Breakfast for a Working Person

Options

Replies

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My sister taught me about "No-atmeal", which is quick, delicious, and healthy:

Crack one egg into a microwave-safe bowl. Mash up one banana, add a big spoonful of some kind of nut butter (almond butter is lovely) and mix it up really well with the egg. Microwave at 30 second intervals for 2-2:30, stirring between each interval. It looks like oatmeal, has the consistency of oatmeal (no joke), and is really tasty. Full of protein and healthy fats! Add some cinnamon or a teaspoon of vanilla extract for a bit of a sweeter breakfast.

I'm a teacher, so I feel you about not wanting to wake up any earlier than usual. I'm out the door by 6:15 and I sleep until 5:45, so I cram everything into that 30 minutes to get ready, eat, and go. I'm a fan of toast or a bagel with some peanut butter or cream cheese, Greek yogurt and a glass of orange juice, a protein shake and a piece of fruit, or even a classic bowl of cereal. If I'm not feeling super rushed or if I know I have a few extra minutes because there's not much I need to do before classes, I'll make regular instant oatmeal or my sister's No-atmeal.

Good luck. Mornings are a b-word.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I hard boil a bunch of eggs on the weekend then grab one and a piece of toast and eat that for breakfast quite a bit.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My general breakfast is... in a blender mix 1C. silk milk, frozen fruit and some protein powder. This takes me about 3 minutes from pulling everything out and putting everything back away. I drink it on my commute. If you don't want the protein powder use a banana for extra body and nutrition. I also make various baked eggs for the week and those will reheat in less than 30 seconds (I used them for lunches).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so I do things like coffee (usually that's it for me, but if I"m still hungry), V8, or boiled eggs. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What do you eat before you go to work?
    I need to start eating breakfast to avoid being so hungry at lunch, but I'm always in such a rush in the mornings.

What do you eat?

I found I don't need to eat. I may want to, but I don't need to. Quite interesting.

However, when I DO eat something, I'll make it some bacon and eggs, or yogurt with protein, or other stuff like that.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm on winter break now, but during the semester, I rotate through three different breakfasts--oatmeal, Greek yogurt, or a protein shake, all of which I can take with me and discreetly eat before class if pressed for time. I usually don't need much, but if I eat nothing before class, I'm RAVENOUS by lunch time (bad, bad, bad choices then).

I do have the occasional drive thru breakfast from McD's or Subway breakfast melt when I have the extra calorie need (and want the "yum" treat) but not much time (like long run at lunch hour or whatever).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not a rushing-off-to-work person but I don't want to cook in the morning. I have been eating yogurt, cereal, fruit, a peanut butter sandwich or a granola bar. They don't really take much time/effort to prepare and most are portable or can be eaten while doing other things.
    Eating a banana is better than eating nothing IME.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the answers yet in the thread so forgive me in advance if I'm repeating others.

we (husband and I) prep usually at night. He makes yoghurt with frozen fruit and oatmeal and puts it in the fridge until it's ready to go in the morning (fruit is then thawed). I make our lunch salads (without greens, so they don't wilt) for the next day. Prep time is around 10 -20 minutes for both activities.

When I wake up I directly go into the kitchen to make coffee and soft-boil two eggs. This takes roughly around 7 minutes in total for both. Right before eggs are ready i put two slices of multigrain bread in the toaster. Egg (1 is for hubs) goes over the two toasts (if I'm still hungry, I put a few slices of chicken on the other slice). Prep and eating time is around 15 min.

many things you can prep before hand, or you can pack the night before things you want to take with you. you can bake muffins (healthy ones of course) and have a supply on hand for the week. you can take and store cereal, nuts, muesli, multigrain crackers, etc. at work (if you have that possibility of course).

There are many ways but you need to be willing to take the time to do them. If you like your sleep, prep at night or in the weekend. Or, be willing to get up 20 minutes earlier. Or don't :) It's your choice of course!
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't usually eat it until I'm at work, but: Greek non-fat yogurt with nuts and whatever fruit I have.

I do exactly this.

Yep, same here. I'm all about getting maximum sleep on work days. My two main breakfast options:

1. Yogurt with frozen berries. Prep the night before and refrigerate in a sealed container. Add nuts or granola in the morning.

2. Two boiled eggs and toast. Boil the eggs on Sunday, refrigerate. They're also a good salad add-on if you end up eating something else for breakfast.

Good luck!
  • BobTheMad
    BobTheMad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith apple cut into quarters then low-fat peanut butter spread on top. My breakfast 90% of the time once I get into the office.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    What I do is on Sunday evenings I cook my breakfasts for the week. I take them with me to work and then eat them at my desk. If you can not eat them at your desk then wake up 15min earlier to pop in the precooked meal in the microwave and chow down. I am sure that you can spare 15min.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Egg sandwiches take under 3 minutes to make - the longest part is toasting the english muffin.

Microwave an egg in a bowl (under a minute)
    Slice of cheese
    Slice of canadian bacon

Then I wait for the english muffin to finish toasting and assemble it.

Under 300 cals
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make when I have a whole 20 minutes for breakfast (sorry -- that sounds luxurious to me, it makes me chuckle a little) is a breakfast sandwich. I scramble an egg using a modified version of Gordon Ramsay's method (single egg, less butter, no cream) and put it together with a light English muffin, a slice of fried ham or turkey bacon, a smear of Laughing Cow or avocado, and a little hot sauce.

Really, though, with 15-20 minutes you can have almost anything. Even pancakes and waffles are doable in that timeframe, if you make the batter the night before or use a mix. Have whatever you like, don't feel the need to restrict yourself to "breakfast foods," and enjoy yourself.
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I make a batch of steel cuts oats on the weekend so I can just heat a half cup in the microwave and toss in add ins like nuts, fresh fruit or nut butter. It's great in the winter.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    toasted english muffin with a little peanut butter and banana slices (less than half a banana). I freeze the unused portion of banana for smoothies later.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Cold cereal & 2% milk is a great and quick standby. Slice up a banana into it or some blueberries or strawberries for extra enjoyment.

For something hot - an egg or two scrambled and fried up with some optional cheese into a 8" tortilla can be eaten on the go. This takes less than five minutes to make.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast entirely and eat in the afternoon. If breakfast were important to me, I would get up earlier.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have trouble functioning first thing before work - no matter how early I get up I'm TIRED. I work 12 hr rotating shifts so I'm tired a lot. I find rushing around making a breakfast causes me to forget something(like leave the burner on), stress out, and not enjoy the meal. I usually eat when I get to work- I come in a little early usually and nuke my food and make a cup of hot tea(we have a hot water dispenser) and try to enjoy - otherwise I grab it when there's a break.

my usual go-to's are : evol breakfast taco (found these the other day and while I can't say they're cravingly good they satsify me (usually I'm hungry within an hour or so - it's been over 2/12 hrs and I'm still ok hunger-wise) with some fruit

when I'm off and make breakfast tacos - always egg or egg white or both and usually diced onion (I use the frozen chopped), and cheese or meat - I vary depending on what I have on-hand) I make extra and keep ina container so all I hve to do is grab the filling and tortilla/wrap and bring with me. sometimes I use ziptop snack bags/sandwich bags.

greek yogurt - usually non-fat and sometimes get the splenda versions and intant oatmeal though last night I made slow cooker steel cut oats from a recipe on theyummylife.com and will probably eat those in another 30 min to an hour

I've also done peanut butter sandwich with banana or apple on whole wheat bread or low carb wrap. also easy to eat in the car

I like smoothies but just too much concentration (and noise) so early in my day - so these don't get made as much but when i do it's usually when I'm off or for supper after work
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When I work eaarrllyy, I often make a peanut butter and jam sandwich on oats and honey bread. Its delicious, decent protein intake and I can eat it in the car.