impulse control

Options
Does anyone else have issues with impulse control? I can be well aware that I shouldn't be eating something and yet I still will eat it... and a lot of it. For instance: While making dinner I will eat, and eat and eat, and then eat dinner when it's ready. I know I shouldn't be doing it and yet I still do. Idk what my issue is. I plan out and bring healthy lunches & snacks with me to work yet instead of having the Greek Yogurt I brought for an "in case I get hungry" situation I'll eat Chocolate if it's around. This is killing me and Idk how to train my self control. :\ Any Tips or Suggestions?

Replies

• slacic
    slacic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so like this, same with when I'm making lunches after supper for the kids, I've had supper, know I am full & eat, & eat. Wish I had some suggestions. Drink water, I know it doesn't cut it but it's a start.? I love chocolate, well anytime but, especially in the afternoon at work, & there is always some around...
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This time around I've gotten rid of the idea of foods I "shouldn't" be eating, all food are available to me. If I find myself wanting to eat i take a moment to think about it...do I really want this? Am I thirsty? Is there something else I'd rather eat instead? How many calories do I have left today and what will I have to give up to fit this in? Many times I do decide I want to eat it so I portion out, log it and enjoy every bite. There are some things I don't keep in my house (like m+ms) because right now I don't have the self control for that, but by changing my mindset to I can have anything it has helped. Also I've found some snacks, like popcorn, are manageable calorie wise, but still give me the feeling of being able to eat a lot, that has helped me a ton.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ER,

I have lost 44 pounds and I sometimes still like to taste food while I'm cooking, but I don't do it to the extent that I used to before. If I make peanut butter, I love to taste that. I weigh it out and it eat.

What is wrong with Greek yogurt?

In your perception, what are "healthy" snacks?

I love chocolate. I have a box of See's candies from Christmas in the cabinet and two boxes of Irish candies (from when I went to Ireland last September) for a rainy day. I weigh out the piece, log it, and enjoy every single bite.

What worked for me is moderation in all foods. It took awhile for me to realize that a portion is satisfying, and that I never have to eat the whole bag of anything. However, the bottom line is you need to figure out what works for you. :)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    chew gum. carry a water bottle around. i am reading a book called "the marshmallow test" about self control in general (not just about eating but the original study was done on kids with treats)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean, and unfortunately I don't have any advice for you. Right now my desire to lose this weight is what is controlling those urges. Also, progress is a good motivator. If you do have your treats make sure you log them.
    Maybe if you would rather have the chocolate, just have it. Fit it into your day. I wouldn't force myself to eat food that wasn't appealing to me just because it's 'healthy'

Don't feel guilty about it!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    chew gum. carry a water bottle around. i am reading a book called "the marshmallow test" about self control in general (not just about eating but the original study was done on kids with treats)

Joe De Sena talks about the "cookie test" in his book Spartan Up! and goes into depth about how society's need for instant gratification has caused so many problems, including the obesity rate. It is pretty eye opening. His mind over matter mentality is fascinating.

OP - you just have to decide you would rather be healthier than eat that bit of food. I use the mantra "nothing tastes as good as fit feels" a lot......Reminds me to back away from the cookies because I've got fitness goals to accomplish.
  • er03bald
    er03bald Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Greek Yogurt. I used that as an example as I pack healthy options but I dont end up choosing them over the junk. I can plan my day and eat REALLY well all day long at work and then come home and while making dinner I'll eat an English Muffin with cream cheese or something. Or I'll eat while making dinner, eat dinner, then pick off my child's high chair tray. I've read all the motivational mantras out there, but I dont stop myself from shoveling food into my face and its SOOO FRUSTRATING as I know its wrong and I shouldnt be doing it.
  • er03bald
    Options
    drinking water doesn't curb my appetite. Eating things that "make you feel full longer" for example nuts... yeah I can eat a 1lb can of nuts in a sitting if I allowed myself to. so the whole fuller longer this is bogus as far as my mind/stomach connection is concerned.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Your mind and body are used to eating during those times. So you have to break the habit. You literally have to just stop doing it. Different things work for different people. But it all comes down to mental grit and how bad you want to lose weight and get healthy. That's it. No excuses. No quick fixes. You just have to do it.

Here are 101 things you can do instead of binge eating: http://bingeeatingtherapy.com/2011/02/101-things-to-do-instead-of-binge-eating/

In the end...you have to make the decision to not grab that food and put it in your mouth.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Your mind and body are used to eating during those times. So you have to break the habit. You literally have to just stop doing it. Different things work for different people. But it all comes down to mental grit and how bad you want to lose weight and get healthy. That's it. No excuses. No quick fixes. You just have to do it.

Here are 101 things you can do instead of binge eating: http://bingeeatingtherapy.com/2011/02/101-things-to-do-instead-of-binge-eating/

In the end...you have to make the decision to not grab that food and put it in your mouth.

This X 100! You have conditioned or trained your body to eat at these times. Key word being "you". Now, you can un-train or retrain better habits.

Also, print out this thread or even just your original post. Carry it with you in a pocket and take it out and read it before putting any food into your mouth. Make sure what you're wanting to eat is worth it, fits into your meal plan, and will not cause any regrets.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Sometimes I'm like a vacuum when I get home, sucking up anything that is easy to get to. Chips are the worst/best.
    On the days that I don't succumb it is usually because I was too busy to stop and snack. I just didn't think about it. If I get home after work and have nothing to do, that is when I think "maybe just a quick bite".
    I haven't figured out how to intentionaly not think about snacking though. Self imposed mind hacks rarely work for me.

Some kind of routine is my answer. Still working on it.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This time around I've gotten rid of the idea of foods I "shouldn't" be eating, all food are available to me.

This is my approach this year. Calories in/ calories out - not eliminating food groups or anything like that which I've done in the past. My goal is around 155... 5'6 and currently 281 pounds. It seems so far off, but I started at 350, so it's progressive. I would aim for chunks of weightloss until your body decides it's happy.

I would also focus on being kinder to yourself in terms of what you're nibbling on...you need to taste what you're making during dinner, so just have a bite. If you know you're going to want to snack while you make dinner have a 50 calorie orange segmented and ready for you to nibble. If you know you'll nibble off the high chair tray, allow yourself one nibble and then throw the rest away.

I know for my hubby, he hates to waste food and will stuff himself to the gills instead of throwing it out. It's ok to let a bit of food go to waste - then plan the next night to make a bit less food and your waste will decrease.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    er03bald wrote: »
    Does anyone else have issues with impulse control? I can be well aware that I shouldn't be eating something and yet I still will eat it... and a lot of it. For instance: While making dinner I will eat, and eat and eat, and then eat dinner when it's ready. I know I shouldn't be doing it and yet I still do. Idk what my issue is. I plan out and bring healthy lunches & snacks with me to work yet instead of having the Greek Yogurt I brought for an "in case I get hungry" situation I'll eat Chocolate if it's around. This is killing me and Idk how to train my self control. :\ Any Tips or Suggestions?

So, normally, for someone who says they eat without thinking, I'd suggest actually being more mindful, making VERY conscious choices about your intake. However, as bolded in your original quote, it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing and choosing to make decisions that go against your goal.

My suggestion is that you log, with calories, EVERYTHING you consume, and I do mean EV.ER.Y.THING! You will see in cold, hard data how you're sabotaging your own goals. Eventually, something will click in your head that says, "Ok, I'm ready to get serious about this," or "You know, I'm just fooling myself. I'm going to eat whatever I want and hope the weight comes off magically."

I know that may sound harsh, but weight loss and getting fit is around 80% food intake and 20% exercise, but it is definitely 100% mental. Only you can decide when you're really serious. In the meantime, employ some of these common-sense tips you can find on MFP, and good luck! You can do this!!
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is me 100%. Of course, there's not really a quick fix. It's mental. That sounded bad, but you know what I mean. There's nothing or no one that can fix how your brain processes these types of things except yourself. It's very hard, especially when you take the time to preplan and try to do everything you feel is right. Habits are extremely hard to break, at least for me anyways. Here's to hoping something eventually clicks! :)
  • er03bald
    Options
    Thanks everyone. There are some real good suggestions. But you're all right I need to just cut the crap and break the habit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    er03bald wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. There are some real good suggestions. But you're all right I need to just cut the crap and break the habit.

Yep! You're on the right track! :D
  • RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me, I really just have to wait it out. It's hard, it really is. Let's say that it's 5:00, and I am getting cravings. However, dinner is not until 7:00. Well, I maybe watch an episode of television, then walk the dog, etc, until 7:00. It's one day at a time. Once you conquer the cravings for one day, you have to keep on going, day by day.

Also, as you said, have some healthy snacks on hand! The food store sells those packs of Ghirardelli squares- have one if you feel that you can't resist. Feel proud for only having ONE. I also try to drink tea/coffee when a bad craving just won't go away. But fruits & vegetables are always great snacks.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes... just go one entire day without giving in. The next day will be easier, the next day will be easier and pretty soon you'll be creating a new habit. There is a big difference between being hungry and having a craving. If it's a craving do anything you can do to fight it. Distract yourself, walk, chew gum, brush your teeth, go to bed early, etc... I am all for healthy substitutions as well but don't you want to break the habit first instead of just replacing it? Either you want to do it or you don't. Once you break free from the cravings you learn that things in moderation are OK.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    For me, it's removing the temptations. I don't keep snacks in my office. I don't buy bags of snacks. If I really want something, I have to get up and drive to the grocery store or convenience store to get a small bag of it. Usually, even though I really do want the bag of chips, it's not worth getting up and leaving the house so I don't bother. I don't eat when I cook because I'm looking forward to at least the meat part of the meal and I can hold off. And I don't grocery shop when I'm hungry! That's a big one, you'll be surprised how hard it is to stay on list when you're hungry. I keep seeing things that look good and end up spending way more on junk food than I should be!