How to gauge how overweight I am

I'm 5'5", 183lbs, medium frame.
The ideal weight for my height is between about 115 - 145lbs. That's a big range. When I'm considering how overweight I am, should I count from the highest point that would put me in the 'normal' range (about 145lbs), or from the mid-point of the range (about 130lbs)?
i.e. am I 40lbs or 55lbs overweight?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    40 sounds good.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Start with the normal number, like 145lbs and reassess as you go. Your initial goal weight doesn't need to be set in stone. Due to varying body types and compositions, some people find that their initial goal weight isn't quite where they want to be in the long run.

There really is no need to know exactly how many pounds overweight you are.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Thanks!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I aimed for the top of my BMI range because I'm tall and I carry weight quite well...I'm still 5 lbs above my maximum BMI and am starting to focus on Body Fat instead...so slow fat loss

So I would aim for the 40 and then reassess as you get closer based on how you feel when you see your body / get dressed

I don't care about the number on the scale much
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I am aiming for 'normal' on the BMI scale. Once I get there I will see how I feel.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    should I count from the highest point that would put me in the 'normal' range (about 145lbs), or from the mid-point of the range (about 130lbs)

I would aim for a weight that you feel comfortable at. Where do YOU think should be?
  • stevebreeze11
    stevebreeze11 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm a similar build at 5'4" and 196 lbs and I've estimated an ideal weight goal of 161 lbs however noting the ideal weight of 115 - 145 I'm beginning to wonder if I've under estimated where I should be and rather than being about 30 lbs over weight I'm actually more like 70 lbs over weight....
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    I'm also 5'5" and I did a very self-absorbed victory dance when I hit 149 lbs, which just barely took me out of the range of overweight. Since then I've reassessed and decided I still have fat to lose, so I'm aiming to be around 130 (at 143 right now), then we'll see how I'm feeling when I get there. I think it's safe to aim for the higher end of average first, then reassess if you need to lose more weight after that.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Look in the mirror.....if you see at least trace of abs, you are good. Look at least once per week. When the abs begin to go away you hustle more, when they are more visible you relax a bit and maybe indulge if you wish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    5'5" here too and my goal is 130. I'd love to go down to 125 but realistically, I have a medium/large frame and get hungrier when I get below 132, so I don't know if it's going to happen. Obviously it will depend a lot on your muscle mass as well (I think I have 22% body fat).
  • chrissysue
    chrissysue Posts: 85 Member
    I have asked similar question...... http://www.am-i-fat.com/weight_tables_women.html according to the information here I should weigh anywhere from 120#-149# so I guess my goal weight of 135# is "good" but then I look at my teenage girls and think 135# is unrealistic. my soon to be 16yo "doesnt have an ounce of fat".... she is an all star cheerleader so very much so in shape and she weighs in the ballpark of 140#. I would concentrate more on your BMI and getting within a healthy BMI range.
    I have given up on Dieting to lose weight. I get too discouraged and quit..... I am going from a different point..... getting cardio healthy, being able to lengthen the time I can run.....right now I am lucky to be able to jog lightly for 3-4 minutes. I have a goal of being able to RUN a 5K. I know this isnt much help but food for thought. Best of luck to you!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I'm 5'6 and 154lbs (BMI 24.9) looks pretty good on me, puts me in a UK size 10/12 (US 6/8). That's what I'm aiming for again...currently 8 months post partum. Once I reach that weight I might aim to lose a few more lbs to put me a bit more comfortably in the healthy BMI range.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Thanks for the responses. This helps a lot. My lowest weight in recent years was 148 a couple of years ago and that felt really good but didn't last because I got complacent very quickly. In retrospect I feel that I should have thought that was the BEGINNING, not the end point. Just feeling gloomy about having to do all that work again, and not feeling confident about long-term success. :-(
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I'm aiming for the top of the Healthy BMI range, then I'll look at my body fat.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    I aim to see abs. If I don't see abs, I've not lost enough weight. For me, this is between 19.5 and 20 on the BMI charts and between 9 and 10% body fat.

In fact, I couldn't possibly care less about weight. How much belly fat I'm carrying tells me all I need to know.

Your goals may be different. YMMV.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I would start at the top of your range and see how you feel. I'm 5'3" and there's no way I would ever get to, let alone maintain 115 lb. I am happy and wear a size 4 at 126 - 129lb.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I aim to see abs. If I don't see abs, I've not lost enough weight. For me, this is between 19.5 and 20 on the BMI charts and between 9 and 10% body fat.

In fact, I couldn't possibly care less about weight. How much belly fat I'm carrying tells me all I need to know.

Your goals may be different. YMMV.

Yeah but you might never see your abs if you have loose skin, like I do. I'm sure I have some.. under the folds, somewhere.

So it's not really realistic for everyone.
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    The number on the scale looks differently on different people. Even on the same people.

I'm currently 5'6" and 153lbs. I am right now wearing a size 6/8 (US) but I'm very pear shaped and am looking to continue to lose fat and tone up my lower region. I've been working out pretty hard core during this journey.

I lost weight back in 2005 without exercise and am currently smaller inches wise than when I was 140 lbs. So you really just need to continue to set mini goals and see how you feel.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    I went for the top end & adjusted my goal when I got there. Thrilled at where I am but wanting to lose a little more.