exercise can help lower hunger. It may also retrain taste to prefer lower-calorie foods.
    • Some people mistake hunger for thirst. Try having a glass of water before indulging.
    • Eating meals at regular times may help with cravings
    • Cravings can be hormonal. Sometimes you just have to ride it out for a few days, and then things get better.
    • Chose to include sweets, but just one at the end of the day. Have them come packaged in in single servings (i.e. one pudding cup, not a bag of cookies).
    • If it
    is emotional, wait it out. It may be healthier to feel the bad feelings, and talk/write yourself through them, than to eat them away.

Try one change, give it a while (21 days for a new habit) to see if it works, then try another. Eventually you will find out what works for you. Good luck :smile:

IF you really had to rummage through the trash for sugar, for your sugar fix, and you really think that sugar is addictive why are you advocating that OP eat sugar? That is like telling a crack head that it is OK to smoke crack once a month….
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes some peoples brains fall out.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Never been an addict of anything myself. But I have heard that being an addict is like having a love affair...it is the first thing you think of when you wake up and the last thing when you go to sleep....

Yeah… when a person is addicted to drugs or alcohol.

Applies to all addictions.

"Denial is a core symptom of codependency and addiction. We have a distorted relationship to reality — often acting against our best interests. Addicts and codependents use denial to continue addictive behavior."

There is a reason you care if OP wants to give up sugar or not. Something you're hooked on is being questioned and that offends you.

Yeah I care because it is a very well-known theory that when a person gives something up, they are more likely to binge on it… which is why most are advising the OP to not give up sugar, but instead learn moderation.

Yes, like when vegans binge on meat and people with peanut allergies can't stop eating Snickers bars.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with sugar too. I like the idea of incorporating regular small treats into my diet so that there is no pent up desire. Less reason to binge in the future. Still experimenting with this though. I have been putting sugar in my coffee or tea when I feel like I want something sweet. Minimal calorie damage, and it hasn't triggered any urges so far. Very successful I would say. I tried today to have a pudding cup. Less calories than my greek yogurt, I thought. Only my carb macro was low and I had calories to spare. No reason not to. Except that those familiar urges were right back. I wanted to eat the rest of them. I had even turned toward the fridge before I caught myself. If I weigh out the pleasure I got from eating the pudding cup with the discomfort of having to fight cravings afterward I would say it was close to a wash. I considered tossing the rest, but instead I'm going to wait a couple of days and try again. Perhaps this time just before bed, as another poster suggested. I liked the suggestion to just have certain problem treats at a restaurant. Going to try that with the love of my life, cake. Good luck to all of you struggling with sugar and sweet treats. Hope you can disregard the raging debate here and pop into the forums with suggestions or progress.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    Never been an addict of anything myself. But I have heard that being an addict is like having a love affair...it is the first thing you think of when you wake up and the last thing when you go to sleep....

"Denial is a core symptom of codependency and addiction. We have a distorted relationship to reality — often acting against our best interests. Addicts and codependents use denial to continue addictive behavior."

There is a reason you care if OP wants to give up sugar or not. Something you're hooked on is being questioned and that offends you.

Yeah I care because it is a very well-known theory that when a person gives something up, they are more likely to binge on it… which is why most are advising the OP to not give up sugar, but instead learn moderation.

Yes, like when vegans binge on meat and people with peanut allergies can't stop eating Snickers bars.
    Not sure if serious. Vegans can binge on meat and do, people with peanut allergies, not so much because it can be life threatening .

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes some peoples brains fall out.

Lol
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

Thanks for the link- I have some reading to do :)

It filled in a few gaps for me (being of non-science background though). I think understanding the real basis of a problem is better to solve it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Many people who claim to be vegan aren't actually vegan so yeah, they can/do binge on meat.

Who in their right mind would eat a Snickers bar if they are allergic to peanuts? Especially if they have an anaphylaxis reaction.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options

you realize your body has no way to distinguish between the two, right? Because they are all the same at the molecular level...

She did say it was her personal challenge - not a medical or scientific study or being done for a medical or scientific reason.

People give up added sugar or chocolate or similar short term for various personal reasons - I give up chocolate for 6 weeks every year.
    I do not pretend this applies to anyone else or has any medical or scientific validity - and neither was that poster.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    OP - unless you are rummaging through a dumpster to get your sugar fix or eating spoons of sugar out of a bowl, you are not addicted to sugar. Do you have some self control issues with certain foods, perhaps...
    -
    My suggestion - create a calorie deficit, try to eat the foods that you like (yes, I mean some ice cream, cookies, etc), get a food scale and weigh log measure everything that you eat. Foods are not "good" or "bad" they are just food that your body uses for energy (or for tissue repair, muscle growth, to maintain bones, to prevent cancer or disease, or to protect vision, the cardiovascular system, the nervous system, the brain....) Try to make better choices (based on what?) and maintain your calorie deficit.

you can lose 50 pounds and eat sugar...

Italics in above mine.

As someone who has gone through the garbage can to eat sugary treats, yes - sugar activates reward pathways similar to how drugs do. Individual responses to addictive substances vary, however. Some people are more likely to become alcoholic, some are more vulnerable to opiate addiction, and sugar addiction varies from person to person. None deserve judgement. Blame does not help anyone manage their weight.

As the OP is asking for help overcoming sugar addiction, not to be advised on the state of her willpower, this is my perspective:
    • Make sure you are hitting your macro and micronutrient goals. Dairy cravings have destroyed several of my diets - pica is a thing, eating smart works better than willpower
    • Especially be sure you are getting enough protein. Try for .8g per kg of body weight. MFP recommendations may be too low. Protein will help you feel more satisfied, and may help you to feel fuller longer.
    • Don't set yourself up for failure. I eat before I take my kids to the food court. It's easier to say no to ice cream if I'm already full.
    • Don't try for too high a deficit and eat back some of your exercise calories
    • Make sure to get enough sleep
    • Consiously try to change bad habits and eliminate mindless munching. Or, replace go-to snacks with something lower calorie (i.e. celery and carrot sticks instead of a bag of M&Ms)
    • Exercise. When the cravings hit, take a walk instead of eating. Intense exercise can help lower hunger. It may also retrain taste to prefer lower-calorie foods.
    • Some people mistake hunger for thirst. Try having a glass of water before indulging.
    • Eating meals at regular times may help with cravings
    • Cravings can be hormonal. Sometimes you just have to ride it out for a few days, and then things get better.
    • Chose to include sweets, but just one at the end of the day. Have them come packaged in in single servings (i.e. one pudding cup, not a bag of cookies).
    • If it is emotional, wait it out. It may be healthier to feel the bad feelings, and talk/write yourself through them, than to eat them away.

Try one change, give it a while (21 days for a new habit) to see if it works, then try another. Eventually you will find out what works for you. Good luck :smile:

IF you really had to rummage through the trash for sugar, for your sugar fix, and you really think that sugar is addictive why are you advocating that OP eat sugar? That is like telling a crack head that it is OK to smoke crack once a month….

I have indeed rummaged through garbage cans for sugary treats. I had to do the Sex in the City thing, pouring dish soap over the treat, to discourage myself from eating it. Soap really tastes bad, and lingers in the mouth. I'm far from the only person I know who has done this. Is it because you are male that you are having problems understanding this (i.e. never been pregnant, no monthlies)? If you have never had food cravings, I'm happy for you. Please try to have some sympathy for those of us who have.

Harm reduction is a strategy used in addressing addictions.
    http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/about_camh/influencing_public_policy/public_policy_submissions/harm_reduction/Pages/harmreductionbackground.aspx

One harm reduction method is for heroin users to switch to methadone. The heroin had biochemically altered their brains so that they cannot be calm without opiates. Opiates are the cause of the disease and the treatment in this case. The use of methadone may allow some people to lead relatively normal lives, have stable housing, and keep their jobs.

It is possible to severely reduce added sugars while keeping some natural sugars. Doing this for a time can help retrain one's sense of taste so that the natural sweetness of lower-calorie foods is better appreciated.

The advantage of sugars from a natural source is that the serving size is lower. A 130 g apple, for example, has 13 grams of sugar (about 10 from fructose), whereas a can of Dr. Pepper has 38 grams of sugar, (21 from fructose) The Dr. Pepper has over 3x the amount of sugar as the apple, and none of the protective effect of the 3 grams of fiber the apple also has. The apple has polyphenols and micronutrients that protect against the damage that is associated with high-fructose consumption. Because of the fiber, the apple is digestly proportionately more slowly than the Dr. Pepper, leaving the dieter with more satisfaction per calorie consumed. There is a smaller glucose spike as the energy is released to the body at a rate that more closely matches the rate that it is burned by the body, so less is stored. Cravings are reduced when blood sugar levels are kept stable. The higher percentage of fructose in (most) fruit makes them more satisfying for a longer period of time than the 45:55 gluctose-fructose ratio in HFCS and 50:50 ratio of glucose to fructose in sucrose.

As I said in another post, sugar is hard to avoid, and some extremely healthy food contains it (i.e. spinach). Trying to completely eliminate it seems both unhealthy and impractical. A harm reduction approach has been shown to do just that, reduce harm, and allow people to recover from or manage their issues (whether or not they chose to refer to them as addictions). So, when trying to get through cravings
    • Cut back
    • Have a crisis plan
    • Identify and avoid triggers when possible
    • Seek out social support
    • Contact Dr. when appropriate (see PCOS post)
    • Use distractions as appropriate (exercise, water, getting out of the house)
    • Say "Yes, but later"
    • Chose a "least harm" alternative (lower calorie snack, small amount of satisfying snack)
    • Sometimes you just have to ride out the discomfort
    • Celebrate success
    • Otherwise stay heathy as possible (macros/micros, sleep)

Yup, the approach is a lot like what people would use for other addictions....
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my kryptonite. If I plan for it, I'm good. Unplanned sugary foods are always an immediate downward spiral that take me on a 2-3 day binge and a 2-3 week physical and mental recovery. Funny how it works..planned, I'm ok. Unplanned...not ok.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've taken added sugar out of the equation. I don't have a sweet tooth as such, but I do have a chocolate addiction (for want of a better word). I have had to get that out of my diet, because I have no "off button" with it. I have diet lemonade and artificially sweetened hot chocolate to help with cravings. Some people don't agree with artificial sweetners, but I have found that they worked for me in the past, so if I can reduce my calories that way and still satisfy my craving I am OK with that.
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Maybe you are too self-forgiving. Not meeting simple goals (weight, gains, diet ..) seriously affects my confidence ("Other people can do it, why not me?").

In other words, when I miss a workout it's not just a "oh well, can't be helped" matter in my head, it's more like "you stupid looser, can't even fit a 45 min routine into a normal day".

You should not consider sugar an addition. That just makes it easier to justify it. Millions of other people have excluded all added sugars from their diets, so you can too.

But as the hodgetwins would say: "It's just advice man. Do the *** you want to do" :)
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options

She did say it was her personal challenge - not a medical or scientific study or being done for a medical or scientific reason.

People give up added sugar or chocolate or similar short term for various personal reasons - I give up chocolate for 6 weeks every year.
    I do not pretend this applies to anyone else or has any medical or scientific validity - and neither was that poster.

Thank you paperpudding. Perfectly said
  • chickenrun18
    Options
    I have just embarked on the British Heart Foundation guide to healthy eating and have purchased a diet plate in the hope that the balanced diet will keep my cravings in check!
    Good luck everyone with your varying coping mechanisms xx
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    LutzMol wrote: »
    Maybe you are too self-forgiving. Not meeting simple goals (weight, gains, diet ..) seriously affects my confidence ("Other people can do it, why not me?").

In other words, when I miss a workout it's not just a "oh well, can't be helped" matter in my head, it's more like "you stupid looser, can't even fit a 45 min routine into a normal day".

You should not consider sugar an addition. That just makes it easier to justify it. Millions of other people have excluded all added sugars from their diets, so you can too.

But as the hodgetwins would say: "It's just advice man. Do the *** you want to do" :)

You do get that most of the people in this thread who are describing sugar as an addiction have reduced their sugar intake, or eliminated added sugars? They aren't saying "it's an addiction so I'll keep eating it," they are saying "it gives me cravings, and I find I am more successful when I avoid it. These are the strategies that worked for me."

You may want to try to be kinder to yourself. Treating people badly (including yourself) does not make them better people. It is possible to have missed a day of workout (especially during the holidays) without being a "loser". Positive reinforcement works :smile:
This discussion has been closed.