training for a half marathon

Options
I am training for my second half marathon. Unfortunately, I am starting all over again. I just started using the c25k app. I am finding that with the interval running and walking I don't have a chance to run through the calf pain. It seems that at each interval it starts over. Any advice? Does this actually help to build strength? I'm wondering if just starting my own program and pushing through will be better. Any tips will help, thank you!

Replies

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think the intervals are crucial to success in C25K—and they certainly shouldn't be causing you calf pain.

When you say pain, does that mean pain as in muscle soreness? Or actual pain? If the former, it's part of the process—exercise creates micro-tears in muscle that are then repaired by the body during rest. If actual pain, the first and most obvious question, is going to be about your shoes. You've run a half before, so I assume you know the importance of good shoes, but maybe it's time for a re-evaluation. :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I would think you would want to slowly increase mileage on each run. You need to be conditioning your cardiovascular system and your muscles for endurance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sjewell79 wrote: »
    I don't have a chance to run through the calf pain. It seems that at each interval it starts over.

What type of calf pain?
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position but on my third half marathon in three years. This time I am dealing with runners knee. It is chronic and isn't going to get any better until I shed some weight and gain some running strength, so I am just running through it.

My half is in March and I am using a modified beginners plan. I am running 3 miles TWTh, resting friday, long runs Saturday, recovery run (2 miles) or crosstraining sunday, resting monday. I also do yoga twice a week and try to get to pilates once a week.

For me personally, Couch to 5k wouldn't get me where I need to be soon enough. Right now the three mile runs are difficult, but doable, and the long run- 5 miler this week- is doable with a couple short walking breaks. This is how I trained for my very first half and it worked great but I really had to stick with it. I remember when I completed my 8 mile run without stopping and I felt AMAZING- I had never run so far in my life.

I certainly can't diagnose your calf pain, but I would maybe consider if C25K will get you trained up enough.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am training for my second half marathon. Unfortunately, I am starting all over again. I just started using the c25k app. I am finding that with the interval running and walking I don't have a chance to run through the calf pain.
    Are you saying that your calf muscle is cramping or just getting tired and running out of energy?
    It seems that at each interval it starts over. Any advice? Does this actually help to build strength? I'm wondering if just starting my own program and pushing through will be better. Any tips will help, thank you!
    What helps is time on your feet and miles and miles. Taking a break between running doesn't make a difference and doesn't negate the time you're running. It's helping to build endurance.

Have you read the initial post in this discussion?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running#latest
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second half marathon. Unfortunately, I am starting all over again. I just started using the c25k app. I am finding that with the interval running and walking I don't have a chance to run through the calf pain. It seems that at each interval it starts over. Any advice? Does this actually help to build strength? I'm wondering if just starting my own program and pushing through will be better. Any tips will help, thank you!

What kind of "pain" are you having? Where exactly is the "pain"? Is it more of a muscular soreness, cramping, or sharp pain?

If it really is PAIN, do NOT run through it. If the pain is lower in the calf around the soleus muscle, this could mean that you are over-striding (and heel striking fairly hard). This puts too much pressure on the achilles tendon and you can correct this by shortening your stride.
  • sjewell79
    sjewell79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! Its not pain pain like anything that that would cause me to stop running or be concerned with. It's the good pain! Muscle is stretching maybe I've been lazy lately and have extra weight to carry as well. It seems to me that if you can pushbpast that spot when you don't think you can run any farther or your legs are going to collapse, somehow your body goes into auto pilot, or maybe I'm just a weirdo lol