food help!

Options
Hi
I am having trouble figuring out what foods to eat on a daily basis can anyone help me?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, just eat less, and log it.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat what you always had, only in moderation.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start by entering everything into the diary.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    All of the above ^^^^^
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    What people are saying might be good advise. However if you lived maybe of pop tarts, ice cream and doughnuts and want to eat a bit healthier, we need to know more about what you ate so far and what your lifestyle looks like. Without it it is as good as impossible to give any constructive advise.
    Happy New Year & Good Luck !
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits your calorie goal.
    You can eat larger portions of things like vegetables or grilled chicken breast than you could eat of things like cake or pizza. You likely want to get a certain amount of things like protein and vegetables/fruits each day- kind of depends on your goals.
    What are your goals? What do you eat now? What would you like to change?
  • llovett0206
    Options
    Well I sit at a desk full time.. and work out about 3 to 4 times a week. I am trying to figure out healthier things to eat during the day. I usually eat either a peanut butter sandwich or boars head buffalo and american cheese sandwich and on cold days I would eat Campbells chicken noodle soup.. I am not good at making something from breakfast so I usually eat a poptart or cheese toast.

My goal is to just be fit, and eat healthier.. I have gotten rid of soda and just drink water and occasionally I will make a spark.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Either go the moderation route or read up on nutrition and go for more veg. fruit, complex carbs and lean proteins.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    With sandwiches, the keys to making them more nutritious are generally to boost the fiber (whole wheat) and reduce the sodium (bread, meat). With care It's not a bad choice--protein, fiber, veggies, and calcium in a small package--so long as you address those two dimensions. With white bread and high-sodium lunch meat it's an entirely different beast. I pair with a fruit.

For breakfast, I would reconsider the pop-tarts. I don't know that they offer much in any of the above categories (protein, fiber, veggies, fruit, calcium). My quick to-go breakfast is an English muffin (fiber), Greek yogurt (protein/calcium), and a fruit. Today I have more time so it will be an English muffin, eggs, bacon, and raspberries. Yum! Time to eat. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well I sit at a desk full time.. and work out about 3 to 4 times a week. I am trying to figure out healthier things to eat during the day. I usually eat either a peanut butter sandwich or boars head buffalo and american cheese sandwich and on cold days I would eat Campbells chicken noodle soup.. I am not good at making something from breakfast so I usually eat a poptart or cheese toast.

My goal is to just be fit, and eat healthier.. I have gotten rid of soda and just drink water and occasionally I will make a spark.
    Good desk snacks - sliced apples & a cheese stick, raw almonds and some dark chocolate, baby carrots/snap peas/red bell peppers & hummus, tangerines (not as messy as an orange in most cases!)....and keep a bottle of water handy all the time.

Easy breakfast you can prepare the night before - overnight oats. Use a mason jar and use 1/2 cup oats, pinch of salt, 1/3 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup milk or milk substitute, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Shake it up and pop it in the fridge. In the morning add some fresh fruit (berries, bananas, etc, or raisins or craisins which could be added the night before), some walnuts & honey, grab a spoon and go. I really like this in the summer time when it's hot out, but it's good even in winter when it's cold. With a cup of hot coffee, it's delish. There are also lots of recipe ideas online for make-ahead breakfast stuff - little "egg muffins" you can bake in muffin tins, then portion out and refrigerate for the week, etc.

Overall - use your diary not just to log foods, but to look back over at the end of each day or week, see how you did calorie-wise, and also with your macros, carbs/protein/fats. What foods were high in protein, what might have put you over on carbs? It's part of the learning process and takes some time to make the changes & develop healthier habits.

Good luck!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP (about 2 1/2 months ago), I was amazed at how many calories were in some of my favorite foods. I started in the food data base and looked up lots of the things that I like and now I eat the one's with lower calories.

The overnight oats are a good way to go. If I'm in a hurry, I often have a Fiber One Cinnamon Bar. They are 90 calories and somehow keep me from getting hungry until noon.

On the days you don't work, make a homemade soup. They are easy and delicious. You could take some to work for lunch if you have a place to heat it.

Just check the calorie content of what you want to eat and make wise decisions on whether or not it's worth it.

Good Luck.