Calling All Cooks! Need good spice ideas/flavoring to cook our salmon tonight.

Options
So my husband is tentatively along for this somewhat bumpy ride called weight loss and tonight I want to make salmon. I haven't made it in SO long and need some good ideas on what to pair with it and what to give it some additional "layers" of flavor. So far I'm thinking some kind of salmon, wild rice, and broccoli. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love making a honey mustard glaze (just dijon and honey), baking at 350 for 8-10 and then finishing off under the broiler until a bit crispy on top.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I typically use a mix of lemon pepper and cajun spices.
  • rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to pair with fish that my husband likes (and he's picky), is bulgar wheat cooked in low sodium vegetable broth; stir in some dried cranberries and almond slices. It's really good. You could also roast some veggies in the oven with olive oil and thyme or rosemary. Things like zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers work well. Set the oven at 400 and cook for 30 minutes.

As for the salmon itself; it has such a delicate flavor, I would just stick with dill and lemon. Don't over do it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Miso, sake, soy, sugar, neutral oil to make a glaze
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually mix brown sugar and grill seasoning for steak together, rub it on , and bake or even better grill.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar and chili powder rub.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    baked salmon tonite with a couple of sprays of 1cal olive oil,lemon juice and a touch of mixed herb foil wrapped.
    delicious.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My favourite salmon recipe is mixing 1:1 ratio of maple syrup to balsalmic vinegar and then 2-4 tbsp water. (For 2 deck of card sized steaks I usually use about 1-2 tbsp of each). Rub it all over and let it marinate for about 15 minutes. It's a bit decadent though so if you want to cut back on that amount, marinate it for a bit longer (like 20 minutes). Then I just bake it for about 15 minutes or so at 175C/350.

I also really love this rice salad my grandma makes: 1:2 parts cooked wild rice to brown rice, add dried (or fresh) cranberries/blueberries, and a few chopped almonds. It's so good.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Fresh dill, lemon slices, and touch of cracked black pepper is fantastic on salmon, especially on the BBQ.
  • karen32089
    Options
    I'm a garde manger chef. I work with marinations quite often. The best marination i be found yet for salmon is a mixture of Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vegetable oil, water, and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Other than the lemon juice the other ingredients are equal parts. Try it, you'll love it :)
  • karen32089
    Options
    Marinate the salmon in the mixture in a zip lock bag for 24 hours and then bake or grill it
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Easy/Healthy Salmon with Coriander and Lime "Cream"

Toast these spices in a pan, on a low heat for about 2 minutes
- 1/4 cup ground coriander
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin

Combine that with
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 teaspoons grated lime peel
- Salt/Pepper to taste

Rub that on your salmon and let it marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge. Remove extra spices from fish and cook at 450 for about 10 minutes. Check for doneness.

"Cream" sauce

Combine
- 6 tablespoons greek yougurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- chopped cilantro
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    We use a little bit of olive oil, dill and lemon juice and broil it or grill depending on the weather.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sprigs of rosemary on top and bake. Or thyme. Or coat with pesto before baking.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love using lemon pepper on my salmon. But if you're stuck, go on Pinterest, there's tons of ideas on there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For me, salmon is one of those things that doesn't need a whole lot...I prefer mine with just some pepper and a squeeze of lemon and some fresh dill.

I'm making salmon tonight as well and I'm serving it with brown rice (which I steam in chicken broth) and roasted broccoli.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste website has a few very good salmon recipes. There is a garlic, dijon, red wine vinegar preparation that's quite good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    So my husband is tentatively along for this somewhat bumpy ride called weight loss and tonight I want to make salmon. I haven't made it in SO long and need some good ideas on what to pair with it and what to give it some additional "layers" of flavor. So far I'm thinking some kind of salmon, wild rice, and broccoli. Any other suggestions are welcome!

I think that sounds delicious. As for seasoning, it's really personal preference. I prefer salmon very lightly seasoned because I really like the taste of salmon. I hate sweet glazes on all fish. But others really like that kind of thing.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Dill and lemon are all I need!! Anything else seems to take away from it for me.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I glaze mine with Tamari and olive oil, then add garlic powder, and a pinch of herbes de Provence. I often add a cauliflower mash as a side dish -- cauliflower steamed until soft, then mashed with Greek yogurt and 4 tbsps or so of grated parmesan. Yummy.