Vegan - need protein help!

Options
2»

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i know you said you're not a milk drinker, but do you do ok with yogurt? greek yogurt is really, really versatile and the plain version has 18g protein/cup give or take depending on brand.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    According to authoritynutrition.com the DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound (1). This amounts to (2, 3): 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.

1. Seitan – 75g per 100g
    2. Lentils – 26g per 100g
    3. Peanut Butter – 25g per 100g
    4. Hemp Seed – 23g per 100g
    5. Black Beans – 21g per 100g
    6. Almonds – 21g per 100g
    7. Sunflower Seeds – 21g per 100g
    8. Tempeh – 19g per 100g
    9. Quinoa – 14g per 100g
    10. Eggs – 13g per 100g
    11. Cottage Cheese – 11g per 100g
    12. Edamame – 11g per 100g
    13. Greek Yogurt – 10g per 100g
    14. Tofu – 8g per 100g
    15. Hummus – 8g per 100g
    16. Kale – 4.3g per 100g
    17. Milk and Soy Milk – 3.3g per 100g
    18. Spinach – 2.9g per 100g
    19. Broccoli – 2.8g per 100g
    20. 20. Avocado – 2g per 100g

Hope it helps!
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I would recommend to Google "smoothing high in protein recipes".

One of my favourites:

Roasted Strawberry Protein Smoothie
    (From Skinnytaste.com)

Servings: 1 • Size: 1 smoothie • Old Points: 4 • Weight Watcher Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 213 • Fat: 3.4 g • Carb: 33 g • Fiber: 7.5 g • Protein: 16 g • Sugar: 27 g
    Sodium: 360 mg • Cholest: 5.5 mg

Ingredients:
    1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
    1/2 tablespoon raw sugar
    1/3 cup reduced fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup fat free milk
    1 cup crushed ice
    1 tsp chia seeds6 to 8 drops liquid stevia (optional)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 425°F. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and sugar. Pour the strawberries on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 12 to 15 minutes until the strawberries start to release their juices but are still firm.
  • Liz4J
    Liz4J Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Um... someone who eats eggs and cheese all the time is NOT a vegan. Please use the terms correctly, it is insulting to people who actually are vegans when people use the label to sound trendy or something, but don't actually seem to know what it means or want to live the way a vegan lives. A vegan does not eat ANY products that come from animals (or wear them, or use them in any other way). Eggs and cheese are most definitely animal products.

I'm probably gonna get a flag for this but, untwist your panties. She may not know the correct word, English may not be the OPs first language. I'm vegan and wasn't offended in the least. This kind of attitude is what makes people think vegans are rigid know it alls.

• Liz4J
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! The feedback has been amazing!! I love all the recipe ideas. Tonight I bought some meat-less sausages and meat-less veggie ground. Looking at the nutrition listing this should help me consume more protein.

I love how everyone is so supportive! I even got a lesson on being a vegetarian vs. a Vegan! Haha!

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to copy some of this stuff and incorporate it into my daily habits!
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Um... someone who eats eggs and cheese all the time is NOT a vegan. Please use the terms correctly, it is insulting to people who actually are vegans when people use the label to sound trendy or something, but don't actually seem to know what it means or want to live the way a vegan lives. A vegan does not eat ANY products that come from animals (or wear them, or use them in any other way). Eggs and cheese are most definitely animal products.

I'm probably gonna get a flag for this but, untwist your panties. She may not know the correct word, English may not be the OPs first language. I'm vegan and wasn't offended in the least. This kind of attitude is what makes people think vegans are rigid know it alls.

Okay, okay I'll untwist. Sorry if I'm being a jerk, OP. And FWIW, I'm not a vegan, but I'm transitioning to vegan after being a vegetarian for about a year. So I'm practicing my "rigid know it all" act. And maybe a little irritable about someone getting to claim the label I'm working toward while still eating cheese. Giving up cheese has been a bit of a challenge.... :)
  • ChloeCakes2015
    Options
    Love this thread, thanks for the ideas! Someone already mentioned PB2 and I use it in everything, from PB&J on a 100 calorie sandwich round to adding 1T to my kung pao to thicken the sauce.
  • Liz4J
    Options
    Ha! It's okay! Your act came across great, I was very impressed! Haha! :p

I'm just beginning my weight loss journey and have never liked meat. Part quirk, partly because of where it comes from. I don't have the proper education about protein and how to incorporate it...so up until now my protein has come from eggs (which I can't think too much about or I won't eat them), cheese and yogourt.
    I am learning so much from just changing my ways in a few days. Today I incorporated more protein and felt amazing!

In a nutshell I'm trying to lose weight without having to eat meat. But I'm struggling with how to get the proper nutrition.

You have to be one strong person to give up cheese!! I do appreciate you setting the term straight for me. Maybe you know of a good recipe book I could use to be a proper vegetarian (see what I did there haha! :D ) while getting proper nutrition?

Good luck in your journey!! :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Before I attempted a vegetarian diet,I borrowed a book on nutrition from my local library, written by the American dietetic association. I also learned a bit from the vegetarian tips on myplate.gov

I do take a daily vitamin with iron, and a b complex, as recommended by my doctor.

As for recipes, I do not like complicated recipes, that call for ingredients that are not available to me. So we do a lot of homemade crockpot bean and veggie soups, pasta with veggies, stir frys (without oil), breakfast for dinner type dishes...

With an emphasis on cost and time savings.

Tomorrow I'm making a dinner of broiled tofu served on pasta, cooked cabbage, carrots,onions,canned baby corn with soy sauce and sesame seeds sprinkled on top. Served in a big ol' bowl.

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Liz4J wrote: »
    ...so up until now my protein has come from eggs (which I can't think too much about or I won't eat them)

If you have a concern, you might check around to make a connection with someone locally who sells farm-raised eggs. I'm blessed to have a co-worker who has chickens that are basically her pets, so I feel pretty good about eating the eggs. There are others in town I've bought from, too -- they often show up at the farmers' markets.
    Liz4J wrote: »
    Maybe you know of a good recipe book I could use to be a proper vegetarian (see what I did there haha! :D ) while getting proper nutrition?

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison is my bible. Not only does she have a lot of good recipes, but she also gives overviews of the different veggies. Her baked goods are heavenly but can be a bit of a splurge. I've told my husband that when he retires, I'll be a happy camper if he simply cooks his way through that one. Molly Katzen's Vegetable Heaven is another one of my favorites. Some of the Moosewood cookbooks are quite good.

I never liked meat as a kid, so went vegetarian at various times in my life, but somehow turned pretty carnivorous in the past decade. I still love many vegetarian foods and don't feel deprived in the slightest if offered something vegetarian or vegan. There are so many delicious recipes that don't require meat. I found my vegetarian phases really forced me to become more creative with my cooking. Have fun with it!
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks and I think the best ones for starting off are "Happy Herbivore" and "Appetite for Reduction ".
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »
    I have a lot of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks and I think the best ones for starting off are "Happy Herbivore" and "Appetite for Reduction ".

Vegan With a Vengeance is also good. I <3 Isa.
  • DalbozTheLantern
    DalbozTheLantern Posts: 18
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you are more a vegetarian than vegan if you eat cheese and eggs. =) I am a vegetarian, too, and I eat seitan, eggs, cheese, nuts, bread, beans, lentils, protein shakes, etc. Also, the protein I get from fruit, cereal, almond milk, and things like that add up.

Start keeping an eye out for foods "fortified" with protein like high protein pretzels and things like that. You can also eat soy, but it can screw up your hormones if you eat too much. I seem to be sensitive to it and can't eat it often at all, unfortunately. Seitan is what really helps give me a protein boost every day, and it's really good. I get a lot of Field Roast brand seitan foods. I also like Vega protein shakes (vanilla or chocolate). They're vegan, and the protein is plant-based.

It might seem hard at first to get enough protein, but once you start reading labels and making sure you have protein at every meal, it adds up pretty fast.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook at the moment is "Oh She Glows" (it is vegan). I got that at Christmas and have been trying lots of yummy things.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook at the moment is "Oh She Glows" (it is vegan). I got that at Christmas and have been trying lots of yummy things.

Ooh, I love that website; I didn't know there was a cookbook. It's on my wish list now
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thug Kitchen is amazing! If you're easily offended by swearing, I wouldn't recommend, but truly...the recipes are relatively easy and SO delicious. I enjoy the entertainment, but am more impressed by the cooking. It is a vegan cookbook (for those vegans on the thread).

Skinnytaste also has some great vegetarian recipes, although it isn't a vegetarian blog.

As far as protein, I do eat a great deal of cheese, but I also love beans, quinoa, lentils... Keep an eye on your grains, some do have protein. Seeds are a great source, so chia seeds are excellent. I tend to stay away from protein powder, etc. However, I also don't worry too much if I don't meet my protein goals 100%. I think meeting them would be more important if I were working on building huge muscles, but I'm not too concerned with that.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Ooh, I love that website; I didn't know there was a cookbook. It's on my wish list now

I made her amazing recipe for vegan Bailey's Irish Cream! Soooo good.