WHICH IS WORSE?

Options
I have a problem with sweets and also chips. For losing weight which is the best one to get rid of? I need to start with one and then work on the other one.

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with either. Which one do you eat more of?

Either way practicing self control and moderation will lead to success while still eating your favorite foods.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, you can have your cake AND eat it too... Calories in vs out determines weight loss/gain. No need to get rid of any foods in order to lose weight. Moderation is key. That being said, if chips or sweets are trigger foods for you, the problem is self control. Chips or sweets in and of themselves do not cause weight gain.
  • melaniemarietta
    Options
    Chips
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    tobybears8 wrote: »
    I have a problem with sweets and also chips. For losing weight which is the best one to get rid of? I need to start with one and then work on the other one.

Depends on you personally. If you can handle moderation, eat both, but eat half the amount of each you eat now. Then slowly reduce over time to a manageable amount.

Or, if you know you'll overdo it, then elimination may work better. As to which one first? Doesn't matter really. Start with a small goal you know you can attain and build from there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I would suggest getting chocolate dipped potato chips.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Chips

Lovely source of potassium.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Depends on you personally. If you can handle moderation, eat both, but eat half the amount of each you eat now. Then slowly reduce over time to a manageable amount.

Or, if you know you'll overdo it, then elimination may work better. As to which one first? Doesn't matter really. Start with a small goal you know you can attain and build from there.

All of this.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    perhaps not giving up any of them but just having smaller amount?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Try getting a food scale and weighing out portions of foods. Then, put the bag away before you start eating your carefully controlled portion. You may also want to set a goal to choose between chips or sweets on any given day.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would give up chips first (I presume you mean potato crisps like Pringles ?). The salt in them can lead to water-weight so you might see a nice weight loss quickly if you cut down first. I always find a quick weight loss in the first few days is a good motivator- although it takes longer to lose fat and have a proper long term weight loss.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Oh, someone should definitely try the cowboy bark from trader joes. Check this out.

cowboybark3of4.jpg.html
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You could just try reducing both if you think you can eat a bit without going overboard.

If you really feel like you need to eliminate them, pick the easiest first. Neither one is going to hurt you in moderation, and neither is giving you much in the way of nutrition, so it's really not going to make much difference which you cut first. Figure out which one you are ready to live without, and do it.

Another possibility might be trying to find lower calorie versions, like baked chips and low sugar dark chocolate.

Good luck
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You could just try reducing both if you think you can eat a bit without going overboard.

If you really feel like you need to eliminate them, pick the easiest first. Neither one is going to hurt you in moderation, and neither is giving you much in the way of nutrition, so it's really not going to make much difference which you cut first. Figure out which one you are ready to live without, and do it.

Another possibility might be trying to find lower calorie versions, like baked chips and low sugar dark chocolate.

Good luck
    Wise words
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Oh, someone should definitely try the cowboy bark from trader joes. Check this out.

cowboybark3of4.jpg.html

Oh my.

I'm moving to the US in 7 days and my local food store at the new place is a Trader Joe's. This may not end well, lol. I was all excited about the fresh produce in California, but now I just want to eat cowboy bark and to hell with fruit and veg
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up either one. Fit them into your calories budget and enjoy!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

cowboybark3of4.jpg.html

Oh. My. Gosh.

OP, I'd try to reduce my servings by half and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, cut out the one you think you can live without.
  • tobybears8
    tobybears8 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I would suggest getting chocolate dipped potato chips.

That sounds good, but think the chips would get kinda funky. LOL.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Good luck

wise words.

I have a chips/salsa problem (not really a 'problem' but I digress) I don't CRAVE chips- I never have- I rarely buy them- but I really like them... and one of the reasons I rarely buy them is because when I have salsa in the house- I can't just have ONE serving of 14 chips- I practically stuff myself till I'm going to pop- I LOVE them.

It's about a 50/50 gamble on self discipline with the chips- sometimes I can manage it- sometimes I can't... so to combat this- I just don't buy them regularly- i get them every other month or so when the fancy strikes me- and when it runs out- i don't buy more- i don't even go NEAR the salsa isle (it's really the salsa I like- the chips are just a vehicle to get it from the container to my pie hole)