Spaghetti Squash for Spaghetti substitution?

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    I personally didn't like the taste of it, but zucchini spaghetti is really yummy.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    I bought a Veggetti from Walmart. Turns zucchini into noodles. You cant even tell you're not eating pasta. Zucchini especially soaks up the flavours of sauce and such. Its amazing. And you can eat it hot or cold. Well worth the $15.

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    You will be disappointed if you try to use it as a spaghetti substitute, but I do enjoy it from time to time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I bought a Veggetti from Walmart. Turns zucchini into noodles. You cant even tell you're not eating pasta. Zucchini especially soaks up the flavours of sauce and such. Its amazing. And you can eat it hot or cold. Well worth the $15.

Hmm no. You can definitely tell it's not pasta, sorry. It's delicious, but it's never going to help with a pasta craving.
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Try making it with half spaghetti squash, half spaghetti. Roast the squash, pull strands with fork and add to half-cooked spaghetti. Sauté the rest of the way in cheap white wine and a Tbsp. of butter with some salt and pepper. I would personally also add sweet peas or broccoli. If they're very adventurous, mince and sauté some shallots on the side and have them sprinkle them over the top of their spaghetti. :)
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    I prefer spaghetti squash, i like the sweetness. You can eat a lot for very few cals.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    We put zucchini, eggplant, and yellow squash, mushrooms, olives, onions, and peppers in spaghetti without modifying the noodles.. But since I like to eat low carb I usually fry cabbage(or steam) and eat my sauce on that.. Super yummy.
    ericah971 wrote: »
    I prefer spaghetti squash, i like the sweetness. You can eat a lot for very few cals.

• denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    vegetti from walmart for zuchinni squash. I microwave the squash, add sugar free spagetti sauce, add meat, and seasoning. Awesome.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    My boyfriend enjoys it, but I do not (however, I personally do not believe there is a delicious substitute for pasta, as pasta is my favourite thing in the world). I have seen recipes that call for zucchini (grated/peeled to look like pasta) and carrot (grated/peeled to look like pasta). Might also be an option?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Try pureeing vegetables, adding it to a tomato sauce and using real pasta where we know for sure kids will eat.
  • Liz4J
    Liz4J Posts: 23 Member

OMG! I was just at Wal-Mart tonight but I MUST go back and get this!!!!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Spaghetti squash is delicious.

But a substitute for pasta it is not.
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Kudos for getting the family involved with healthier eating :) As for "replacing pasta" lets face it there no replacement. But to use "instead of" could work I think it's all about the right recipe for your liking. I do like spaghetti squash ! But their are only 3 ways so far I have enjoyed it. ( So far) I can't find the exact recipe but crock pot chicken Parmesan is good over spaghetti squash ( I use chicken breast .. lightly bread and brown in olive oil ) then put in the crock pot pour over your sauce of choice. And cook for about 4 hrs) serve over cooked spaghetti squash.
    I have replaced my pasta brand with Smart Taste pasta. It has more fiber in it.No taste difference. I cant stand whole wheat pasta Blaaah!! LOL
    Then with that my fav is zucchini and other veggies steam cooked and mixed with your choice of pasta sauce over spaghetti noodles.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    SnicciFit wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Make french fries, boom more veggies

How is that relevant or helpful?

THIS!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    mrsKOrtiz wrote: »

THIS!

Why isn't it? French fries are potatoes.. Potatoes are vegetables. So, please explain how it isn't relevant.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    tigersword wrote: »
    mrsKOrtiz wrote: »

THIS!

Why isn't it? French fries are potatoes.. Potatoes are vegetables. So, please explain how it isn't relevant.
    Well simply because when you add the word french to anything it becomes foreign and confusing, everyone knows that.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    I use it all the time in place of spaghetti with sauce. It's delicious.
    Why not just call it squash? Why spaghetti? Is it to trick your mind into thinking you're eating spaghetti?

Because it's called "Spaghetti Squash". OP isn't trying to trick her mind or call it something new. That's its name.
  • As a kid, I never wanted to eat squash. It was probably in my top 5 of 'I'm never eating that'. But one night at dinner (as an adult) someone offered up spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I tried it and loved it, and I couldn't taste that much of a difference though I'm sure there is one. I see it pretty cheap around, so there's no harm in trying it out. :) Hope your kids like it.
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    It is no substitute but if used in new and interesting ways it is freaking delicious! I make the tex-mex baked spaghetti squash from this site all the time and everybody loves it :)