How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Anyone with the goal of losing weight: how often do you weigh yourself and why? I'm starting over and have a lot to lose (about 5 stone) and I'm wondering how often I should weigh myself. I don't want to get to obsessed but I also know that I'll want to see results. How often do you weigh yourself and how does it work for you? Thanks xx

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Daily, to watch what's going on with my body.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    When I started, every day.
    In fact, every day morning and night. morning after waking up and going to the toilet, evening just before going to bed.
    MFP doesn't even allow for 2 measurements per day. I kept my own graph.
    What happens is that you weigh 1-2 kg more in the evening than in the morning. most people don't know that, and it's good to know the range.
    Otherwise, you can get overexcited by an apparent 2kg loss or over-disappointed over an apparent 2kg gain when that's only normal variablility.
  • Mamaof2UK
    Mamaof2UK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just added you, just need more people to progress with! I would weigh once per week. Any more than that and there will be fluctuation.

Log everything you eat, weigh everything you eat too so it is accurate.

I lost 12lbs fairly easily last year by doing that. It takes a lot of dedication. With 5 st to lose, I would add in a good bit of exercise if you don't already do it? You should see results fast within 6 weeks. Good luck :)
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day first thing in the morning. Be aware that your body weight will naturally fluctuate by a pound or two so don't be put off if you occasionally go up instead of down. Look at the overall trend and you will see results.
  • InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself daily after the morning bathroom break ;)

But I only log it in mfp if I'm down 2lbs from the last time I logged my weight, which isn't necessarily the "better" way to do it, seeing all those little up and down spikes from daily weight fluctuation can clue you in to trends, especially when you're a woman, but it's how I like to do it XD I feel better about how my graph looks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I log it in MFP once a week but am keeping a spreadsheet with the daily numbers.
  • ThunderMonkeyy
    Options
    my dad weighs me daily. i climb on his back and he squats and tells me if i feel to heavy or light. he's been lifting his whole life so i trust him
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It's part of my morning ritual at this point. I do it because I like to know where I'm at everyday. Seeing a gain doesn't cause me any anxiety. I've heard that daily weigh-ins can cause that for some people. So I think it really depends on how you feel about seeing that number everyday and how well you think you can handle seeing those small fluctuations.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I weigh every other week. I don't like watching the scale go up and down all the time.
  • ReeseJimi
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because I am obsessive.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning to be consistent. I use a wifi scale that uploads my data to MFP. I'm not bothered by daily fluctuations as long as the monthly trend is downwards.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I really can't weigh myself more often than that and keep a healthy mindset.
    I also take measurements once a month and a progress picture.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I stayed in denial by avoiding the scale for too long and plan to lose the weight and maintain a loss by becoming friends with the scale and learning to be okay with the normal fluctuations that happen.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and use TrendWeight.com to calculate an exponentially smoothed moving average. The method is explained in the chapter "Signal and Noise" in John Walker, The Hacker's Diet.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning, then I plug it into my spreadsheet.

If you do that, just don't freak out at the natural fluctuations that occur. If you are doing everything right, it slowly bounces down.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh daily to learn/understand/watch trends. However I have been out of town for nearly 3 weeks and have only weighed once in that time. It is driving me nuts honestly - not the "not weighing" part so much as the "no way to weigh at all" part - my mom refuses to keep a scale in her home so it's not even an option! I can't wait to get back to MY house and MY routine. Just a few more days...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and input into the Libra app on my phone (Android only, but there are similar things for Apple and desktops, too). Gives me a 7-day rolling average and pretty trend graph. I'm a mathematician, so I love data, obviously ;) But if I miss a day, or don't feel like weighing in (like period week usually), I don't sweat it, either.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I weigh myself every day. I log it in MFP once a week but am keeping a spreadsheet with the daily numbers.

I do the same, although I just enter the daily weigh-ins on a tracker app on my phone. I like weighing in daily because I don't mind the fluctuations and I don't want a big surprise on my official weigh-in day. I joined a challenge group before Christmas and the weekly weigh-ins were very motivating. I lost just under 1 stone (12 lbs) doing this in 12 weeks.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because i like to see what makes it fluctuate. I noticed i don't panic as much now when i see it go up because i expect to go back down at least a little and every time it does.