Breakfast on the go?

Options
Eire228
Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
Does anyone else eat breakfast on their way in to work? I have quite a long commute (a minimum of 45 minutes, sometimes an hour and a half, depending on which office I'm working in for the day), so I often eat breakfast in my car to save time in the morning and avoid eating at my desk in front of clients. I love making smoothies for breakfast, but sometimes I don't have enough time to make them. When I'm running late, I resort to toast and peanut butter. It's delicious, but the peanut butter kills my calorie goal for the day. Does anyone else have ideas for healthy breakfast on the go?? I can think of a lot of great breakfasts that can be eaten at the kitchen table, but not in my car...

Replies

• MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have an oatmeal/egg white muffin recipe that's pretty good, but takes about 35 minutes to bake. They're better fresh, but you could make them the night before & just zap in the microwave for about 10 seconds to warm it back up. It makes 4 muffins (1 serving), or you could make it in a small pyrex dish & just cut it into a couple of squares for easy handling.

Get up & Go muffins (Base recipe, see below for alternatives)

0.50 cup(s)(40 g), 100% Natural Whole Grains Old Fashioned
    0.25 cup(s), Eggs - White only, raw
    3.00 tbsp (51 g), Sugar Free, Red Raspberry Preserves (I use polaner- 10 cal/17 g tbsp
    6.00 tsp (2 tbsp) Granulated Splenda

Mix together & pour into prepared (pam-sprayed) muffin cups or small pan (very thin!) If you want a smoother texture, use a hand blender to mix.
    Bakke @ 350 25 minutes or so.

Nutrition Facts (from MFP recipe builder)

Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 224
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3 g 5 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 116 mg 5 %
    Potassium 99 mg 3 %
    Total Carbohydrate 45 g 15 %
    Dietary Fiber 13 g 52 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 12 g 23 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 0 %
    Iron 10 %

I have also added hershey's cocoa powder (unsweetened- 10 cal/5g) or
    PB 2 (22 cal/6 g) to change it up a bit.
    The original recipe called for more whites, but that made them a bit soggy. You can also add vanilla extract, cinnamon or other spices, etc--whatever makes it taste good to you. Raspberry is my preferred flavor, but you can use apricot, strawberry, blackberry -- won't matter to the NI, as long as it's the 10 cal/ serving one.
  • Eire228
    Options
    These sound great! I can absolutely find time to bake on a Sunday and have these to grab on the go for the week. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Quick question though - I'm not a huge baker. When you say natural whole grains old fashioned, is this a type of flour? Or something I would find in the natural food section with that exact label?
  • Bridesmomma107
    Bridesmomma107 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You could mix whatever eggs you like,whites,with or without yolks.......add a bit of cut up spinach or other veggies ( I like sliced mushrooms,grated onion ,diced red/green peppers,maybe a Tbl of shredded cheese.)
    In the morning,heat a small skillet,use pam or butter,add egg mixture....put a lid on,go get dressed. Check eggs,if done ....take off the heat or flip. When ready to go,roll it up on a large wrapper. With a carton of milk,a nice protein boost.
  • nondomesticgoddess
    nondomesticgoddess Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Google "egg muffins" - they are basically scrambled eggs with add-ins, that are baked ahead of time. There are a ton of recipes for them. Find one that uses the ingredients you like. I plan to make about a dozen of them this weekend and freeze them. They can be heated in the microwave for about a minute when frozen, and then eaten on the go.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I found an "egg bake" on Pinterest and then altered it. We have a similar issue.
    Long commute and need something portable. I do like hard-boiled eggs, but since you
    Can cook on Sunday. Try this:
    - 6 eggs
    - 8 pieces of pre-cooked bacon (I use Hormel, black label)
    - 3 tsp diced jalapenos
    - 1.25 cup shredders cheese (I like nacho & taco or Mexican blend)

"Pam" a 9x9 baking dish. Cook on 350 x12-15 mins. I cUt into 9 squares and
    Always eat 1.

Once cool, put into Ziploc bags (2 per srvg).

Good luck on figuring out what works for you. For me, I have little time and a long
    Commute, but it was about breaking the habit of stopping for breakfast on my way
    To work.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ·6 eggs, beaten
    ·The bacon, once it's cooked, crumble it
    ·Mix everything and then pour into the baking dish.

I'm sure all of that you knew, but just in case. :)
  • ysaid1
    ysaid1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Trader Joes has a good low fat low sodium peanut butter. I live off of it. Two tablespoons of it is 100 calories. The sugar count is only 2 grams. But I do like these muffin recipes. I have a long commute and I leave home fairly early and get to work earlier than I need to. I need to find ways to not go to a drive thru.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    Quick question though - I'm not a huge baker. When you say natural whole grains old fashioned, is this a type of flour? Or something I would find in the natural food section with that exact label?
    they mean old fashioned oats - the word was omitted by accident it looks like. just get a container of quaker oats and you'll be fine :)
  • Eire228
    Options
    cocates wrote: »

Good luck on figuring out what works for you. For me, I have little time and a long
    Commute, but it was about breaking the habit of stopping for breakfast on my way
    To work.

Yes, that's what I resort to a lot, and I don't like it! The calories add up faster, and I spend more money than I should.

I made an egg bake this weekend, thanks to everyone's suggestions! It made a huge batch, so I will definitely freeze some for another day. Any thoughts on how long it will be good in the freezer? I used mainly egg beater egg whites, and only 3 real eggs (with lots of veggies, of course).
  • Eire228
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    they mean old fashioned oats - the word was omitted by accident it looks like. just get a container of quaker oats and you'll be fine :)

Thank you!