Exercising while sick

Options
I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately but asking/discussing helps me stay focused.

Anyway- I have had a pretty miserable cold the past week and still under the weather. I have found I just don't have the energy to work out, especially since I come home from work more exhausted than usual (even worse if it was a busy night climbing stairs/carrying people down 5flight walk ups). I have been doing my normal daily activities (work/school) but seem to be using "work out" time to catch more sleep. I had been doing the c25k program (which after I feel better will restart 1-2 weeks back from where I was). I honestly haven't exercised in over 6 days.

I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on types of extremely low impact exercises to do in the mean time? I was considering yoga, but because of the head congestion after the first pose I was dizzy :(. I know I can't do heavy cardio, so was trying to focus on light strength training. I figure anything is better than nothing.

Replies

• Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are on the right track in my opinion with the focus on strength training until your respiratory system recovers. The medications that help with the symptoms in addition to the natural responses to the cold, also make high intensity cardio difficult. I would recommend focusing on the large mussel groups like the quads to get the best bang for your buck (squats, lunges for instance), if your goal is weight loss. As always listen to your body and rest if that is what is needed.

Hope you recover quickly.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ishtancon wrote: »
    You are on the right track in my opinion with the focus on strength training until your respiratory system recovers. The medications that help with the symptoms in addition to the natural responses to the cold, also make high intensity cardio difficult. I would recommend focusing on the large mussel groups like the quads to get the best bang for your buck (squats, lunges for instance), if your goal is weight loss. As always listen to your body and rest if that is what is needed.

Hope you recover quickly.

Thank you. I knew i had to cut back on cardio when I was getting winded at work. I'm actually not taking any cold medicine (other than Motrin).
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've had two weeks off training due to a nasty flu, started again today with a strength session and realised just how much endurance I've lost! Don't push yourself until you're ready... I had to quit my session early today and I know if I had have pushed it I probably would have put my recovery back a step. Listen to your body! Walking is good to keep moving if you can do that.
  • elphie754
    Options
    alc212 wrote: »
    I've had two weeks off training due to a nasty flu, started again today with a strength session and realised just how much endurance I've lost! Don't push yourself until you're ready... I had to quit my session early today and I know if I had have pushed it I probably would have put my recovery back a step. Listen to your body! Walking is good to keep moving if you can do that.

I have been walking in 5 min intervals just around the apt. I'm nervous to go out side to walk because I could get too tired and have trouble making back lol.
  • Jupither
    Jupither Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a cold at the beginning of December and forced myself to keep on doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It was probably the dumbest idea I've had in a while and resulted in me having sinusitis for about two weeks - nasty headaches even after my cold was long gone.
    So I would recommend really listening to your body. If it needs sleep instead of exercise then give in to that urge!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take a break from exercising and get yourself better?
  • elphie754
    Options
    I have been taking it easy, but I feel lazy for not exercising, even though at work I know I get some cardiac in, against my will lol.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly every sick. Probably because I basically grew up in a barn and ingested enough bacteria and viruses to give me a strong immune system. But anyways....I don't alter my exercise or diet habits unless my body physically makes me alter them. Of course my workouts aren't as crazy. But they usually help me feel better. Deep down you know if you just can't go to the gym or if you are using it as an excuse. I once worked out with my PT with a head cold and had to stop every so often to spit out mucus. Kinda gross but it also helped clear me out good ;)

On the flip side, missing a week or two isn't going to make you super unfit.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Like I just said on the other "exercising while sick" thread, this is just a blip. Don't worry about it. Just rest and get better.

I'm curious, what is your job that requires you to climb stairs and carry people down 5 flight walk ups all night?? That alone sounds like quite a workout!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I will speak from a different perspective here :D I'm on immune suppressants. As such, I always appreciate anyone who's sick staying home and not spreading germs around a gym.

Now, my selfish motives aside, your body benefits from rest when it's sick. You'll know when you're over the worst of it and feel well enough to exercise again.
  • elphie754
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I'm hardly every sick. Probably because I basically grew up in a barn and ingested enough bacteria and viruses to give me a strong immune system. But anyways....I don't alter my exercise or diet habits unless my body physically makes me alter them. Of course my workouts aren't as crazy. But they usually help me feel better. Deep down you know if you just can't go to the gym or if you are using it as an excuse. I once worked out with my PT with a head cold and had to stop every so often to spit out mucus. Kinda gross but it also helped clear me out good ;)

On the flip side, missing a week or two isn't going to make you super unfit.

I don't use a gym lol. Right now I know that it is not an excuse.
    Like I just said on the other "exercising while sick" thread, this is just a blip. Don't worry about it. Just rest and get better.

I'm curious, what is your job that requires you to climb stairs and carry people down 5 flight walk ups all night?? That alone sounds like quite a workout!

I am a paramedic.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Rest and sleep while you're sick. You'll recover faster and then be back exercising faster. You'll do more damage than good pushing your body to exercise when it's telling you it needs to rest.