extreme hunger

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    When hungry, eat.

I guess I just don't know the beneficial things to eat. I'm trying to figure it out, I just seem to run out of options and it never fills me up either.

Well, that's why you log... so you know what fills you up for less calories. Protein and fat are great, personally baby carrots fill me the most for the calories on days when I'm really hungry.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I agree with logging, and eating the full 2000. If you are on track for 2000, and are still ravenous... try having a small glass of water. If you are still hungry five minutes later, then have a nutritious snack. Try many small nutritious meals... may help with the hunger.
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    When hungry, eat.

I guess I just don't know the beneficial things to eat. I'm trying to figure it out, I just seem to run out of options and it never fills me up either.

Well, that's why you log... so you know what fills you up for less calories. Protein and fat are great, personally baby carrots fill me the most for the calories on days when I'm really hungry.

Baby carrots are delicious and I will definitely work those in as a snack, thank you! What are some good protein options other than meat? I know nuts can help but they don't fill me much.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So how many calories a day are you eating?
  • c_aw
    c_aw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    could be you are just eating too many carbs.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    When hungry, eat.

Baby carrots are delicious and I will definitely work those in as a snack, thank you! What are some good protein options other than meat? I know nuts can help but they don't fill me much.

I love almonds as a snack - I'll have ten (69 cals) and they help me feel satisfied in terms of crunchiness, as well as a bit of food.

For more protein - chicken strips (even cold) with a bit of cheese - they're a higher calorie higher protein snack; cottage cheese; tuna (with a bit of miracle whip); cheese on it's own, boiled egg, a protein bar (though you gotta keep trying to find one you like). Sometimes a glass of chocolate milk is also a filling, but tasty treat. :)
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I agree with logging, and eating the full 2000. If you are on track for 2000, and are still ravenous... try having a small glass of water. If you are still hungry five minutes later, then have a nutritious snack. Try many small nutritious meals... may help with the hunger.
    I may try to spread my meals out even more, that could definitely help. thank you!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    So how many calories a day are you eating?

Some days I hit a low of 1,600 and other days I get in 2,000 but it ranges. I probably hit 1,600-1,800 majority of the days. I'm also not too active right now either. If I workout then I eat back my cals.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    c_aw wrote: »
    could be you are just eating too many carbs.

It's a possibility?
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When hungry, eat.

As long as you're eating carrots, why not have some hummus too?
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    LizN63 wrote: »
    When hungry, eat.

As long as you're eating carrots, why not have some hummus too?

I've never had carrots with hummus but I will definitely try it! Thank you! I love hummus, I've just never combined the two!
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're missing/ not consuming enough of a specific macro nutrient.

For example: A family member who is a vegetarian was constantly hungry. Turns out they weren't consuming enough proteins. Swapped more proteins(non-meat) into their diet and they had less food cravings.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    malk2651 wrote: »
    Maybe you're missing/ not consuming enough of a specific macro nutrient.

For example: A family member who is a vegetarian was constantly hungry. Turns out they weren't consuming enough proteins. Swapped more proteins(non-meat) into their diet and they had less food cravings.

Thank you! I will definitely start recording things to see if that's it!
  • claptrap_beepboop
    claptrap_beepboop Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ohmeowna wrote: »
    Extreme hunger is normal when you're recovering from an ED. You actually shouldn't try to stop it. You should eat whatever it is that you want and need otherwise that is not actually full recovery. I know it sucks, and weight gain is involved but you typically cannot lose weight until recovery is completed.

Source: I have had a looooong history with EDs. Just *now* starting to lose weight. And...I still have extreme hunger days too! I still listen to it, even though it does result in weight gain sometimes and/or slow my weight loss. Trust me, if you don't listen to it, you will gain even more in the long run because your body will constantly be stuck in the "I'm still starved" phase. Yeah, learned that the hard way. There were days in recovery I would eat upwards of 10,000 calories. Now, my EH is about 3,000 when I do have it. If you think about it, your body probably has a huge caloric deficit to make up for. Losing weight can often go against that, and our bodies get a little pissed off. ;)

Good luck =)

Thank you SO much! This was very helpful! It's also nice to know I'm not alone in the experience of the extreme hunger. Knowing that it is common is helpful and puts less fear in it. Thank you! I hope you're doing well!!

No you are certainly not alone! I know it can be so scary. Just know that it is entirely normal, and nothing is wrong with you. Be patient with yourself. Recover first (you'll know, as you will no longer constantly feel like you need food or be thinking about it) and then you can slowly build your way to losing weight. One thing at a time.

Feel free to message me if you ever need anything. It's been a long and bumpy ride for me too, and I don't really want anyone else to have to suffer like that.
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I enjoy a tablespoon of almond butter with celery or half an apple as a snack. It's filling for in between meals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber might help. I like to stir greek yogurt into hot oatmeal. Warm, comforting, filling:)
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    noelkm67 wrote: »
    I enjoy a tablespoon of almond butter with celery or half an apple as a snack. It's filling for in between meals.

I need to get some almond butter and try that. Thank you!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Protein and fiber might help. I like to stir greek yogurt into hot oatmeal. Warm, comforting, filling:)

Oh! I will try the Greek yogurt and oatmeal as well! Thank you!!!
  • ctgirl1973
    Options
    I'm having extreme urges to just eat anything and everything and I usually don't get this. I'm a little paranoid and don't know how to control the urges. Any ideas?

• ctgirl1973
    Options
    It could be that your eating too many carbs. When you eat a carbohydrate, you raise your blood sugar levels, they fill you fast but then drop drastically causing you to crash and be more hungry, a feeling of depletion. Your body wants more to satisfy the drop. High carb meals cause you to be hungry right away also. Try to eat more protein and veggies. Stay away from carbs and hidden carbs. You will not be near as hungry.