Mid day munchies!!!

Options
I am trying to get back on track but keeping running into the same problem. Around 4 pm I become a ravenous monster. I do well all day, eat every 2 hours, have high protein, very filling meals. Like clock work, I want to eat everyyhung salty and crucnchy late afternoon/ early evening. I have tried to drink a ton of water, stay busy, eat a quick high protein snack, but it's not helping. I am literally ravenous. Any suggestions?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Homemade guacamole with chips could be an option! My favorite is the Food Should Taste Good multigrain chips. I used an entire avocado with some fresh yellow onion and lime.
    I had that combination recently at 2AM, and I was still "full" by the time I had lunch.
  • lexilu823
    Options
    I bring celery and peanut butter to work for that exact reason! It's pretty filling and I love peanut butter
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And when nothing helps...pure willpower and saying no till diner time will :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hlampe01 wrote: »
    I am trying to get back on track but keeping running into the same problem. Around 4 pm I become a ravenous monster. I do well all day, eat every 2 hours, have high protein, very filling meals. Like clock work, I want to eat everyyhung salty and crucnchy late afternoon/ early evening. I have tried to drink a ton of water, stay busy, eat a quick high protein snack, but it's not helping. I am literally ravenous. Any suggestions?

Build in a salty, crunchy snack / light meal into your calorie defecit

At around 3.30 I have toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato or carrots, popchips (salt & pepper) and hummus or a packet of quavers and diet soda dependent on what I fancy eating
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This may sound simplistic, but could it be stress? Do you work a 9-to5 day (or thereabouts)? If so, that last hour "push" to hurry and get everything finished up tends to stress people out. My last hour of work always felt like a gigantic mountain to climb.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, I find the earlier I eat in the day, the hungrier I am throughout. For this reason, I don't eat until around 10 a.m. (wake at 3-3:30). I would try that for a couple of days and see if it helps. If not, then try apples and peanut butter, pitas and hummus or maybe a quest bar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    When it happens to me, I just have an early dinner.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Could you make some healthy soup and take it in a flask to have for 'fourses'? With a couple of thin crispbreads it should keep you going. Or some fruit, eg banana.
  • apt100
    apt100 Posts: 4
    Options
    Or some home-made pop corn? Air made though. Not great if you eat it plain but can be quite filling.
  • kittkat100
    Options
    I will roast cauliflower with red pepper and sea salt if I really need something.
    It taste yummy. The salt and little crisp reminds me of potato chips. Very filing and lets me eat a lot for low calories. It will hold you until dinner.
    I think its called popcorn cauliflower or crispy cauliflower.

Not much I can do except eat the low cal veggie, give in and eat X (and readjust what I will eat later) or push thru and wait until dinner.

I mostly just push through as once you do it a week your body will adjust and say "its not mealtime" and that hungry feeling should stop nagging at you.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I try not to skip meals. If I eat regular meals, I don't get that deep sugar low at 4pm and I also eat a snack inbetween meals. Scheduling eating every 2 hours doesn't work for me because I have to think about food too often.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It may sound counterintuitive, but I find that eating three larger meals and then a before bedtime snack my appetite is much more under control than it is if I eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kittkat100 wrote: »
    I will roast cauliflower with red pepper and sea salt if I really need something.
    It taste yummy. The salt and little crisp reminds me of potato chips. Very filing and lets me eat a lot for low calories. It will hold you until dinner.
    I think its called popcorn cauliflower or crispy cauliflower.

Not much I can do except eat the low cal veggie, give in and eat X (and readjust what I will eat later) or push thru and wait until dinner.

I mostly just push through as once you do it a week your body will adjust and say "its not mealtime" and that hungry feeling should stop nagging at you.

Yes it will, but by the time it's actually roasted, it would be dinner time, lol!

But yeah... have some veggies.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Half a sliced apple dipped in a tablespoon of peanut butter might do the trick. A little sweet, a little salty. Wash it down with a big glass of water.

If you're a coffee or tea drinker, have a cup of one or the other - decaf if you're worried about it keeping you awake. I find that coffee and tea are great for curbing my appetite in between meals.
  • jessthep1rate
    jessthep1rate Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This might not work with your schedule, but maybe try just eating dinner earlier when you're starving, then having a smaller snack later on before bed when you feel hungry again? Unless you physically can't have dinner until later, there's really no reason why you should have to wait to eat until a certain time.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and low sugar jelly for a sweet fix. When I want crunchy and salty, I go for shelled peanuts. Could you be thirsty? Many people confuse thirst for hunger. Don't deny yourself if you're dying for a snack as you'll binge later. Just make smarter choices. Low calorie and high protein is ideal: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, a favorite fruit, etc.