What do you add to rice?

Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I saute onions and mushrooms in the pot before I add the rice and water. Then when the rice is done I add frozen peas.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    foolproof way to cook rice every time.
    1. measure rice into the pot dry
    2. wash rice in lukewarm water by pouring water into pot and swishing rice around until water is cloudy then pouring out the water gently (rice will sink to the bottom, don't pour that out it doesn't need to be completely dry). Repeat twice more, by this stage the water should be allot less cloudy.
    3. pour water into the pot slowly and smooth rice over the bottom of the pot place your hand flat palm down over the top of the rice and fill until the water covers your first finger joint (the thickest part of your finger)
    4. pop onto the stove on a medium to high heat and cook covered until boiling, if using an electric stove turn off now and DO NOT lift the lid! If using a gas stove boil for 5 minutes - no longer and turn off the heat, again do not lift the lid!
    5. Leave to sit covered for 20 -30 minutes if you have done it correctly when you do lift the lid the rice should be dry, cooked perfectly and not too sticky.

I add chicken stock to mine allot, or herbs depending on what I am serving it with although as someone mentioned above I usually serve it as a bed for whatever else we are eating and allow the juices from that to seep down and flavour the rice.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I follow the stovetop directions that's printed on my bag of rice. Sometimes replacing the water with broth, but otherwise... following the directions works out well.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Frozen veg, soya sauce and chilli flakes....simple and delicious!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Veggies, salsa, tomato sauce or various spices.

I often toss the veggies and chicken in with the rice and just have it as one thing. :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    The only thing I mix with my rice is beans once or twice a week when I have it. Otherwise I don't add anything to my rice but a little lite salt.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not all rice are born equal. If you buy jasmine rice, you won't need to add anything to it to make it taste good. It has a pleasant aroma and slightly sweet taste. Same goes for sticky rice (but that is harder to prep). I stay away from prepackaged rice in boxes, small bags, etc., since it just doesn't tast right to me, but I'm a snob about my rice like that ;)

A $20 mini rice cooker is pretty small and you can make soup, etc. in it. I used one in college and it was invaluable.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I add soy sauce, stevia, garlic, and red pepper. Very "Asian"
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Late to the party, but:
    bagged (white or brown) rice + oil + soup cube (various types) + frozen veg (optional)

Boil it all together, let it sit once most of the water is gone (or use a rice cooker). Works errytime.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I add just a few drops of sesame oil and a sprinkle of powdered ginger to the cooking water, then pour on some garlicy hot sauce when I serve it up. My son likes his cooked with Old Bay and a little butter, though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lakhena wrote: »
    Not all rice are born equal. If you buy jasmine rice, you won't need to add anything to it to make it taste good. It has a pleasant aroma and slightly sweet taste. Same goes for sticky rice (but that is harder to prep). I stay away from prepackaged rice in boxes, small bags, etc., since it just doesn't tast right to me, but I'm a snob about my rice like that ;)

A $20 mini rice cooker is pretty small and you can make soup, etc. in it. I used one in college and it was invaluable.

Yeah I've been looking at rice cookers, just need to check them out in the store because I have no idea what size to get for 4 people.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I don't usually add anything other than a little salt and fat (butter or olive oil) to the cooking water, although I might use stock if I have some on hand. I just let the protein and veg and any sauce on those (e.g., from a stir-fry) that I'm eating with it flavor it.

As small children, we used to sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on our rice.

You could do a pilaf: saute some alliums (onions, garlic, shallots, etc.), other veggies if you like (e.g., bell pepper, diced carrot or celery), add the rice and stir until it starts to brown slightly, add the water or stock (preferable already hot) with any herbs you might want to use (e.g., thyme, oregano) and chopped tomatoes if you like (canned would be good here), and cook as usual.

You don't need a special rice cooker (unless you want to be able to completely forget about it after you start cooking it). This is how I've been cooking rice for about 40 years (since I was old enough to be allowed to use the stove), and the only times it has failed (burning a little) was when I got completely distracted and let it continue cooking for substantially too long. (This is for "real" rice, not instant, pre-cooked, or converted.)

1) Use a non-metal pot (e.g., Corningware, ceramic, enameled, earthenware), preferably one with a glass lid so you don't have to remove it to see if the water is absorbed.
    2) Use the water-to-rice (or stock-to-rice) ratio recommended on the package (varies for different types of rice, especially white vs. brown). (You can rinse the rice if you want, until the water is clear, but I don't. My mother never did, because she didn't believe in washing vitamins and minerals down the drain, and now I'm used to it that way. But if you're used to rinsing, go ahead.)
    3) Bring water (and optional salt and fat, if using) to a boil.
    4) Add rice, stir briefly, replace lid, and as soon as boiling resumes, immediately reduce heat (generally low rather than warm on an electric stove and as low as you can without the flame going out on a gas stove, but stoves do vary, so you may have to play with this the first few times you try it; you want it to go down to a bare simmer or not even even simmering; don't be afraid that it's too low; if the water boils over, the burner is too hot).
    5) Cook until water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes for white rice (check after 15) and 35 to 45 minutes for brown rice (check after 35). When water is absorbed, turn off heat. If you leave the pot on the burner, it will easily stay hot for 10 minutes or more if you need to finish with other dishes that you're serving. Fluff with fork before serving.

If this doesn't work for you, you can also cook rice like pasta (i.e., in lots of water, at least four times the amount called for in the directions on the package) and drain it in a colander when you're done. You will lose lots of the starch when you drain it (so you probably don't need to rinse it, even if you normally rinse when you're only using as much water as the rice will absorb). You'll want to keep the water at a boil, just like you would for pasta. It will generally cook a little more quickly this way. It's been a while since I've done it this way, but I think it was about 12 minutes for white rice and 30 minutes for brown rice. Just spoon out a few grains to test.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I sauté onion and garlic in butter/oil combo, then toast the rice in it for a minute (a la risotto) and use broth and water.

Add some scallions at the end, I find that having something green in the rice is..well, nice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I need to look up risotto recipes.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Low sodium soy, black beans, corn, shredded chicken, and some shallots
  • jms1002013
    Options
    I add soy sauce, or cook it in vegetable stock and its always yummy that way :) Sweet Chili sauce is also a winner but a few more calories
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been cooking mine in chicken or beef broth with 1 tbsp. of soy sauce. I also add 1/4 tsp garlic power, 1/4 tsp black pepper and up to a tbsp. dried parsley while it is cooking. After, I add 1 tsp of butter. (For 1 cup of dry (brown) rice and 1 cup of broth).

You could also cook white rice in coconut water - it's delicious this way!
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been looking at rice cookers, just need to check them out in the store because I have no idea what size to get for 4 people.

Growing up, we had five in the family and ate rice every day. Our rice cooker made up to eight cups of rice, though we usually made five cups at a time. We ate a ton of rice though, so I'd recommend going with something smaller than what we had unless you, too, buy rice by the 25 or 50 lb bags ;)

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    lakhena wrote: »

I've had this one for a couple of years, it's huge for 2 people. We usually eat 1/4 cup (around 30g depending on type of rice) dry rice per serving so one cup makes enough for 4 servings. This makes up to 20 cups (if you don't use the steamer basket.)

target.com/p/aroma-digital-rice-cooker-stainless-steel-20-cups/-/A-13374757?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=13374757&CPNG=Appliances&kpid=13374757&LID=3pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13374757&kpid=13374757&gclid=CKC5wOep9sICFSho7AodZxgAZg

It's neat seeing good rice cooking instructions, I have this bookmarked for later. I honestly use the rice cooker because I cook several times a day so I don't like to spend too much time on food prep. I like that I can push a button and it's done. I usually set a delayed start time so I don't have to check on it once it's soaked, it will automatically start cooking when it's time.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack, but...are rice cookers supposed to rattle and hiss and wheeze and whistle or did I do it wrong? I bought one years and year ago and used it once and now it's in storage because I'm scared of it.