extreme hunger

Options
I'm having extreme urges to just eat anything and everything and I usually don't get this. I'm a little paranoid and don't know how to control the urges. Any ideas?

Replies

• sonnyOclock
    Options
    if you are hungry, eat something. in my opinion, its ok to eat (or go over your MFP calories) aslong as the food you are eatting is whole - unprocessed and will provide your body with some nutritional values..
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    eat something filling, peanut butter, soups, beans,cottage cheese
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,414 Member
    Options
    If it's true hunger, eat something filling and nutritious which will keep you satisfied longer. If it's boredom talking, drink some water, go for a walk, do something to be busy. If you find yourself hungry often, make certain you are eating a good amount of calories and that you don't have too big of a deficit going on.
  • saragoesrawr
    Options
    I struggle with this from time to time and I really try to focus on looking at what I have already eaten - is it nutritionally dense? If it is yay me! If not, how can I make tomorrow better so I can stick to my calorie guidelines and stay on course? When Im out of calories but still hungry I try to make sure Im eating something filling and wholesome. Apple and nut butter or yogurt with fruit. Most importantly I try not to beat myself up about it! Your body is hungry for a reason! Make sure you aren't just bored or THIRSTY! Always drink a glass of water first and see if that satisfies your cravings :) Good luck!
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I tried to fill up on tea and water and had just a couple bites of things here and there. I need to figure out meals/snacks that will keep me full longer.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

What is your calorie goal?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat often/incorporate little snacks. I know at work I won't really feel hungry, but after 5 or 6 hours of not eating, I'll get home and eat everything so quickly. I would also make sure you're not depriving yourself of anything :)
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

It's about 2,000 but I usually end up getting around 1,600
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Make sure to eat often/incorporate little snacks. I know at work I won't really feel hungry, but after 5 or 6 hours of not eating, I'll get home and eat everything so quickly. I would also make sure you're not depriving yourself of anything :)

Thanks!!! I definitely try not to deprive myself but I think I eat too far apart at times as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Given your history, please be careful. "Filling up on tea and water" doesn't sound so good. Eat the other 400 calories instead.

Best of luck.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »

Thanks!!! I definitely try not to deprive myself but I think I eat too far apart at times as well.

You're welcome :) I guess it just takes a little experimenting and playing around with meals and meal times. Also, it is good that you are not depriving yourself
  • claptrap_beepboop
    claptrap_beepboop Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Extreme hunger is normal when you're recovering from an ED. You actually shouldn't try to stop it. You should eat whatever it is that you want and need otherwise that is not actually full recovery. I know it sucks, and weight gain is involved but you typically cannot lose weight until recovery is completed.

Source: I have had a looooong history with EDs. Just *now* starting to lose weight. And...I still have extreme hunger days too! I still listen to it, even though it does result in weight gain sometimes and/or slow my weight loss. Trust me, if you don't listen to it, you will gain even more in the long run because your body will constantly be stuck in the "I'm still starved" phase. Yeah, learned that the hard way. There were days in recovery I would eat upwards of 10,000 calories. Now, my EH is about 3,000 when I do have it. If you think about it, your body probably has a huge caloric deficit to make up for. Losing weight can often go against that, and our bodies get a little pissed off. ;)

Good luck =)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

Gee, maybe this is why you're hungry......EAT 2,000.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hard to help as you don't seem to log your food. You might be eating too little, or it's hormones.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Given your history, please be careful. "Filling up on tea and water" doesn't sound so good. Eat the other 400 calories instead.

Best of luck.

Thank you! Some days it is easier for me and other days I still have fear and yesterday seemed to be one of them and I couldn't figure out meals to keep me full longer. Something I'm working on though! :) thanks for replying and the encouragement!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    ohmeowna wrote: »
    Extreme hunger is normal when you're recovering from an ED. You actually shouldn't try to stop it. You should eat whatever it is that you want and need otherwise that is not actually full recovery. I know it sucks, and weight gain is involved but you typically cannot lose weight until recovery is completed.

Source: I have had a looooong history with EDs. Just *now* starting to lose weight. And...I still have extreme hunger days too! I still listen to it, even though it does result in weight gain sometimes and/or slow my weight loss. Trust me, if you don't listen to it, you will gain even more in the long run because your body will constantly be stuck in the "I'm still starved" phase. Yeah, learned that the hard way. There were days in recovery I would eat upwards of 10,000 calories. Now, my EH is about 3,000 when I do have it. If you think about it, your body probably has a huge caloric deficit to make up for. Losing weight can often go against that, and our bodies get a little pissed off. ;)

Good luck =)

Thank you SO much! This was very helpful! It's also nice to know I'm not alone in the experience of the extreme hunger. Knowing that it is common is helpful and puts less fear in it. Thank you! I hope you're doing well!!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Are you eating enough?

Gee, maybe this is why you're hungry......EAT 2,000.

You're right. Some days I do but I need to make it consistent.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hard to help as you don't seem to log your food. You might be eating too little, or it's hormones.

Sorry about not logging! It's a mind thing for me when I do that.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When hungry, eat. Eat something nutritious. Real hunger signals are telling us something
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    When hungry, eat.

I guess I just don't know the beneficial things to eat. I'm trying to figure it out, I just seem to run out of options and it never fills me up either.