need an inexpensive exercise bike...

Options
I have very specific needs and I'm finding it hard to find what I need-
1)Weight limit-I need it to be safe for someone around 310- 330 to use. Many I see are 220-70
1) price-I'm not in a good financial position so I can't afford anything very expensive. I don't have a car and I live in nowhere new Hampshire so I can't just go to a gym.
3) size. I have very small living space,so something upright and compact is necessary.

I find it hard to do real cardio at home. I can lift etc but in a tiny space and being unable to go outside (I have asthma set off by the cold) I find it hard to get my heart rate up enough. I enjoy biking so I figured this was something I could do listening to books or podcasts

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd get a roadbike and an inexpensive trainer like the kurt kinetic.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you keep your eye on eBay and Craigslist, I bet you can pick up a nice used spin bike for a couple hundred bucks. With that, you can follow along on some of the spin class videos freely available on YouTube.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can't fit a whole bike in my house. I do not have the space. There are upright exercise bikes,even foldable ones. But what I've seen so far are lower weight limits.

I need to be able to order online. I do not have a car for Craigslist etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    a road bike is a bike designed for the road.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap spin bike that was about $200 on Amazon. It's very sturdy, but not portable. It's heavy and bulky.

The more portable and foldable it is the less likely it will be designed for heavy riders. Even my heavy steel bike is up to 275 lb. I suspect it could support much more, but I'm not going to advise on that.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    Since I was specifically asking for exercise bikes I was like wait what? Maybe its not what it sounds like... I have a road bike I can't use because its winter
  • Archon2
    Options
    Just curious...what kind of space limits and price limits are good for you OP? Might help with the suggestions.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Check Craigslist.com
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/ProGear-250-Compact-Upright-Bike-with-Heart-Pulse-Sensors/20999079

Something no bigger than the Linked one,so an upright not a recumbent. I really don't have any space. This would be in the way constantly already but I need an outlet for energy. And I'm thinking around $250
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You can get a wind trainer-and take your bike off and on each time. Get a couple of hooks and put the bike on the wall-like a piece of art. Get a used trainer off craig's list or Kijiji --I did.
    As for no car-seriously-you have no friends or family that would drive you ONCE to pick up something?
  • Archon2
    Options
    Those upright, compact ones look like a good match for the space issue, but I agree that a recumbent unit like the ones in gyms look a lot sturdier and match the weight tolerances better. But they are too expensive and big. Just don't see a good answer with the price point, space, and weight limit parameters. If you go with one of the compact systems, there is some risk since you can't try it ahead of time, and it just might not work out

Cycling is real good exercise so I hope you find something. Too bad a gym isn't close by to you. As others pointed out, maybe using your road bike with a trainer is something to consider. That is what I have also for winter cardio at home, and I can take the bike out and put it away pretty easily when I am done. The trainer folds away and can be put in a closet.
  • Archon2
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    You can get a wind trainer-and take your bike off and on each time. Get a couple of hooks and put the bike on the wall-like a piece of art. Get a used trainer off craig's list or Kijiji --I did.

Those wind trainers are Jet engine LOUD though! I'd say it is worth it to go for a fluid one, especially if you have neighbors or little kids trying to sleep. AND if you want to watch TV while your pedaling :)
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    I do not have room to have the bike in the house at all. There is nowhere to hook it up. I have incredibly small living space.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    I would either be using it in the evening in a room next to people trying to sleep or during the day in the same room as my spouse who would be trying to sleep (he works nights) so jet engine isn't a choice lol
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know they do sell equipment that's just the pedals of a stationary bike. I have one that comes with a timer. So no calorie counting or anything like that, but it's quiet, takes up very little space during use (you can just sit in a chair and do something with your arms like lift weights if you want) and it folds up to about the size of a step stool. Might be worth it to look into if it comes to that.
  • neverend
    neverend Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you like skipping at all? I have a boxing skipping rope and have skipped in some very small places (e.g. hotel rooms). I do that indoors and it's extremely good for cardio? Not what you're looking for exactly, but something cheap that you can do indoors?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try an exercise video instead? Things like 30 Day Shred and Walk Away The Pounds don't need a ton of room and will be a lot cheaper in the long run. You could at least do a video until you're in a good financial position to get the bike you want.

Neverend's idea was good, too. Biking is great, but there are alternatives more doable for you at the moment.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I use a minicycle, I have tried out a few different ones and this is the one I like best:

http://www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exercise-Pedal-Exerciser-White/dp/B00B1VDNQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420225459&sr=8-1&keywords=desk+cycle

You sit in your own chair, so weigh is not an issue, super compact so it doesn't take up a lot of room. It's sturdy with adjustable tension and a tracker for speed, distance, time cycling, and you can go online here: http://www.deskcycle.com/CalorieCalculator.html for a pretty accurate calorie burn estimate.

I use it at my desk on the lowest tension to burn about 100 calories per hour while on the computer or watching TV. If I want an actual workout, I can burn a LOT more by moving the tension up and getting my heart rate going.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If your living space is that small, do you have a garage or deck you can use? I'd also recommend combining a mountain/street bike with a trainer stand

You could also store your bike outside and just roll it into the living room for exercise, then put it outside when done.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »
    I know they do sell equipment that's just the pedals of a stationary bike. I have one that comes with a timer. So no calorie counting or anything like that, but it's quiet, takes up very little space during use (you can just sit in a chair and do something with your arms like lift weights if you want) and it folds up to about the size of a step stool. Might be worth it to look into if it comes to that.

What one do you have? I'd like to look into getting one of those!