embarrassing gym etiquette question

Options
I'm a relative newcomer to the gym. Is it really expected that you wipe down your equipment? Personally, it doesn't bother me that I might be sitting on someone else's sweat and it surprises me that ît bothers others. However, I don't want to be an aßß hole, so if it is basic expected etiquette, I will play by the rules.

Replies

• threefancy35
    threefancy35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, wipe it down.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Yes- please wipe down your equipment when you are done with it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    And take the weights off when you're finished.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    And take the weights off when you're finished.

That I do
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you leave a sweaty print on one of the benches or other seats, it's a nice gesture. Never saw anyone else wipe down anything else, unless they were a gym employee.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    In my gym it is a requirement that you wipe down your equipment after use and they have provided sanitizing wipes in several locations around the gym to encourage you to do so.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Yes please!!
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes. And for some seated equipment, i carry along a towel and sit on it.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, please wipe if you are sweaty and leave a mark on the bench.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Please wipe it down. The places I go to require you to wipe down the equipment you use and they provide the wipes.
  • NWGymRat
    NWGymRat Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I bring my own towel and put it under me and then when I am done a spray and wipe down the equipment .. we will love you long time..
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    Message received
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Even if I see the person before me wipe it down it's such a habit now to wipe it down, I even do it then. lol It's helping not only you stay well but the next person and of course not having to sit on sweaty equipment is always a bonus. ;)

Hopefully your gym has sanitizer bottles located around the machines so you can use that rather than just a rag by itself?

hill85670 said a mouthful, I too don't often see others do it but I do it because it's the polite thing to do whether or not another person does or not.

Yea sitting on someone elses sweat? Yup, it's gross to me. lol Besides it only takes a second, c'mon. B)
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's not always just sweat you leave behind. You wipe your face, you cough, sneeze, etc. Foreign germs and bacteria abound.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Apparently, as I'm told, those of us who go commando leave snail trails everywhere too so you know.... Gotta wipe it down.

Most people at my gym don't. I am one of the few who do. And I will even go so far as to go before and after wipe downs because I know other people don't. It's common courtesy and good gym etiquette.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Apparently, as I'm told, those of us who go commando leave snail trails everywhere too so you know.... Gotta wipe it down.

Most people at my gym don't. I am one of the few who do. And I will even go so far as to go before and after wipe downs because I know other people don't. It's common courtesy and good gym etiquette.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only few that wipe down machines at our gym too ._. , there was even some guy who asked me to hop off because he was doing 'circuit' training. lolnope.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gym. I never once saw anyone wipe down anything the entire time I had a gym membership.

It's really not a big deal, you're complaining about laying in germs (in your clothing) but then you're using your bare hands to touch barbells, dumbbells, machine handles etc that have been used a billion times and never cleaned.
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Depends on the gym. I never once saw anyone wipe down anything the entire time I had a gym membership.

It's really not a big deal, you're complaining about laying in germs (in your clothing) but then you're using your bare hands to touch barbells, dumbbells, machine handles etc that have been used a billion times and never cleaned.

A man after my own heart
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I wipe things down - benches, the pin on the weight stack, machine handles, the pins to adjust the seat/pads. I have two kids, I know how easily germs spread around on simple things like handles and knobs and we have enough illnesses being brought home from school and activities.

Only thing I don't wipe down is bars and plates, because I have this fear of someone losing their grip from the residue. Which is probably unfounded but I don't really want to test it out.
  • ashley1892
    ashley1892 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My school and community gym require it. Don't want any MRSA problems!