Shopping Hell: What's Your Nightmare?

Options
Alright, I had a recent shopping reminder why I'm trying to slim down.

I like clothes shopping...for other people. I like going into a place and pulling out pieces and making outfits for people, but I really hate trying things on myself. It's awkward, frustrating and in the summer just plain HOT! We all have to do it. However there is one piece of clothing I loath shopping for more than any: jeans.

Now, I know I'm fat, and while a size 18 is not where I want to be, I've come to except it as a fact until I get my act together. Hence, being here. But sometimes I think the jean makers are just skewing with me. I really want to know: whose body they used as a model for these things?!?

I have a very defined hourglass figure (44" Bust, 38" Waist, 47.5" Hips). I never thought that this was unusual. Big hips/boobs and a small waist. Out in out. Simple, right? Apparently not. When I finally have to drag myself into the store to start squeezing into pants, I realize that off the rack shopping is some sort of sick joke. If I find a pair that fits my hips comfortably, my waist is swimming. On the other hand, the jaws of life couldn't get my legs/hips into anything close to a waist fit. I can't be the only one. Even when I was at my slimmest, healthiest weight (size 10), I found it easiest to by stretchy jeans to get the best fit.

So, I want to know: what do you hate shopping for most? What do you want to be able to grab and wear right off the rack?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you with your hips to waist measurement. I'm smaller now, but I'm at a 29" waist and a 36" hips, and I have somewhat thicker thighs. So finding pants that fit right is a challenge. Sometimes I'm a 6, or an 8, or even a 10. But then if it fits on thighs I need a belt on the waist or they start sliding downwards and don't look attractive. It does get easier tho as you get smaller and the difference is less. I was able to grab size 8 American Eagle shorts off the rack, try them on and I was good. No dancing around in 5 different sizes. The 6s actually fit but my lingering pooch at the bottom of my stomach wasn't looking as good in them...
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Well my nightmare was, once I made a dress for myself. It was just a sundress so I figured if I could pull it on over my head, I could do the same to get it off... WRONG. My mom had to cut me out of it, ahaha.

Another time, I broke a zipper on a dress in a fitting room... x.x I wanted to die! But I was only a size 10 at the time, so believe me, it has to happen to everyone.

My mom has a very hourglass shape, too. She's very fashionable and loves to shop. Usually she just goes up a size in pants so they fit her butt and hips and gets the waist tailored in. [:
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Swim wear. I dread it and refused to even do it last year. Going this Friday with the ONLY person who I ever want with me when I do this, my mom. She is patient, honest and complimentary. I've always had a large bust and I am quite shy about it so putting them out there is torturous for me!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Pants!! I hate shopping for pants...My butt never fits in pants the size of my waist. I would love to be able to find a pair of jeans without having to look for eternity!
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    not having enough money!
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    I'm with you on jeans. No matter what I've weighed, it's always been impossible. You don't really know how they're going to fit, anyway, until you wear them all day. I've spent a lot of money on jeans that seemed to work in the dressing room, but as the first day in them progressed, they just did NOT work. And then now-a-days it seems like trendy jeans have these pre-made holes in them. I always snag my toe in the stupid holes putting them on and rip the hole wider, destroying the jeans. Thanks Hollisters, for that. Thanks for charging me $50 on a pair of jeans I just destroyed trying to put on only the second time I've worn them. Why do ALL trendy jeans have to have holes in them?

Plus jeans all seem to made of the stretchy stuff now a days, which means they slowly sink off my body and I have to keep hiking them up. I HATE jean shopping. It's like for every 5 I buy, I find one good pair. That's a lot of money to spend on one good pair of jeans.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    JEANS! I hate going shopping for jeans, almost makes me cry. Not sure what I'm going to do once my jeans all get worn out. I have a big butt and a bigger waist than I'd like and there's always a gap in the back of the jeans to squeeze my butt into them, or they are too tight in the waist with the next smaller size. Also only 5ft 1 1/4" so length is an issue almost everywhere. Very frustrating. I have a 31 inch waist and 42 inch hips/butt . Not everyone is built like a long and lean teen!
  • Zakth
    Zakth Posts: 37
    Options
    I think for men it's a bit easier as most clothing companies make all of their clothes using similar measurements. I know for women the sizes can be kind of crazy and one size in brand A fits great the same size in brand B does not. But the one thing I do hate shopping for the most is pants. Just a few years back I fit into size 32 waist pants but have moved up to a size 36. Now that I have lost about 17 pounds I am fitting into 34's and even some 33's. But the reason I hate shopping for pants is because I am tall and I like my pants to be comfortable and not tight at all so either they end up looking really baggy or too tight for comfort.
  • sparklypoof
    sparklypoof Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    same for me; 38" bust, 31" waist, 40" hips. finding jeans (or work slacks for that matter) is a PITA!! >:C

I also find getting dresses that fit well to be tricky; so many of the styles right now look like sack dresses, and that does nothing but take away any shape that I have! thank goodness for taylored jackets and shrugs! :P

also, also? the dreaded bathing suit... UGGGH. don't get me started.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have the SAME problem!!! I've never found jeans that fit well until I tried the "Right Fit" jeans at Lane Bryant-- I was a blue circle, and i guess they've recently changed their sizing system, but the pants still fit the same. Those are the only pants that have ever remotely fit my figure. I've seriously got an 19" difference between my waist and hips.
    bust: 38
    waist/smallest part: 32
    hips (where waist of pants sit): 43
    hips/widest part: 51

Jeans are the worst to shop for!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Worst thing to shop for is a bra. I've measured and they still don't fit. I know I'm chesty but really they're suppossed to be made for my size and I lean over and everything falls out. Very frustrating:grumble:
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    I mostly wear stretchy type jeans. I'm also an hourglass, so it's difficult. I hate jeans shopping but mostly because the sizes are all wonky. I can wear all the way down to a size 6 at one store, but can't even dream of fitting in an 11 at another store. Yes--I even had to do an SOS call to my hubby to help me out of them because I was stuck!!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm having trouble finding shorts. A couple times I've found pairs that pretty much fit that I almost liked, but then I didn't have any room in the pockets. Otherwise it is shorts I really like...I can't find in a small enough size, so they just barely hang on by my butt...
  • AngelicaDulas
    AngelicaDulas Posts: 196
    Options
    For me it's finding tops. i have a large bust (DD) and a narrow ribcage/waist so many shirts make me look thicker and more tube like than I care for. I'm a modest person and don't like wearing low cut skin tight stuff that a teenager would wear, so I find it so hard to find something that I'm not spilling out of to make it fit better at the waist. I hate button blouses too because I usually have to be careful of "THE GAP" that happens between buttons. LOL
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    Worst thing to shop for is a bra. I've measured and they still don't fit. I know I'm chesty but really they're suppossed to be made for my size and I lean over and everything falls out. Very frustrating:grumble:
    I only buy my bras at Lane Bryant. Nothing else will fit properly!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you with your hips to waist measurement. I'm smaller now, but I'm at a 29" waist and a 36" hips, and I have somewhat thicker thighs. So finding pants that fit right is a challenge. Sometimes I'm a 6, or an 8, or even a 10. But then if it fits on thighs I need a belt on the waist or they start sliding downwards and don't look attractive. It does get easier tho as you get smaller and the difference is less. I was able to grab size 8 American Eagle shorts off the rack, try them on and I was good. No dancing around in 5 different sizes. The 6s actually fit but my lingering pooch at the bottom of my stomach wasn't looking as good in them...

Ive noticed with american eagle clothes they fit better all around. My friend is an extreme hourglass and those are the onyl pants she will buy
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have always had difficulty shopping for jeans! Not just with my hips and bubble butt, but because of the length. I am usually just a hair too tall for petites, and just a hair too short for regulars! Who the heck calculated those lengths out!!

Lately though, there is a brand of jeans I have been able to buy right off the rack. Not to sound like a commercial, but Lee Platinum jeans are awesome! They fit EVERYWHERE right! I just don't usually buy them until they are on sale, because they run about $40 per pair.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I always have the hardest time finding a good bathing suit. Even though I've lost a good amount of weight, bathing suits always fit too tight, too short, etc. I wear a size M/L shirt depending on the store and I tried on a size 16 bathing suit the other day and it was still too small!!! So frustrating...no wonder I've had the same bathing suit for the last 6 years.
  • TheCloverFreak
    TheCloverFreak Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just went jean shopping yesterday because I no choice. Before yesterday I had two pairs that i wore.

I am a size 16, and I too have the "wonderful" hourglass figure. I don't know my actual measurements but still. I when to one store and picked out a few pairs some 16 and some 14 cause the sizes are a bit funky. One size 16 was perfect, but the other one I couldn't get over my thighs! But then the two size 14s fit everywhere but the waist! I was so frustrated!

But the one thing that I REALLY hate shopping for: bras! Since i've gotten bigger, so have my boobs. I'm now 36DD. When i was a B/C I wore some of the cutest bras ever. And they were so comfy i could sleep in them. But now....I can't find one that i can wear for more than an hour! something somewhere is either poking me, pinching me, or something. And I got professionally fitted! I tend to wear sports bras a lot. But you can't really wear one of those with a halter top.
  • ImBabyBunny
    ImBabyBunny Posts: 75
    Options
    36 bust 25 waist and 38 hips. NOTHING fits me perfectly Swimsuits..they are the worst. I feel like crap because summer is fast approaching and I don't have any swim suit that really flatters me without looking to immodest or to frumpish! :(

But I have really gotten into altering my clothing... And it's pretty cool when somthing wants to know where you got your clothes from, and ka-pow! You made em! One of a kind! :)