adding back calories burned during exercise

Hello,

I just started using this app to try and help me lose weight in combination with my workouts. I've never been one to count calories, but I thought this may help me see better results. I log my cardio workout and the calories burned during it and I see that it adds them back to your caloric intake for the day, do you think it is important to eat those calories?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    The way MFP is set up, you're supposed to eat them back to maintain your deficit and fuel your body. However, it's suggested to only eat half of them back because the database and cardio machines tend to overestimate your burn.
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    I use a Polar heart rate monitor when I exercise which are more accurate than the gym machines. I generally try to leave about 500 calories extra on work out days and none work out days I generally eat most of my alloted calories. Been working so far :)
  • malibu927 wrote: »
    The way MFP is set up, you're supposed to eat them back to maintain your deficit and fuel your body. However, it's suggested to only eat half of them back because the database and cardio machines tend to overestimate your burn.

Thank you very much
  • brirandle1 wrote: »
    I use a Polar heart rate monitor when I exercise which are more accurate than the gym machines. I generally try to leave about 500 calories extra on work out days and none work out days I generally eat most of my alloted calories. Been working so far :)

Yeah I'm thinking about getting a fit bit soon. But thanks a lot!