Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    general observation..it is funny how the majority of the sugar addiction folks are also yo yo dieters….

Instead of restricting foods and viewing them as "evil" you could get on a long term and sustainable path to weight loss where you eat all foods moderately, enjoy them, and lose weight.

The problem is that sugar has become a "crutch" so that it can be blamed for the reason as to why X diet fails.

General observation...it is funny how the majority of sugar defenders are abusive and insulting (and recompers with a higher amount of discretionary calories). Does sugar make people mean? Too bad the OPs are asking for helpful advice, not mocking comments.

I don't see where @ndj1979‌ was abusive or insulting?

The forums aren't for the thin-skinned and weak-hearted. People will ask for peer-reviewed sources to back-up your claims. People will question you. People will debate with you. They do this because people don't want the forums full of incorrect information. They do this because they have been here for a long time. They know what causes people to fail and what causes people to succeed. People don't sugar coat here; they tell it like it is. If you think that is abusive and insulting, so be it…
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    general observation..it is funny how the majority of the sugar addiction folks are also yo yo dieters….

Instead of restricting foods and viewing them as "evil" you could get on a long term and sustainable path to weight loss where you eat all foods moderately, enjoy them, and lose weight.

The problem is that sugar has become a "crutch" so that it can be blamed for the reason as to why X diet fails.

General observation...it is funny how the majority of sugar defenders are abusive and insulting (and recompers with a higher amount of discretionary calories). Does sugar make people mean? Too bad the OPs are asking for helpful advice, not mocking comments.

you are an obvious troll who does not understand nutrition or health.

end discussion/
  • ndj1979
    Options

please find where I was abusive or insulting….

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    slimbettie wrote: »
    I do eat fruit. Fruit does not have "added" sugars. :)

It is only 10 days to get me back on track and away from the cakes....

oh so added sugar is worse than natural sugar…totally legit argument..

you realize your body has no way to distinguish between the two, right? Because they are all the same at the molecular level...

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/37385
    Glucose and fructose are differently at a molecular level, and act differently in the body.

And both glucose and fructose can be added sugar or natural sugar. The simple fact is that added glucose is digested exactly the same as naturally occurring glucose, the body doesn't recognize the source, just the chemical.

Again, rather than learn something, you insist on building a strawman to disprove a point that wasn't actually made.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    end discussion/

Uh oh, is that the final word? If you say so Captain. Aye Aye Matey.

aww look a white knight riding to the rescue..

i think we have bingo.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Y
    OP - unless you are rummaging through a dumpster to get your sugar fix or eating spoons of sugar out of a bowl, you are not addicted to sugar. Do you have some self control issues with certain foods, perhaps...
    -
    My suggestion - create a calorie deficit, try to eat the foods that you like (yes, I mean some ice cream, cookies, etc), get a food scale and weigh log measure everything that you eat. Foods are not "good" or "bad" they are just food that your body uses for energy. Try to make better choices and maintain your calorie deficit.

you can lose 50 pounds and eat sugar...

This sooooo much this…I did...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    end discussion/

Uh oh, is that the final word? If you say so Captain. Aye Aye Matey.

aww look a white knight riding to the rescue..

i think we have bingo.

I thought you send the discussion had ended Captain?

I changed my mind when you rode in on your white horse
  • RogueinSF
    Options
    Hey, there, I hear you. I am three days off sugar and it is tough but likely worth the withdrawals I am having. I am 43 as well and have had serious issues with sugar--I started my morning with hot chocolate not coffee, so there you go. I know it is controversial to say it is addictive, but I believe it absolutely is, as I am sitting here my body is in major crave mode, similar to when I quit smoking--not the same, but similar in strength. Anyway, I prepared myself mentally for a week or two reading up on the effects of sugar on ones health and it was motivating. This is a video I like that speaks to the the difference in the way one processes fructose (which is processed like alcohol in your liver and can't be used as energy, though the fiber in fruit does make a difference) and glucose which your body can use as energy: http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

The other thing I have done is replace my sugar "treat" foods with savory foods I like. Mine is sushi. When I want a cookie I get sushi, a chocolate bar I get sushi. Sometimes low-sugar fruits like raspberries and grapefruits help, but I stay away from super sweet things like bananas that I feel like will make my cravings stronger.

Good luck to you (and me)!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Rawrsy wrote: »
    EmoJew wrote: »
    ...isn't a real thing...

Haha. Yes it is a real thing. It's biochemistry my friend.

Maybe try nakd chocolate bars or similiar as a treat every so often. I also found that drinking green tea helps curb cravings? I'm not sure if that's just me though.
    Define "real" because I find that anytime I "crave" sugar, it is mostly psychological, there is no physical "addiction", be honest. If you feel so "addicted" then learn to eat something else when you think you have to have sugar, like a quest bar for example. Seriously, I have never seen any science that says it is a physical addiction. I quit smoking cigarettes 10 years ago, which was a physical addiction, but I even beat that in 2 weeks. Learn not to give in to your every little desire, if you really want it, make yourself work for it and earn those calories first. If you can't have some self-control, they you will stay obese your whole life. There are no shortcuts and there are no magic bullets, if you don't have the self control to eat sugar and stay within your calories for the day, don't diss the people who do.

• amkingston
    Options
    Try to eat protein with every meal. Especially if you are having ANY carbs/sugar. It'll help satiate you longer.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Oh geez here comes LOLstig to the rescue
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RogueinSF wrote: »
    Hey, there, I hear you. I am three days off sugar and it is tough but likely worth the withdrawals I am having. I am 43 as well and have had serious issues with sugar--I started my morning with hot chocolate not coffee, so there you go. I know it is controversial to say it is addictive, but I believe it absolutely is, as I am sitting here my body is in major crave mode, similar to when I quit smoking--not the same, but similar in strength. Anyway, I prepared myself mentally for a week or two reading up on the effects of sugar on ones health and it was motivating. This is a video I like that speaks to the the difference in the way one processes fructose (which is processed like alcohol in your liver and can't be used as energy, though the fiber in fruit does make a difference) and glucose which your body can use as energy: http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

The other thing I have done is replace my sugar "treat" foods with savory foods I like. Mine is sushi. When I want a cookie I get sushi, a chocolate bar I get sushi. Sometimes low-sugar fruits like raspberries and grapefruits help, but I stay away from super sweet things like bananas that I feel like will make my cravings stronger.

Good luck to you (and me)!

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

I'm sorry if you "like" that video, but it's been pretty thoroughly debunked, many times over. It's just scare tactics, and the conclusions are false.

Oh, and sushi rice is made with sugar.
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have no science to back this up, I just find natural sugars to be non-addictive and less damaging than refined sugar added to cakes,tea and certain yogurts. I've also read articles, doctors saying they don't count natural sugars like those in milk and fruit.

after eating a lot of chocolate (like xmas time) my cravings take 10-14 days to die down. If I eat just a little chocolate the cravings come back, but only for 1-2 days. I have no science to back this up, it's just me noticing it in my body.

My advice is: if there's stuff with refined sugars in it, bin it. otherwise you'll be tormenting yourself, constantly trying to resist it - then, when your will power is exhausted, you'll eat that thing and a whole lot of other stuff.

for me, treating refined sugars as an addiction was not an excuse to fail, but a breakthrough. I started looking at what strategies alcoholics & drug users use, and life got a lot easier over the few months after that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    RogueinSF I wish you the best. At 63 my 40 years of abusing carbs had me in a mess. During Aug-Sept I tried to taper off but kept going back to them. By Oct I was ticked at letting sugar/carbs wreck my health and stopped 'cold turkey'.

The first two weeks was hellish in my view then the cravings started to fade and have stayed away. So have the sugar crashes mid afternoon. My main objective was to manage my arthritis pain without Rx's. After 90 days of being sugar free my pain level of 7-8+ is down into the 2-3 range on a 1-10 scale and my weight is down 16 pounds but I lost in size before the scales started slowly going down.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
    This is a four year update to the video you posted. There is new research effort and before and after photos of people before and after some of his treatments.

Do read the Alan Aragon blog link in a post above and you will see how much he does agree with the video link you embedded.

Sugar addiction happens over time if one does become addicted (I did become addicted but it seems many do not per some posting) and it did not go away over night in my case. My physical addiction seemed to have past but my emotional addiction is still in the back of my mind because I can remember my love for Lemon Icebox Pie like mom made.

Best of luck in SF.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I know this contributes zilch but,
    Lol
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Can.....can we merge all the sugar threads together? I feel like the same people are having the same discussion over 4 different threads lol.
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fourth day without sugar, and it has been rough. Finally starting to feel better!
This discussion has been closed.